11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:48 am

FXD wrote:I disagree.Willie was in the clear and had time to steady - his only blue is he should have slotted it. Chipping to Darling just leaves more room for fuck ups.

Agree. Good chance darling would have spilled the mark anyway.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:52 am

Pinion King wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:I suspect waterman might get a rest this week - wasn't his best game.

5 weeks + all pre-season games. He might be feeling it.

He doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he is only 19 with pretty much 1 pre-season under him. His body will be feeling it.

Hell JK should be dropped and sent back to EP to get his mojo back, but he is JK and that won't happen.

Mind you a lot of players were down this week.

Freo is a quick team, so we need to match speed with speed.

To be fair it was Kennedys second game back. Second game back is always the tough one because you are still feeling the effects of game one. He is needing game time to get back to his best. Although the biggest issue seems to be his set shots, which isn't really too heavily impacted by match fitness (especially when the shots are early in the game). His approach in set shots seems really off and looks like there is no confidence at all. I didn't watch too much last year but did he still have the stutter last year? Because that seemed non-existent in his 2 games this year...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mead on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:54 am

Watching the replay, I think this was a better win than it appeared at first glance.

Carlton played a very hard contested game with lots of numbers around the football, and their effort and intensity was consistent throughout- they really wanted this one. And several of our better players had quiet games or were obviously playing hurt, and we failed to get reward for effort in front of goal.

Putting all that together, this is the kind of game that weak minded teams will find a way to lose, but West Coast repeatedly weathered challenges from Carlton and without ever finding killer matchups or a way to break the game open, just gradually ran over the top of them in the third quarter.

With that in mind, its not surprising that it was the gut runners who were amongst our best- Gaff obviously had a great game, and well done to Masten, who backed up last week with another quality effort- he was one of the architects of an away win in a tough contested games. Masten looks set for a really good year- he's running hard and accumulating possessions the way he always has done, but whether its through brute experience or just because he's playing with zero expectations on him, the clangers are down and he's getting to good spots around packs- there's actually a touch of Cousins in the way he is playing at the moment, not really winning the hard ball, but reading the play out of packs well and racking up the loose ball gets when the ball clears the congestion. Also props to Lycett who I thought was plainly the best ruckman out there today.

Its very pleasing to see Yeo have another good game on ball, and with Jetta out, the club resist the temptation to start throwing him around the field again. It takes a long time for clearance midfielders to develop touch and understanding with ruckmen and their teammates, so ffs leave him there.

Sheppard, playing on about a quarter of one leg, held the backline together in the air and on the ground- I'm hoping he pulls up well because we desperately need him to handle Walters.

Up forward, Lecras was the only forward who really fired, and well done to him for summing up the situation and realising he needed to be the main avenue to goal.

Rioli is tremendous fun to watch and definitely worth persevering with- he's a fair way off being a solid, well rounded AFL player, but it is a good sign that his disposal numbers and ability to impact the game over four quarters has improved since his first game. Every single time he goes near the ball its like there's an internal struggle between his impulsiveness and inexperience and his footballing genius to see which will win, with no in between results- sometime you get a beautiful tap to advantage or a fist pumpingly great tackle and goal on the run, sometimes you get him torching his teammate or him trying to go the bump and knocking himself out. For the moment, I think his forward teammates are just going to need to shrug, let him play his natural game and accept he's goal thirsty and will do whatever seems like a good idea in the moment- his foot skills are so impressive it will rarely be a terrible decision for him to go for the big sticks. That said, in the longer term I like him further up the ground because he has the legs to kick it 50+ and when he does look for leading forwards, his lead up kicks are champagne. I'm hoping we will hear commentators call 'Rioli to Ryan' a lot in the coming years. Unless that commentator is Eddie McGuire in which case I'm more hoping he goes and gets himself a tracheotomy.

Will be a big ask to get up for the Derby after what was a hard away game. Whatever happens we are in a far better place than most would have hoped at the start of the season. 5 weeks in, we have all our big names back out on the park with some football under their belts, have blooded some kids and have a good platform of premiership points and percentage heading into what will be a tougher month of football.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bacardi Babe on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:00 pm

We're finding a way to win. Thats a big positive. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks, it doesn't matter how easy it looks either. We got dragged back to a little bit of reality yesterday but its April and you have to expect these things. I'm more interested in how we go against the Dockers next Sunday and how midfield reacts to them. Nicnat should absolutely towell up Sandilands, but the rest is a mystery. Their midfield is good and it will take some effort to beat them. We have to beat them in the air where we are at our best....... :twisted:
Even heroes have the right to bleed
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bacardi Babe on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Mead wrote:Rioli is tremendous fun to watch and definitely worth persevering with- he's a fair way off being a solid, well rounded AFL player, but it is a good sign that his disposal numbers and ability to impact the game over four quarters has improved since his first game. Every single time he goes near the ball its like there's an internal struggle between his impulsiveness and inexperience and his footballing genius to see which will win, with no in between results- sometime you get a beautiful tap to advantage or a fist pumpingly great tackle and goal on the run, sometimes you get him torching his teammate or him trying to go the bump and knocking himself out. For the moment, I think his forward teammates are just going to need to shrug, let him play his natural game and accept he's goal thirsty and will do whatever seems like a good idea in the moment- his foot skills are so impressive it will rarely be a terrible decision for him to go for the big sticks. That said, in the longer term I like him further up the ground because he has the legs to kick it 50+ and when he does look for leading forwards, his lead up kicks are champagne. I'm hoping we will hear commentators call 'Rioli to Ryan' a lot in the coming years. Unless that commentator is Eddie McGuire in which case I'm more hoping he goes and gets himself a tracheotomy.

Exactly, Im enjoying watching Rioli the most actually (along side with Waterman, Venables and Ryan). At the moment, I feel like the team breaks even with Rilio. You never know what he is going to do.... as you said... will it be magic or will he torch his team mates? Its fun not knowing what you're going to get and I enjoy it.... even when he torches his team mates! The intent is there and I love it. Its good to see the Aboriginal boys flying the flag and playing their brand. I think the teams been lacking some magic and I feel like its back in bucketloads now.

I expected the team to fail this year with the wholesale changes made to the list at the end of last year but some youngsters have been blooded and our best are all back on the park. Exciting and interesting times to be an Eagles fan.

'We may not be where we want to be but we are on our way!' :o :)
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Bacardi Babe wrote:We're finding a way to win. Thats a big positive. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks, it doesn't matter how easy it looks either. We got dragged back to a little bit of reality yesterday but its April and you have to expect these things. I'm more interested in how we go against the Dockers next Sunday and how midfield reacts to them. Nicnat should absolutely towell up Sandilands, but the rest is a mystery. Their midfield is good and it will take some effort to beat them. We have to beat them in the air where we are at our best....... :twisted:

Sandi had a ripper last night. Nic Nat did some good things at ground level but in the ruck he seemed to be finding their blokes more often than ours. On the flip side Lycett was very good and meanwhile Freo's backup ruck was Alex Pearce so that is advantage Eagles, but life is never easy going up against Sandilands.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Mr Q wrote:After listening to the game, I concluded there was two teams playing, but no one knew who the ones with yellow on their jumpers were.

I think the commentators took their guide from how Australian TV commentators the Olympics

The commentary seemed akin to encouraging a three year old for their effort against a much older kid. It was like the commentators thought the players could hear them.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:34 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Freo play two rucks next week. They have been working hard with Meek. They cannot allow Pearce to leave JK and pinch hit in the ruck.

4-1 is an excellent start to the season and a win this week would set up our season with a tough month ahead.

Hopefully Jetta is back and we blood another debutant. Both Petruccelle and Ainsworth were very good for EP. Ah Chee was solid too given his limited minutes.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bacardi Babe on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
Bacardi Babe wrote:We're finding a way to win. Thats a big positive. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks, it doesn't matter how easy it looks either. We got dragged back to a little bit of reality yesterday but its April and you have to expect these things. I'm more interested in how we go against the Dockers next Sunday and how midfield reacts to them. Nicnat should absolutely towell up Sandilands, but the rest is a mystery. Their midfield is good and it will take some effort to beat them. We have to beat them in the air where we are at our best....... :twisted:

Sandi had a ripper last night. Nic Nat did some good things at ground level but in the ruck he seemed to be finding their blokes more often than ours. On the flip side Lycett was very good and meanwhile Freo's backup ruck was Alex Pearce so that is advantage Eagles, but life is never easy going up against Sandilands.

Interesting. I was speaking to a Dockers fan friend of mine as I watched the Dockers game straight after the Eagles... We both felt Sandi has slowed down a fair bit. Of course he is a big guy and was always going to slow down, but I think Nicnat and Lycett can beat him convincingly next week. Sandi is good but Im confident we can stretch him.... The dockers cant possibly expect him to beat a combination of Nicnat and Lycett. He hasn't really got any support in the ruck from anyone else at the Dockers and it'll be all up to him. One of the Eagles strengths in 2018...we have our ruckman back... they might be underdone but they are still quality. Two quality vs one quality means I think we can take Sandi next weekend. Their midfield is what I fear most and their halfback line of Blakely and co... its been good too. We have to not only take control of the midfield but our half forward line too... Rioli and Lecca have to especially be ready if the ball comes to ground or Langdon, Blakely and Co will have some fun!
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbird on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:00 pm

The only thing I really enjoyed about the game was the final siren. Carlton were excellent and had the game on their terms for much of the day. It was a really important game for us to win - and I think winning the way we did will bode well for us in a game where we had to fight hard for everything. Some of our boys were pretty brave to play the game out - Sheppard in particular stood out, he played a solid game and was tough despite being very sore.

Eddie should not be commentating.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Deroadster wrote:Reality is coming for the eagles. Venables and Ryan are big injuries for our team.

Those two were immediate impact players. Ryan an absolute excitement machine who managed to, from game one, change the dynamic of our forward line. And Venables looked like a ready made impact, goal kicking mid: something we desperately need to help Shuey.
Big outs.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles