West Coast v St Kilda
Game Focus

Muhammad Ali dies

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

Muhammad Ali dies

Postby Fat Side on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/muha ... 9199290f86

Known worldwide as ‚ÄúThe Greatest of All Time‚ÄĚ, a larger-than-life character with a wit matched only by his boxing skills, Ali was undoubtedly the most famous sportsman who ever lived.

An absolute legend. I have never seen a boxer like him. His evasive skills were something not likely to be seen again.

RIP
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: Muhammad Ali dies

Postby sydney eagle on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:37 am

While I don't think that Ali was "the greatest" as he liked to call himself, he WAS a great boxer and it was a shame to see the confused state that he appeared to be in in his latter years.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 am

sydney eagle wrote:While I don't think that Ali was "the greatest" as he liked to call himself, he WAS a great boxer and it was a shame to see the confused state that he appeared to be in in his latter years.

The confused state is probably a side effect of having been a boxer. It's a sport where you can freely hit someone in the head, and that's wrong.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:09 pm

sydney eagle wrote:While I don't think that Ali was "the greatest" as he liked to call himself, he WAS a great boxer and it was a shame to see the confused state that he appeared to be in in his latter years.

Not going to get into a debate, just interested to know - who do you think was the greatest?
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Bigbird on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm a pretty avid boxing fan and have been all my life. Started training a little over a year ago after finally getting the courage to give it a go. Unfortunately will never be able to keep up with younger guys...and admittedly don't have that work ethic or ambition!

I grew up idolising Ali, but being an 80s child I followed Tyson very closely and he was simply an unstoppable machine. Sugar Ray was also in a league of his own. Tyson himself admits that he would have lost to Ali if they had fought.

There are other great boxers that spring to mind - Frazier, Holyfield, Lewis, Liston and currently Pacquiao and Mayweather (and a heap of others) but none of them are in the same league as those three IMO. Not so sure about further back i.e. 50s and earlier.

Pretty pragmatic about his death - it's always sad to see a legend pass, but when the quality of life has faded it's time to go. RIP.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm

jourgo wrote:

Not going to get into a debate, just interested to know - who do you think was the greatest?

As a heavyweight Rocky Marciano or perhaps Gene Tunney. Both retired undefeated (in that division) , obviously made enough money, and had the good sense not to try to make a comeback.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Righteo. Can't say I know enough about either of those guys to make informed comment on them.

Greatness is a very subjective measure anyway. Does greatness come from sheer ability? Results? Longevity? Combinations of all of those and more?

What is clear, and I believe indisputable, is that no boxer has ever captured the imagination like Ali - and boxing as a sport has lost too much of the appeal it once had to ever reach the heights it did while Ali was active, so its probably safe to say that no boxer ever will.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Eliot Mess on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:56 pm

He joined a Black supremacist organisation in the 1964: Nation Of Islam. In March 1966, three NOI members were convicted of assassinating Malcolm X. Ali stayed in for many years.
That's strike for me.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:59 pm

The better half and I collected his memorabilia for years. It was a sad day indeed. A tattoo of him is on her back in his fighting stance. Will be sorely missed. The Greatest in our eyes. :(
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:51 am

jourgo wrote:

RIP Ali.

The "Rumble in The Jungle" is often cited as one of the greatest boxing matches of all time, and there's no doubt that Ali was tactically superior to Foreman and deserved his victory. But whilst he went on to fight Frazier, he refused to ever face Foreman again.
Foreman made his comeback, and won the championship again, at the age of 45. That gets my vote.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:36 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
jourgo wrote:

RIP Ali.

The "Rumble in The Jungle" is often cited as one of the greatest boxing matches of all time, and there's no doubt that Ali was tactically superior to Foreman and deserved his victory. But whilst he went on to fight Frazier, he refused to ever face Foreman again.
Foreman made his comeback, and won the championship again, at the age of 45. That gets my vote.

History is a funny thing. Have a look at the quotes from Foreman from the early 80's onwards. It is pretty clear that he concedes to Ali's greatness. Yes Ali avoided him but Foreman retired for the first time in 1977. In those days avoiding challengers was an artform.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems