11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2018 Pre Season

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: 2018 Pre Season

Postby mepowly on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm

The Eagles are going to want to be better otherwise McGovern and Gaff aren’t going to have too many reasons to hang around.
mepowly
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:23 pm

mepowly wrote:The Eagles are going to want to be better otherwise McGovern and Gaff aren’t going to have too many reasons to hang around.

It's only a pre-season match.

Gaff can't say he had a good game, most of our seniors can't.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 am

It was expected wasn't it? Liked Govs game, Jetta was B.O.G for me.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am

DALBY wrote:It was expected wasn't it? Liked Govs game, Jetta was B.O.G for me.

There would be some TOG stats floating around somewhere.

I think a few senior players should play for EP next week before round 1.

I know it was just a preseason game but there was just zero intensity and effort. Not the sort of effort a team that many expect to slide would put in.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:36 am

Pretty woeful effort all around. The only times we stopped them scoring in their forward line was when their disposals were poor and went to one of our players, or Barrass/McGovern intercepted. Complete lack of interest by most players. Disappointing finish to the preseason.

On the plus side; Jetta continued his good form and, without Barrass and McGovern we would have been in more trouble.

Bring on R1.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
DALBY wrote:It was expected wasn't it? Liked Govs game, Jetta was B.O.G for me.

There would be some TOG stats floating around somewhere.

I think a few senior players should play for EP next week before round 1.

I know it was just a preseason game but there was just zero intensity and effort. Not the sort of effort a team that many expect to slide would put in.

Redden didn't spend a lot of time on the inside mid role - I think we were seeing how we would survive without him... Not good

Forward line just didn't work - I know there is talk of Waterman playing in Round 1, but him and Darling just don't work. Ryan won't be able to run out games this year.

A lot of players turning left into traffic when there was a free man on their right - we need some work on basic transition football.

I wonder if we limited our rotations or something compared to Freo? Had we just done a huge hitout earlier this week? They seemed to be running on top of the ground compared to our boys. At one point I watched Neale power run away from a plodding Sheed all the way into the forward line and kick at goal - zero accountability from Sheed, but Neele just sprinted as if he'd just come on.
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am

An article on the WCE site said it best. We just weren't switched on.

The team must have gone out to celebrate Nic's return the night before.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

In positive news, how good was Ryans bump? Loved it. Keep them coming.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bigbird on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Pinch of salt. Don't read too much into yesterdays efforts. 2005 Wizard Cup comes to mind as a ready made example.

Come round one, whoever runs out in the 22 will be switched on and the effort will be there, regardless of whether we have the quality.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm

DALBY wrote:In positive news, how good was Ryans bump? Loved it. Keep them coming.

Great hit. Our only highlight.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm usually not one to read much into pre season games. However, the really bad decision making, soft turnovers and poor skills from senior leaders like Bunga and Shuey are of great concern.

We had no answers to get around the zone wall that Freo set up.

Sandipants pantsed Lycett and Yeoy wasn't all that effective in the midfield.

Gov got a lot of it but that was because the ball kept coming in our defensive half. This will only increase Gov's value ironically on the trade table.

Ryan was a highlight for me but no other young uns had much impact.

I also thought Jets had a decent game. Jets better excel come round one as we will probably see Callum Sinclair return to Perth and shoulder the ruck duties for the Swans.

Based on what I saw and acknowledging it is only pre season, I think this could be a long and difficult year.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 am

HH wrote:I'm usually not one to read much into pre season games. However, the really bad decision making, soft turnovers and poor skills from senior leaders like Bunga and Shuey are of great concern.

Gov got a lot of it but that was because the ball kept coming in our defensive half. This will only increase Gov's value ironically on the trade table.

I also thought Jets had a decent game. Jets better excel come round one as we will probably see Callum Sinclair return to Perth and shoulder the ruck duties for the Swans.

Based on what I saw and acknowledging it is only pre season, I think this could be a long and difficult year.

This will be a year of transition. Young players will be played and older players phased towards the outer. There will be ups and downs. We will lose some diabolical games and get up for others that we are not expected to win. The key is that the young players get a decent run at it and we allow them to develop and make mistakes. Our expectations should be real about where we're going to finish. I would be surprised if we made the eight so that means winning 10-12 games.

Guys like Ryan, Rioli, Waterman, Ainsworth, Venables, Brayshaw, Petruccelle and Brander will need patience as none are yet to play a game. Let's hope they give us some exciting moments and a window into the future direction.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am

Fat Side wrote:
HH wrote:I'm usually not one to read much into pre season games. However, the really bad decision making, soft turnovers and poor skills from senior leaders like Bunga and Shuey are of great concern.

This will be a year of transition. Young players will be played and older players phased towards the outer. There will be ups and downs. We will lose some diabolical games and get up for others that we are not expected to win. The key is that the young players get a decent run at it and we allow them to develop and make mistakes. Our expectations should be real about where we're going to finish. I would be surprised if we made the eight so that means winning 10-12 games.

Guys like Ryan, Rioli, Waterman, Ainsworth, Venables, Brayshaw, Petruccelle and Brander will need patience as none are yet to play a game. Let's hope they give us some exciting moments and a window into the future direction.

I'd add to that list Partington, Mutimer, Cole, Ah Chee and Nelson getting extended runs.

I'm less pessimistic though - our team hasn't changed that much - Priddis, Mitchell, Petrie and Butler are gone from our team who played Port last year. We get Nic Nat / Lycett back, add in Ah Chee and Redden on the inside mid and a couple of kids (cole, mutimer, partington, venables etc.) for the last few spots. Not huge changes.

Our problem last year was running out the last quarter - if we can fix that we won't have lost those 4 or 5 games last year where we ran out of steam and parked the bus.

Small tweaks here and there and we could improve, small steps back and we miss the finals. We'll know by round 8
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby penrith eagle on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Well not much really to look forward to yet

Think there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans in the brand new stadium with the way we are going to play this year

Youngsters for me have not showed anything outstanding that they going to be top tier players. I understand it’s early but you would hope to see some outstanding talent stand out from the crowd

I think we can all agree that this list is years away from a flag

The fans will not be patient and Simpson will get the flick that’s what’s going to happen

A year of Frustration for me at least we will be in comfy seats :roll:
The will to win.......its back !!!!

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-17/c ... redictions

The majority is we are set to fall and Gaff will leave. On the bright side if he does a top 10 pick is coming our the way.

- We are all expecting this year to be a transition year as we start the growth of the kids.
- Fan's who were calling for the list clean out will do a 360 and complain as to why we did.
- Simpson won't get sacked as the club knows where it is at, but the pressure will be on for 2019.
- I wouldn't write the youngsters off just yet, they have had 1-2 preseasons, many were injured in their first year, and most have yet to play a proper game.

A year to be patient, enjoy the good times, take positives out of the bad and watch as our team turns to the next page of the history book.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles