West Coast v Fremantle
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby Mead on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:34 am

Pinion King wrote:Freo Woman sell out with 54000 tickets and only 41000 show up.

Not surprising- at $2 a pop a lot of people will buy a ticket 'just in case' and then decide on the night they can't be bothered.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:51 am

Mead wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Freo Woman sell out with 54000 tickets and only 41000 show up.

Not surprising- at $2 a pop a lot of people will buy a ticket 'just in case' and then decide on the night they can't be bothered.

Not a bad fee to pay to see the new stadium.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:06 pm

I went along to that for a look. Pretty impressed overall. The overall feel of the stadium is great. Lots of space in behind the seated areas, unlike Subi, which I liked. The skybar at the top level of the river end is very nice indeed. Great spot for a drink (when it's not blowing a gale).
I thought the plastic seats were actually less comfortable than the ones at Subi (obviously an upgrade if you've been sitting on a wooden bench though). A bit of extra width makes up for it though.
Be careful if putting a full cup of beer in your cup holder. 1/3rd of it might end up on the floor after being bounced around.
The big screens are awesome. Crystal clear picture.
Most important thing: The view of the game from the seats .... hmmm .... the steep seating is good for not being too far backward from the ground, but the sunken playing field is odd to me. I sat on level 1 and when the play was at the boundary line in front of my block I couldn't see everything. I don't get why they built it this way. To me the playing surface would be better another metre higher. Not sure what the advantage is of sinking it. Lots of clear glass/plastic panels around the place as well, which I think could be annoying if you're in the first 2-3 rows of a block.
Strange that there are so few entry/exit gates at the ground. Very different to Subi but not a big deal.
Having a roof is going to be a big plus (for those actually protected by it obviously). On the negative side, it was very weird having a large area in direct sunlight, followed by a large area in the shade, which was then followed by another area of direct sunlight caused by the fairly tall gap between the top of the stadium structure and the start of the roof. I reckon that's going to be annoying as heck to play in. It also made life tough for the tv screens (and presumably also the tv broadcast?) to cope with - the result being losing detail in the shadows.

Bottom line, lots of positives, but first impression is that it ain't perfect either.

I too am sceptical of how much difference the bridge is going to make. It will be a nice way to get to the footy for sure, but my recollection is that there is bugger-all parking in that area of East Perth. Are that many people going to walk from the city? I used to in the WACA days, which was already a decent hike, and Optus is a significant distance further.
Crown are going to absolutely love it I reckon. (I also expect that they will start charging for parking on match days, to avoid having it all filled by footy patrons who prevent Crown customers from being able to park there). I took the Armadale line train to get there, and after the game about a quarter of the train emptied at Burswood station, where they had obviously parked.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:39 pm

OFFS can we please build something in this state that does not give everyone lead poisoning?! :oops:

Excessive lead levels in water in Optus Stadium drinking fountains
Australian Drinking Water Guidelines state the concentration of lead should not exceed 0.01mg/L. But at one drinking fountain, the concentration was 0.14mg/L — 14 times greater. Another fountain, at one of the new children’s playgrounds in Stadium Park, was almost 10 times higher. The guidelines state the typical concentration of lead in Australian drinking water is less than 0.005 mg/L. All six fountains sampled by The Sunday Times this week exceeded the guideline maximum.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Hamburger on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:OFFS can we please build something in this state that does not give everyone lead poisoning?! :oops:

Australian Drinking Water Guidelines state the concentration of lead should not exceed 0.01mg/L. But at one drinking fountain, the concentration was 0.14mg/L — 14 times greater. Another fountain, at one of the new children’s playgrounds in Stadium Park, was almost 10 times higher. The guidelines state the typical concentration of lead in Australian drinking water is less than 0.005 mg/L. All six fountains sampled by The Sunday Times this week exceeded the guideline maximum.

A red flag indeed, but one that needs to be verified by getting an independent party who knows what they are doing to collect the samples. Reading the article I have no potential problem with either of the labs contracted to assess the results, but from my own experience of water sampling it is incredibly easy for the person taking the samples to contaminate them. Needs to be an experienced person doing the actual collection of the samples.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 am

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:OFFS can we please build something in this state that does not give everyone lead poisoning?! :oops:

Did the Emperor have shares in a lead mine? :P
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 am

Mr Q wrote:

*Tin Foil Hat On*

I have a theory going with some friends that Perth has an overall lead problem in it's water supply (either in the piping or our storage) which the government is aware of, not liable for and unable to fix without replacing our whole system. Independent testing only occurs on new constructions, thus we hear about these issues.

The Government admitting it would only cause panic and the levels are probably relatively safe.

*Tin foil hat off*
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby farmer joe on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:47 am

You serious have to wonder if the level set is actually achievable at new projects that haven't been flushed properly with regular use.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm

CouchPotato wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

*Tin Foil Hat On*

I have a theory going with some friends that Perth has an overall lead problem in it's water supply (either in the piping or our storage) which the government is aware of, not liable for and unable to fix without replacing our whole system. Independent testing only occurs on new constructions, thus we hear about these issues.

The Government admitting it would only cause panic and the levels are probably relatively safe.

*Tin foil hat off*

Not as far-fetched as you would think. Some of the pipes would be decades old, metals would be leeching into the water supply.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Not as far-fetched as you would think. Some of the pipes would be decades old, metals would be leeching into the water supply.

True. The entire world has old water supply infrastructure mixed in with the new. Most pre WW2 water systems had lead piping at the connection end because it was a soft workable metal. Even the large iron pipes of old were not the modern high purity stuff you get today. Lead would be throughout the Perth water system.
A number of water authorities add orthophosphate to the water system to build up pipe lining and keep lead bound.

If you want to have a look at how badly it can go wrong, do a search for 'Flint Water Crisis' and have a read. Flint Michigan managed to contaminate it's water system with lead by changing water supply which resulted in old pipes shedding lead into the system. A city of nearly half a million ended up being supplied by bottled water and over 100 000 people were potentially exposed to high levels of lead in the drinking water. 15 died.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am

I see the scratch match between the Eagles and the Dockers has now been moved away from Domain due to safety concerns and poor grass quality (not that we could go an see it)

A sad end to Subiaco, but it always surprised me that they wanted to play there again
CouchPotato
Regular

Postby farmer joe on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:31 am

Went to the stadium last night for the first time. Very impressed. Uber’d Out to crown which was a debacle due to a crash in the tunnel. Trained back to Perth Central after Ed finished. No problems , no dramas and a 1000 times better than catching the Mandurah train from Subi.
Can’t wait till round 1 as I checked our seats out and couldn’t be happier.
Well done Mr Barnett.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 pm

The West Coast Eagles, in conjunction with Gloucester Park Harness Racing*, are pleased to offer West Coast Eagles members an exciting event and parking opportunity for the 2018 AFL season.

For $185, members can purchase the ability to park at Gloucester Park, located next to the Matagarup Bridge which, upon completion, will allow easy access by foot to Optus Stadium. It will also include a dedicated members area with access to exclusive offers and on-site food and beverage options.

Prior to the bridge's completion in mid-2018, members who park at Gloucester Park will be able to catch Transperth shuttle buses to Optus Stadium.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: Stadium issue

Postby farmer joe on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:34 pm

farmer joe wrote:I just think the whole thing is a joke. What happened to the squillions from the resources boom. Fuck me!Why cant a state with the natural benefits that we have build a world class sporting stadium. Somebody, somewhere should held to account for the joke that is Subiaco oval. Bloody Barnett can come sit with me in the 3 tier stand instead of hob-knobbing it in the corporate boxes. He would then have some idea as to what we are on about! And yes exiting that stand is dangerous.

I think this was my first post in the stadium thread that had already got to 40 pages. Feb 2009.

The day I had become convinced would never happen has arrived. Well done to Colin Barnett and all involved.

Also super stoked to be going to a stadium not operated by the WAFC. Karma is a bitch.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Travelled in by Public Transport. Fast and efficient. Was really pleased with the service.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles