Sun, 27 May 2018 • 11:10 WST
West Coast v Hawthorn
Game Focus

The Latest MOVIES Thread

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Latest MOVIES Thread

Postby DALBY on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Eliot Mess wrote:R-R-R-R-rev-en-enanttt!

Leo should win his first Oscar too
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby aquila audax on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Watched "The Dressmaker" on a flight home .
Thought it was excellent . The story , all the cast ( especially Judy Davis) and the photography ( especially the aerial shots at the start of the movie ).
aquila audax
Regular

Postby farmer joe on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Went and saw The Big Short today. As a tax accountant who doesn't do kickbacks or side deals it only reiterated that the way that we do it is the right way. The banking, financial planning. Insurance and real estate industries are a blight on the country.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

N

Postby Eliot Mess on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 pm

farmer joe wrote:Went and saw The Big Short today. As a tax accountant who doesn't do kickbacks or side deals it only reiterated that the way that we do it is the right way. The banking, financial planning. Insurance and real estate industries are a blight on the country.

Interesting film...I think they glossed over the real baddie, the guy in the Long Black Stretch Limo. He was one of the ones who put the Gee in Global. (By bundling CDOs into an even higher-level derivative and leveraging huge sums against these turds-in-a-moneybag-in-a-shinybag-in-a-big&glossybag.)

I was amazed to see the real Savant of the situation, Mike Burry, go so early with 1.3billion dollars on his visionary plan...was it 2002 or 2004? He knew the loans were not going to hit the wall until 2ndQ 2007. No wonder his clients freaked.

(Mike Burry invented or got the bank to invent the weapon that he used to hack open the Pinata[AAA+] only to see there was not much inside.)

And no one saw that that the S&P and prob Moody's ratings would be unobjective (to put it kindly) when the turds hit the fan....
Is it not S&P who put the credit ratings on this very state we live in?
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby sydney eagle on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:09 am

Saw "The Hateful Eight" last friday. Interesting as a character study,violent but too many of the characters were just too unlikeable for me. It is also very long and could perhaps be shortened without harming the story.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Watched "Hail Caesar !" on friday and found it to be a lot of fun. But then I like the Coen brothers work in general.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eliot Mess on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:25 pm

sydney eagle wrote:Watched "Hail Caesar !" on friday and found it to be a lot of fun. But then I like the Coen brothers work in general.

I was keen, then read that it was an average comedy that had "too many flat spots"...people walking out...
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:06 am

sydney eagle wrote:Saw "The Hateful Eight" last friday. Interesting as a character study,violent but too many of the characters were just too unlikeable for me.
Yeah, that can be a problem with some of these movies.
I get that the "lovable rogue with the heart of gold" has become a tired cliché, and that the sordid portrayal of these characters is probably more realistic, but as a viewer it can leave you with nothing to invest in. There's nobody you want to see triumph, and it just leaves me feeling depressed.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Leo has finally won best actor. About time too. :D
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Eliot Mess on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:00 pm

DALBY wrote:Leo has finally won best actor. About time too. :D

You picked it!
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby FXD on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:46 pm

The internet has gone into meltdown for Leo. I'm happy for him. Well deserved, he has had a great career.

I still think The Wolf of Wall Street was a stronger performance from him than The Revenant, but he certainly suffered more for his art in the latter.
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eliot Mess on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:07 pm

FXD wrote:The internet has gone into meltdown for Leo. I'm happy for him. Well deserved, he has had a great career.

I still think The Wolf of Wall Street was a stronger performance from him than The Revenant, but he certainly suffered more for his art in the latter.

Blood dripping nom noms for Mr Vegetarian....
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby sydney eagle on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Saw "Zootopia" last friday and enjoyed it. Lots of in jokes (the sloths running the DMV for example) and Judy Hops made a plucky heroine.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:38 pm

sydney eagle wrote:Saw "Zootopia" last friday and enjoyed it. Lots of in jokes (the sloths running the DMV for example) and Judy Hops made a plucky heroine.

Took the kids (and us of course....) to see Zootopia on Saturday. I thought it was a fantastic movie for kids and adults.... even if the whole time I kept thinking the movie was one big political statement masquerading as a kids movie! Some very funny bits though. The sloth part cracked me up :lol:
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE06 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:54 pm

FXD wrote:he certainly suffered more for his art in the latter

The only thing that's suffered over the years for his art is his what-not
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems