Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

RANT: one thing i hate.................

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: RANT: one thing i hate.................

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Mr Q wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Having to pay for parking at hospitals. Especially PCH.

3.60 an hour. if i stayed for 3hrs and 10mins, id still be charged for 4hrs.

We've spent on average $150 a month on parking there this year.

Unfortunately there's an aspect of this where the government inexplicably pays one of the big parking companies to run the car parks. Hence the half a million a month bill that the government got for the year or two before PCH opened.

The problem is that the parking can't be a free-for-all, or it won't be available for those who actually need it, but it also needs to be available at a reasonable cost. For the period I worked out there, I had staff access to the multi-story, which was then only $6/day, but that was needed to provide staff with parking - and we were clearly told we'd lose that privilege as normal workday staff if there was a reqirement for shift workers to access those times.

I'm certainly not defending the costs of parking there, but kmnow that there would have to be some parking charges there to make any parking available. What I would like to see would be a permit for long term patients at the QEII campus (and other similar health centers) to access the public areas of the carpark at the cost of the staff parking (and perhaps, out of hours, the staff areas as well).

$2 an hour capped at $10/day i can live with. $25/day is just gouging from people who need some luck.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Mr Q wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Having to pay for parking at hospitals. Especially PCH.

3.60 an hour. if i stayed for 3hrs and 10mins, id still be charged for 4hrs.

We've spent on average $150 a month on parking there this year.

Unfortunately there's an aspect of this where the government inexplicably pays one of the big parking companies to run the car parks. Hence the half a million a month bill that the government got for the year or two before PCH opened.

The problem is that the parking can't be a free-for-all, or it won't be available for those who actually need it, but it also needs to be available at a reasonable cost. For the period I worked out there, I had staff access to the multi-story, which was then only $6/day, but that was needed to provide staff with parking - and we were clearly told we'd lose that privilege as normal workday staff if there was a reqirement for shift workers to access those times.

I'm certainly not defending the costs of parking there, but kmnow that there would have to be some parking charges there to make any parking available. What I would like to see would be a permit for long term patients at the QEII campus (and other similar health centers) to access the public areas of the carpark at the cost of the staff parking (and perhaps, out of hours, the staff areas as well).

$2 an hour capped at $10/day i can live with. $25/day is just gouging from people who need some luck.

Outsourcing parking to Wilson's at major tourism sites (Maritime Museum) is counter-intuitive for mine. We need to encourage people to come here and visit sites not rip them off.

The cost of parking at a Wilson's car park is just ludicrous and does nothing to benefit the state only to fill the abundant coffers of the company.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 am

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:
Mr Q wrote:Unfortunately there's an aspect of this where the government inexplicably pays one of the big parking companies to run the car parks. Hence the half a million a month bill that the government got for the year or two before PCH opened.

Outsourcing parking to Wilson's at major tourism sites (Maritime Museum) is counter-intuitive for mine. We need to encourage people to come here and visit sites not rip them off.

The cost of parking at a Wilson's car park is just ludicrous and does nothing to benefit the state only to fill the abundant coffers of the company.

I agree. Bring on the age of driverless cars and vehicle sharing so that this increasing jacking up of parking costs becomes much more avoidable. I hate Wilson with a passion.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Mykidsdad on Mon May 20, 2019 12:23 pm

The final season of GOT....a big production budget couldn't mask the poor writing
Damn its good to be the reigning premiers
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 am

Mykidsdad wrote:The final season of GOT....a big production budget couldn't mask the poor writing

Went downhill after the show overtook the books.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri May 24, 2019 9:52 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Mykidsdad wrote:The final season of GOT....a big production budget couldn't mask the poor writing

Agree with this

They definitely struggled after they passed the books. This season in hindsight looks like they had thending set and just winged it inbetween
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Fri May 24, 2019 11:33 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

Agree with this

They definitely struggled after they passed the books. This season in hindsight looks like they had thending set and just winged it inbetween
Have to agree on the slip in writing standard.

They also painted themselves into a few plot corners where they really had no choice but to make an event happen or the whole thing ended.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:

Agree with this

Have to agree on the slip in writing standard.

They also painted themselves into a few plot corners where they really had no choice but to make an event happen or the whole thing ended.

They shot them self in the foot by limitting this season to 6 episodes. Yes they were longer eps but the missed storylines and missing plots could easily filled another 4 eps, plus the extra eps would have created the feeling of time elapsing rather than the seemingly rushed timeline we were dished up
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am

Need to rant. This just annoys me both as a driver and a pedestrian. People giving way to pedestrians unnecessarily. I have no issue with letting them thru if traffic is built up and you are barely moving anyway, but stopping free flowing traffic (especially if there is a break a couple of cars later) shits me off. The biggest issue i have with it is that by the time the pedestrian actually realises they are being let thru there would have been enough time for a natural break in traffic to let them go so effectively traffic has been stopped for no other reason than the driver to think they did their good deed for the day.

The reason this has come up today is because i was driving home, there was one car in front of me, none behind me. We go into the roundabout, then they stop at the exit to let some pedestrians thru. There was no other cars near the roundabout and as i said before, by the time they realised, id have already been thru had we not stopped.

Im not against random acts of kindness, but time and place. And make sure they are actually beneficial...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:Need to rant. This just annoys me both as a driver and a pedestrian. People giving way to pedestrians unnecessarily. I have no issue with letting them thru if traffic is built up and you are barely moving anyway, but stopping free flowing traffic (especially if there is a break a couple of cars later) shits me off. The biggest issue i have with it is that by the time the pedestrian actually realises they are being let thru there would have been enough time for a natural break in traffic to let them go so effectively traffic has been stopped for no other reason than the driver to think they did their good deed for the day.

The reason this has come up today is because i was driving home, there was one car in front of me, none behind me. We go into the roundabout, then they stop at the exit to let some pedestrians thru. There was no other cars near the roundabout and as i said before, by the time they realised, id have already been thru had we not stopped.

Im not against random acts of kindness, but time and place. And make sure they are actually beneficial...

Amen to this. It shits me as a pedestrian as well when a car slows down or stops unnecessarily for me, to the point that when I feel someone is about to do that I'll often face the other way and pretend not to notice them. It literally would have been quicker for you to keep going past at the speed you were doing and I crossed behind you, than you slowing and stopping and gesturing.
I'm someone who drives a fair bit, but also walks a lot. It's pretty obvious that when there's a lot of traffic it's best for everyone to if we keep it flowing. It happens a *lot* when I'm walking. I wouldn't complain if I was frail and slow, but I get around just fine.

It also shits me as a driver when some other driver who clearly does not know they have right of way, stops and tries to wave me through. Learn the freakin rules buddy and keep things moving. And it's not just at roundabouts either. Just the other day I'm opposite another car at traffic lights. They're going straight, I'm turning right. Lights go green and they are waving me to go through. WTF? a) if I go and then you decide to run into me whose fault is that going to be? b) we were literally the only 2 cars at the intersection with green lights. Just how impatient and in a hurry did I look?? Those 4 seconds I was going to need to wait really weren't a problem. Now I've waited 4 seconds and neither of us have gone anywhere. Great plan. Very helpful all round. Two thumbs up.

Time to take up cycling I think. Then I can be king of the road and the footpaths and do what I please.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 am

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Time to take up cycling I think. Then I can be king of the road and the footpaths and do what I please.

King of the road and the footpaths and a pariah all at the same time!

Nothing annoys me more than these entitled shitheads. They've been inexplicably empowered ... and boy do they know it!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

jourgo wrote:
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Time to take up cycling I think. Then I can be king of the road and the footpaths and do what I please.

King of the road and the footpaths and a pariah all at the same time!

Nothing annoys me more than these entitled shitheads. They've been inexplicably empowered ... and boy do they know it!

Vegan cyclists are the worst.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:11 am

I don't understand why you would want to be mixing with all these cars that could quite easily kill you with one wrong move.

But also dont know why they dont go the simple approach and make it that you need a form of registration/licence to be riding on a main road. That way it shuts down the whole "us drivers pay our way" arguement and allows some level of training to be enforced on cyclists
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby drsoop on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:46 pm

As a former commuting cyclist, I can understand both sides of this one..
Unfortunately there are dickheads no matter the form of transport, I think people remember the cyclists more because they are a little less the norm, wear ridiculous wannabe Tour-rider clothing, and the aforementioned vulnerability.
Speaking from experience, cyclists encounter reckless/careless driving that endangers their life on an almost daily basis, and I'm sure this contributes to the sometimes explosive reactions to perceived near-misses that cyclists can exhibit. Not excusing bad behaviour, but it is a matter of perspective. When I was cycling to work I wished that every driver cycled to work one week a year, to experience how frightening it can be.
At the same time, some cyclists are their own worst enemy, it annoys me greatly when I see riders on busy arterial roads when there are dedicated cycle paths just a block away, alot of that is rider education, and investment in cycling Infrastructure which all Australian cities could improve.
Tolerance, respect and good manners are qualities in short supply these days, and both drivers and riders would get along alot better if they all had more of them.
drsoop
Regular

Postby hendo1963 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Kiss cancelling there Aussie tour, was so looking forward to this, was taking my 19yo daughter to her first Kiss show, as she has grown up listening to me playing lots of Kiss.
Hopefully they can reschedule for another time. :evil:
hendo1963
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems