5%
Shooters, Fishers, Idiots
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 22

Re: WA State Election 2017

Postby Total Package on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 am

Heard Malcolm Turnbull on 6PR this morning flat out lying to everyone about the GST and being the slimy weasel he is.

Gareth Parker who does the morning program wasn't happy that for weeks they'd been asking Turnbull to talk on his show with no outcome... instead Turnbull chooses to go 6PR with Basil and his moron sidekick and their breakfast show... who's investigative journalism and knowledge of politics you could fit onto a postage stamp.

In turn Turnbull promised on there that WA was going to get 70-75% of the GST back which Gareth Parker said was a flat out lie and would have pulled him up on it if he hadn't tried to dodge his show. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turnbull is just one of the slimiest creatures around.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:56 am

Total Package wrote:Heard Malcolm Turnbull on 6PR this morning flat out lying to everyone about the GST and being the slimy weasel he is.

Gareth Parker who does the morning program wasn't happy that for weeks they'd been asking Turnbull to talk on his show with no outcome... instead Turnbull chooses to go 6PR with Basil and his moron sidekick and their breakfast show... who's investigative journalism and knowledge of politics you could fit onto a postage stamp.

In turn Turnbull promised on there that WA was going to get 70-75% of the GST back which Gareth Parker said was a flat out lie and would have pulled him up on it if he hadn't tried to dodge his show. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing is he may well be right. Our GST share is so reliant on iron ore prices and the royalties the state receives. If the ore price hadn't rebounded like it has I would have been confident that 70-75% was going to happen sooner rather than later. There is ever chance that ore will go back to $20-40/tonne and that will have big impacts on royalties and the GST split.
I am a fan of the Nationals plan. To me it is a no brainer. Make BHP and RIO pay.
The one thing I would be fighting for with the GST split is for gambling revenue to be included in the calculations. As a state we loose out big time by "doing the right thing" in regards to gambling. From a federal distribution of funds point of view this should be noted and recognised in the GST split.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 am

farmer joe wrote:
Total Package wrote:Heard Malcolm Turnbull on 6PR this morning flat out lying to everyone about the GST and being the slimy weasel he is.

I am a fan of the Nationals plan. To me it is a no brainer. Make BHP and RIO pay.
The one thing I would be fighting for with the GST split is for gambling revenue to be included in the calculations. As a state we loose out big time by "doing the right thing" in regards to gambling. From a federal distribution of funds point of view this should be noted and recognised in the GST split.

I thoroughly agree on both of these points. Marshmallow Malcolm won't go for it.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 pm

So Mr Magoo wants to make sure WA jobs go to West Australians.

Is he going to build a Wall and make the Mexicans pay for it?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 pm

farmer joe wrote:I am a fan of the Nationals plan. To me it is a no brainer. Make BHP and RIO pay.

What he proposes, would in fact be almost impossible to implement.

In addition to all the usual taxes they already pay, AND the Royalties, some of their projects are still paying a legacy arrangement of 25c per tonne.
This was agreed upon some 50 years ago, to fund infrastructure expenditure, and has long since become obsolete. Nobody cares because, lets face it, 25c a tonne is relatively insignificant.
Nobody bothers trying to apply it to new projects, and nobody cares about removing it from the old.

However if Grills gets his way and ups it to a flat $5 per tonne, people WILL care. On some ore-bodies, that could be the difference between plugging on, and shutting up shop>

There's also the problem of exactly how he plans to selectively enforce this on only his targets, which is to supposedly target it on projects over 15 years old.
First problem is, that with the growth in Iron-Ore developments during the naughties, that would start hitting a lot of projects very soon.
Secondly, mining projects, especially iron ore, have very long lives, and all the sums are done accordingly. Saying they'll only impose the tax after 15 years is a bit like promising to steal only one of your Kidneys.

But Mostly, it is simply impractical and unworkable.
When does the 15 years start? When you spend the 1st buck, or when you ship the first ore?
If you halt a project and resume later, does the 15 years start again?
If you start digging up the ore 10km down the road, is that a new project? What about 1km?

It only took the THREAT of a mining tax, to wipe out BILLIONS in new projects and expansions.

What Grills is doing is incredibly irresponsible.

We used to have a saying, which I still love; "If you're going to criticise a Farmer, don't do it with your mouth full."
Well, if you're going to criticise the Miners, don't do it whilst utilising any of roads, airports, hospitals, schools, and infrastructure that the mining industry has funded in this state.
farmer joe wrote:The one thing I would be fighting for with the GST split is for gambling revenue to be included in the calculations. As a state we loose out big time by "doing the right thing" in regards to gambling. From a federal distribution of funds point of view this should be noted and recognised in the GST split.

You're proceeding on the erroneous assumption that it is somehow about fairness. It's not and never has been. The royalty adjustment has always been a massive gouge at WA, whilst allowing them to look after the governing states of NSW and Victoria, whilst also babysitting the hippies in Taswegia.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:However if Grills gets his way and ups it to a flat $5 per tonne, people WILL care. On some ore-bodies, that could be the difference between plugging on, and shutting up shop>

BS. Have you seen the increase in the Iron Ore price in the last 6 months or so? Or the fact that FMG are back close to $8? $5/tonne in the scheme of things is a drop in the ocean.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:However if Grills gets his way and ups it to a flat $5 per tonne, people WILL care. On some ore-bodies, that could be the difference between plugging on, and shutting up shop>

BS. Have you seen the increase in the Iron Ore price in the last 6 months or so? Or the fact that FMG are back close to $8? $5/tonne in the scheme of things is a drop in the ocean.

And as the ore price goes up, so too do the royalties. Which is the only fair way to do it.

And there's really no point trying to raise more money from miners, unless we figure out a way to stop the Feds stealing our GST.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
farmer joe wrote:

And as the ore price goes up, so too do the royalties. Which is the only fair way to do it.

And there's really no point trying to raise more money from miners, unless we figure out a way to stop the Feds stealing our GST.

Send it offshore to a holding company in the Cayman Islands so the Feds don't realise it's there, or can't prove it, or stop caring; however all the multinationals get away with it. Then bring it back as a loan to the State Government; or however the multinationals do it.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 am

Malcolm was a lying piece of shit when he promised a GST floor price just before the last election - he doesn't give two shits about WA. Basically our taxes fund the infrastructure that underpins the mining royalty bounties that the east skim off us via the GST. We get stuck in a full blown recession after 23 consecutive months of economic regression caused by the lack of private investment in mining construction and no federally funded investment in public infrastructure... because all that spend has been diverted east.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:21 pm

WCE06 wrote:

Malcolm was a lying piece of shit when he promised a GST floor price just before the last election - he doesn't give two shits about WA. Basically our taxes fund the infrastructure that underpins the mining royalty bounties that the east skim off us via the GST. We get stuck in a full blown recession after 23 consecutive months of economic regression caused by the lack of private investment in mining construction and no federally funded investment in public infrastructure... because all that spend has been diverted east.

MT offered to assist with handouts, but the hook was that Barnett would do some things. They included deregulating shopping hours, sell off assets. Barnett mooted the sell off of WP but backed down when things got hot (a habit of his). So Barnett didn't have the courage to sell off assets and that's why MT hasn't helped.

Mind you, MT has completely backed away from it now when it is possible for the Govt to make some changes to assist WA (include pokie revenue which is currently not included in the GST carve-up)

Either way, the horse has bolted and Barnett pissed the money up the wall knowing that the GST was on the slide.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Total Package wrote:Turnbull is just one of the slimiest creatures around.

This

At least with Big Tony, he stood there proudly in his budgies and said this is me, this is what you get.
Turnbull just keeps slithering around trying to pick up votes from diametrically opposed groups
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Total Package wrote:Turnbull is just one of the slimiest creatures around.

This

At least with Big Tony, he stood there proudly in his budgies and said this is me, this is what you get.
Turnbull just keeps slithering around trying to pick up votes from diametrically opposed groups

That sounds a lot like Bill "you can have it all" Shorten. There is no doubt Turnbull is slimy but Shorten is at another level. Hence why we all love Pauline...
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 pm

farmer joe wrote:. Hence why we all love Pauline...

He had a really ugly & nasty bush in our front garden. It was prickly, thorny, and smelled bad.
I sprayed it with roundup. It died off them came back.
I covered it in petrol and set fire to it. It died off them came back.
I chopped it down, drilled holes in the stump, filled them with poison. It came back.
Finally I wrapped an anchor chain around the stump and roots, and used a 4wd to pull it out of the ground.

Drove past the house a year or so later, and it had once again taken over the garden.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 am

farmer joe wrote:Hence why we all love Pauline...

Pauline.

The one expressing admiration for Vlad the Impaler, Tsar of Russia?
The one who's endangering the health of our children by spruiking anti-vaccination bullshit?
The one who's party's candidates have the self-control and organisation of a bus load of year nine students?

That Pauline?

Fuck me I hope the more recent polls are right and PHON's vote is receding back where it belongs.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 am

I am seriously considering TP's 'drawing a big cock on the ballot paper' voting method for this election. Dead set what a bunch of uninspiring, forgettable hacks this lot of candidates are.

I weep for our state.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems