11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Round 9: West Coast V Richmond

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 9: West Coast V Richmond

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon May 14, 2018 1:53 pm

aquila audax wrote:It will be interesting to see what directions the AFL will have given to the umpires in this game regarding Nic's tackling .
Will they penalise every tackle he lays , ( ala cricket umpires "no balling" a bowler out of a match if they have decided he has a suspect delivery ) , simply because he is too strong and therefore interpreted as being too aggressive for his opponents .

Will be a genuine concern and I would hope that our PR department has already drafted a "please explain" speech for Simmo after the game. Can see Naitanui being absolutely dogged by the umpires in this game, also doesn't help that the AFL will really want to see Richmond beat us here too.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby jourgo on Mon May 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Looks like no Eagle cited out of the Giants game by MRO but Cameron was fined $2000 for kneeing Schofield.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-14/gun-roo-banned-blues-bros-off-to-tribunal
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Mon May 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Like this comment:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88835222z

Shooting Blanks: The Eagles will --------- against Richmond
Ben Anderson (thewest.com.au journo/producer and suffering Essendon fan):
Be careful to compute their height and weight. I mean it’s bad enough nasty Nic Nat injured South Australian Karl Amon. Imagine if he hurt a Victorian superstar like Dusty?
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon May 14, 2018 4:01 pm

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88835744z
“We had a close look at that one,” Christian said.

“The important part here is that whilst Shiel was carried initially forward in the tackle, Elliot Yeo let go with his left arm and put his left arm on the ground almost in a situation to break the fall of Shiel.

“It wasn’t a driving action and we believe it was OK. In fact, Yeo showed a duty of care to his opponent.

I doubt Yeo was even thinking about that at all, but we'll take it.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Pinion King wrote:Out: Schofield, Masten, McInnes
In: McGovern, Nic Nat, Jetta/Petrucelle

I'd give Sheed an extra week to recover, we haven't shown any signs that we are missing him so no need to rush him. Jetta or Petrucelle for extra pace.

Masten is back on my shit list. He has had a poor couple of games and has gone back to his old ways.

Masten was pretty solid for the first five weeks. The last two he has missed a few targets and been caught a couple of times, but not enough to be on the shit list. He is at least still looking forward (2017 - always sideways or backwards) and trying to hit a target. He has reached an age and career stage where he will be at best a solid contributor, at anything less than his best a fringe/marginal player depending on form/injury of others, and at his worst on the outer.

Even in shit 2017, when Jetta was fit and offering the run off half-back, it was obvious what a difference pace and accurate passing make. Speed is that absolute game breaker. Tackles can be mae that would otherwise be missed, defence can be turned into attack so much more quickly and opposition defenders can be caught out of position. Because of that I agree with your call for pace. In 2017 we were continually caught with transition through the middle as we were just too slow. This year we have done far more catching out and that is a happier situation to be in.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Pinion King wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-star-elliot-yeo-cleared-over-dylan-shiel-tackle-ng-b88835744z

“The important part here is that whilst Shiel was carried initially forward in the tackle, Elliot Yeo let go with his left arm and put his left arm on the ground almost in a situation to break the fall of Shiel.

“It wasn’t a driving action and we believe it was OK. In fact, Yeo showed a duty of care to his opponent.

By using the 'duty of care' statement for the second time in his life he is clearly re-justifying his crap decision of last week. He is saying to NN - this is the duty of care I expect, totally ignoring that Amon rolled and turned to the boundary and could have let the ball go and braced his impact.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon May 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Pinion King wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-star-elliot-yeo-cleared-over-dylan-shiel-tackle-ng-b88835744z

Its a fucking joke they looked at it at all really.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby HH on Mon May 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Ins: Nic Nat, Gov (if fit), Dom (if fit) and Jets (if fit)
Outs: Frase, Schoey, Bubba and Jackson

Massive game that will test our flag credentials.

GIVE. THEM. MERRY. HELL.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mead on Mon May 14, 2018 6:40 pm

“The important part here is that whilst Shiel was carried initially forward in the tackle, Elliot Yeo took sufficient care to ensure this tackle occurred a week after I got absolutely flayed in the media for my indefensibly stupid decision about Naitanui.

By ensuring that he didn't tackle him until a week after I'd been taught not to be an utter fuckknuckle about such things and received a quick call from Gil asking me to ease up on the incoherent nonsense about duty of care, Yeo showed a duty of care to the MRP"

What he really meant.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue May 15, 2018 11:25 am

Mead wrote:

“The important part here is that whilst Shiel was carried initially forward in the tackle, Elliot Yeo took sufficient care to ensure this tackle occurred a week after I got absolutely flayed in the media for my indefensibly stupid decision about Naitanui.

By ensuring that he didn't tackle him until a week after I'd been taught not to be an utter fuckknuckle about such things and received a quick call from Gil asking me to ease up on the incoherent nonsense about duty of care, Yeo showed a duty of care to the MRP"

What he really meant.

You missed a bit:

"We had a close look at that one, because I really wanted to get another Eagles player this week," Christian said. "I'm still pissed about not being picked up in '87."
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Pinion King wrote:Masten is back on my shit list. He has had a poor couple of games and has gone back to his old ways.

I find it fascinating that in a team including stars like Naitanui, Kennedy, Yeo, McGovern, Shuey, Gaff, Ryan and Rioli, that the most watched player is Masten.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Mr Q wrote:You missed a bit:

"We had a close look at that one, because I really wanted to get another Eagles player this week," Christian said. "I'm still pissed about not being picked up in '87."

So now he is admitting that he fucked up the assessment of the tackle which fucked up the grading which created a suspension rather than a fine...
"I inadvertently said he had pinned both arms, when in fact he (Naitanui) had pinned one," Christian said (while still attacking Adam Simpson and trying to justify his mistake). http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-14/c ... -criticism
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

It may be that Gov, Sheed and Jetta are still injured.

In that case I would go Natanui in for McInnes.
Richmond have a smallish forward line and transition through the middle quickly. For those reasons I would look at replacing Schofield with a quick type. Jetta or Petrucelle if either are fit, Watson if not.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Perrythegreat on Tue May 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Hard this week, but my best guess is as follows:

NN definitely in, FMac definitely out.
McGovern in, Schofield out
Sheed in, Ainsworth out

Reckon Jetta and Petrucelle need another week. I think Jack will have to earn his spot back, I think Jetta walks straight back in. Nelson the obvious out for Jetta if he is good to go.

I am worried we lose Shepp, he has copped a battering this year.

Very interesting to see the improvement of the 3+ year boys, in Duggan, Cole, Barrass, Nelson etc. Those are the guys we need to lift to be a genuine top 4.

Talk of Masten out is crazy. He's been really important this year. Link man role given Gaff's inside mid.

Kennedy lack of form a very minor concern for me. Darling has been sheltering that for him very well. Not only is possessions well down, but he is just dropping stuff that he'd snaffle. Be interested in the stats around his goals from free kicks. Would be a high percentage at a guess.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Shuey still 2 weeks is concerning.

Updated May 15, 2018
Hamish Brayshaw (knee) 3 weeks
Lewis Jetta (calf) test
Eric Mackenzie (toe) indefinite
Jeremy McGovern (calf) test
Jack Petruccelle (ankle) 1-2 weeks
Liam Ryan (ankle) 6 weeks
Dom Sheed (toe) test
Luke Shuey (hamstring) 2 weeks
Nathan Vardy (adductor) 1-2 weeks
Daniel Venables (ankle) 7 weeks
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles