11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 am

This has to be a win against a weak opposition, no excuses.

Out: Venables (inj), Lecras (susp)
In: partington?????, karpany??????

Whos in the reserves is actually pushing for selection? Brander, but we are already top heavy.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Postby Bodhi on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Out: Venables (inj), Lecras (susp)

I haven't read anywhere that they are looking at the incident?
Bodhi
Regular

Postby DALBY on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am

If we lose to The Blues, Walls will be all smiles, we just can't have that!
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 pm

The team is looking a little bruised at the moment with Ryan gone, Venables injured, LeCras in doubt, and a few others pretty beaten up. So it's nice that we're only playing the blues this week :)
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Bodhi wrote:

MRO will look at it because the suns player was concused and took no further part in the game.

To the naked eye watching 75m away it looked like a good hard bump.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby wce1293 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Bodhi wrote:

I heard on the radio the MRP didn’t sit as the only person reported over the weekend plead guilty (I can’t recall who it was but it wasn’t LeCras).

I couldn’t see why it would be looked at...you’re allowed to bump, it was on the ball and it wasn’t high. If he got concussed I don’t know how, other than when he hit the ground which is just bad luck.
wce1293
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Lecca is free to play it seems. All good.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:46 pm

I think if Venables doesn't get up that Ainsworth gets a run. Hutchings might if we choose to tag Cripps (I don't believe we will).

They have a small defence which might be an opportunity to rest Waterman. Weather could be a factor too as it was ordinary in Melbourne over the weekend.

Sheppard was sore after the game as was Redden. If Redden is out I would expect Partington to get a run.

With no EP game on the weekend it is hard for players to string good games together at this time of year. It's time the WAFC did something about the WAFL byes.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Fat Side wrote:With no EP game on the weekend it is hard for players to string good games together at this time of year. It's time the WAFC did something about the WAFL byes.

Agreed. I would like the WAFL to become a 10 team competition with WCE and the Muppets having their own teams similar to Crows and Bogans. The way to do that would be to turn Peel into the the Peel Dockers and give us a team that plays out of Lathlain if the setup could be made to work.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

The Frenchman is free to play, no case to answer.

We need to put Carlton to the sword. This season is so even. After Carlton and the Muppets we have a hard run with Port (home), Giants (away) and Tigers (home). Every win and every percentage point counts.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

HH wrote:The Frenchman is free to play, no case to answer.

As it should have been; fair bump, play on. The only reason the bump had any impact at all was because Ainsworth failed to protect himself; it was always going to be certain contact of some kind. The Frenchman did right to protect himself with a bump and so should have Ainsworth. The bump is in our game to protect players just as much, if not more so, than to inflict pain. IMO the soft rule interpretations of recent years have actually made if more dangerous for players by players not being nervous enough about being hit. (Or encouraging ducking for frees.... another story)
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bigbird on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm already pumped for this game, also a little nervous. The Blues will be up for it early and you would think will be pumped. We still have some mental demons still about playing at the G and will go in as firm favorites - a tag that never sits comfortably for me this early in the season. Frenchman free to play is positive news for us.

Both teams have a lot riding on this. A win for us starts to shape our year and will give the team a lot of confidence, especially travelling to the G. It will also be interesting to see how we play it and whether the new ground & training facilities have had a possible impact.

I have a feeling this game could be extremely close and not what people are already expecting.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Bigbird wrote:The Blues will be up for it early and you would think will be pumped. We still have some mental demons still about playing at the G and will go in as firm favorites - a tag that never sits comfortably for me this early in the season. Frenchman free to play is positive news for us.

Both teams have a lot riding on this. A win for us starts to shape our year and will give the team a lot of confidence, especially travelling to the G. It will also be interesting to see how we play it and whether the new ground & training facilities have had a possible impact.

I have a feeling this game could be extremely close and not what people are already expecting.

I agree that they will be pumped by the Eagles :wink:

Seriously though, yes it's not one we can afford to take lightly. But we would know that so I'm not too concerned about that aspect. A big first quarter is needed to set the tone and prevent any belief from entering their heads this round.
I also think we can't afford to go in too top-heavy up forward this time. Quality-wise, our forwards >>> their defenders, but I don't want to give them an out via mismatches combined with shitty conditions.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby trade rosa+hansen on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Hutchings in

West coast by 30
trade rosa+hansen
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Simmo said Venebles pulled up pretty sore.

I dont know what the official injury report is but could be a few weeks.

Thats the 3rd player to do his ankle in 2018.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles