Sun, 27 May 2018 • 11:10 WST
West Coast v Hawthorn
Game Focus

Sales Tactics - Cowboy Companies

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Sales Tactics - Cowboy Companies

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:58 am

Has anyone on here had annoying experiences with sales people, more importantly those that offer highly inflated prices then magically discount them by 40%.

Last week I organised a company to repair our rollershutter in the main bedroom, then after that was completed I asked them to quote for roller shutters for the remaining 3 spare bedrooms. the main purpose is to darken the room and the heating/cooling effects. This company quoted me up no problems, no hassles, no hard sell. just here's the quote, I only offer the electrical remote shutters and that was the best price he could do for me. I was pretty happy with that, I had another 2x companies coming out that day to do measurements and quotes.

Company 2 rocks up and takes the measurements straight away. Provides a very brief spiel and showed me how the shutters operate, the materials used etc etc. I was happy with this in my line of work, I do get into the technical and quality aspects of things. he offered me a price for the manual wind up/down shutters then a price for electric ones. the quote was virtually on par with the first company.

Company 3 were really an afterthought, they had one of those pop up stalls in the local shopping centre, so I stopped and made an enquiry and were initially scheduled to be the second quote of the day. I got a call the day before around 7pm confirming the time and also an odd request that my wife be there, I said mate I cant guarantee that she has activities with the baby to do. he really insisted that she be there for the quote. this immediately put me offside, I said yeah yeah whatever with the knowledge that she wont be there anyway. Then this person mentioned that they are currently doing promotions so that the offer made will have 'huge savings' and that it will be a 'yes/no' offer. this was another thing that annoyed be, basically inferring that there will be pressure for me to sign up on the day. I replied that it would be irresponsible of me to agree to that as I will be getting multiple quotes on the day and will be evaluating each quote based on cost and quality of the shutters (in reality all come from the same company, no big difference) He asked if they can be the last quote of the day and I agreed.

Company 3 ended up being 50minutes late. the wife had a physio appointment so I was looking after a 6 month old. Company 3 was friendly enough but was initially making small talk. FFS just measure up and give me a quote, but he dragged out the technical presentation, trying to say that their products are far more superior, eventually he went out and did the measurements and quote. by this time my wife came home and he asked her if she wanted to go through the whole thing. she replied that she wasn't bothered and left the decision up to me as I'm paying for it :lol: (so their goes company 3's idea of playing to the weaker of the couple....P.S shes way more stubborn/stronger than me). Anyway, after all that the gist of it his offer was 3x the price of the other two quotes, then with their 'promotion' it was still 2.5x over. I laughed and told him I don't accept, and he proceeded to call his 'boss', mentioned he could drop the price down if I had a sign out the front for 6 months, I still laughed and told him his lowest offer was still 1k over the lowest of the 2 quotes. by then he got shitty and accused me of not comparing apples for apples. i again laughed and said i dont believe the quality of what your offering is worth 3 times more than your competitors.

Company 3 tried very hard to pressure me up for the sale but in reality they lost me the day before by insisting that my wife be there and the whole 'yes/no' offer.

sad thing is i have to go through this again when i buy a car in a few months.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Sales Tactics - Cowboy Companies

Postby OccidentalShoreline on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:41 pm

I love that the two biggest investments most of us will make are prone to the dodgiest sales techniques. This includes the car salesman who tried to tell me that somehow a test drive was a binding contract of sale, and that he had my driver's licence number. He didn't take it too well when I laughed at him, and was not too appreciative of the friendly advice I gave him about his motivated salesmanship.
OccidentalShoreline
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Has anyone on here had annoying experiences with sales people, more importantly those that offer highly inflated prices then magically discount them by 40%.

Last week I organised a company to repair our rollershutter in the main bedroom, then after that was completed I asked them to quote for roller shutters for the remaining 3 spare bedrooms. the main purpose is to darken the room and the heating/cooling effects. This company quoted me up no problems, no hassles, no hard sell. just here's the quote, I only offer the electrical remote shutters and that was the best price he could do for me. I was pretty happy with that, I had another 2x companies coming out that day to do measurements and quotes.

Company 2 rocks up and takes the measurements straight away. Provides a very brief spiel and showed me how the shutters operate, the materials used etc etc. I was happy with this in my line of work, I do get into the technical and quality aspects of things. he offered me a price for the manual wind up/down shutters then a price for electric ones. the quote was virtually on par with the first company.

Company 3 were really an afterthought, they had one of those pop up stalls in the local shopping centre, so I stopped and made an enquiry and were initially scheduled to be the second quote of the day. I got a call the day before around 7pm confirming the time and also an odd request that my wife be there, I said mate I cant guarantee that she has activities with the baby to do. he really insisted that she be there for the quote. this immediately put me offside, I said yeah yeah whatever with the knowledge that she wont be there anyway. Then this person mentioned that they are currently doing promotions so that the offer made will have 'huge savings' and that it will be a 'yes/no' offer. this was another thing that annoyed be, basically inferring that there will be pressure for me to sign up on the day. I replied that it would be irresponsible of me to agree to that as I will be getting multiple quotes on the day and will be evaluating each quote based on cost and quality of the shutters (in reality all come from the same company, no big difference) He asked if they can be the last quote of the day and I agreed.

Company 3 ended up being 50minutes late. the wife had a physio appointment so I was looking after a 6 month old. Company 3 was friendly enough but was initially making small talk. FFS just measure up and give me a quote, but he dragged out the technical presentation, trying to say that their products are far more superior, eventually he went out and did the measurements and quote. by this time my wife came home and he asked her if she wanted to go through the whole thing. she replied that she wasn't bothered and left the decision up to me as I'm paying for it :lol: (so their goes company 3's idea of playing to the weaker of the couple....P.S shes way more stubborn/stronger than me). Anyway, after all that the gist of it his offer was 3x the price of the other two quotes, then with their 'promotion' it was still 2.5x over. I laughed and told him I don't accept, and he proceeded to call his 'boss', mentioned he could drop the price down if I had a sign out the front for 6 months, I still laughed and told him his lowest offer was still 1k over the lowest of the 2 quotes. by then he got shitty and accused me of not comparing apples for apples. i again laughed and said i dont believe the quality of what your offering is worth 3 times more than your competitors.

Company 3 tried very hard to pressure me up for the sale but in reality they lost me the day before by insisting that my wife be there and the whole 'yes/no' offer.

sad thing is i have to go through this again when i buy a car in a few months.

We recently had some quotes on artificial lawn for the backyard. I was immediately put off by the salespeople telling me little about their product but running down the competition. I can make up my own mind about the competition, I just want them to tell me what they offer. I am not interested in hearing sales people making disparaging remarks. It turns me off straight away.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mykidsdad on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

Another dodgy tactic they use is to give away free raffles tickets. They get your name and number and funnily enough, everyone wins second prize which is usually a big discount (on an inflated price). Roller shutters, insulation & vacuum cleaner salesmen.... Always get multiple quotes.

I had one that i marched to the curb a few years ago when he got pushy and tried to shame my Mrs into buying his overpriced cleaner.
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:21 pm

it is a very annoying tactic, not very ethical either.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Was this by any chance a "Not Ancient" company? They sell everything from roof-coating, and roller shutters, to solar panels. And they are a bunch of bandits.

Sure, caveat emptor, and all that, but there's no reason for their dodgy behaviour except to rip people off. Do a decent job, charge a decent price, everyone's happy.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Was this by any chance a "Not Ancient" company? They sell everything from roof-coating, and roller shutters, to solar panels. And they are a bunch of bandits.

Sure, caveat emptor, and all that, but there's no reason for their dodgy behaviour except to rip people off. Do a decent job, charge a decent price, everyone's happy.

I'm on a local area Facebook chat room. Many small local businesses promote themselves (on the day permitted). I have found it to be extremely helpful when needing a sparky, plumber, roof repairer or gas fitter. The location of the business means that they have to provide an excellent service or they won't survive. Plus the money stays local and they are handy if any problems arise. No hard sells, no pressure. It's the way to go.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems