Game Focus

WILDCATS season 2013/14

Discuss whatever you like, whenever you like, however you like

Moderators: Streaker, Mr Q

WILDCATS season 2013/14

Postby west coast ego on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 pm

This team looks good... really good.

I
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
west coast ego
Veteran

Re: WILDCATS season 2013/14

Postby Bloodstream on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:11 am

We need to perform this well when it counts, finishing 1st is crucial.
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Dom Sheed
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Jamie Cripps
Official 2012 EFH Sponsor of Murray Newman
Official 2011 EFH Sponsor of Jack Darling
Official 2010 EFH Sponsor of Jordan Jones
Bloodstream
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:32 am

Havnt seen this type of action from a player in a Wildcats singlet for a while

......well, since this guy :lol:

mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:41 am

I was a Wildcats member last year but decided against it this year and got an NBL.tv subscription instead.

My main reason being the cost is ridiculous to get a semi half decent seat. On average we pay 30% more than a Melbourne Tigers or Sydney Kings supporter does for a season membership and our stadium is 4 times larger.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Total Package wrote:I was a Wildcats member last year but decided against it this year and got an NBL.tv subscription instead.

My main reason being the cost is ridiculous to get a semi half decent seat. On average we pay 30% more than a Melbourne Tigers or Sydney Kings supporter does for a season membership and our stadium is 4 times larger.
I actually don’t like the Arena, well at least not from the seats we had.
We got in really early on, to be on the waiting list for Arena seats, actually paid for the privilege. Then got in early when the seats became available, and although family membership limited our options the seats we were offered seemed great, behind the goals which is my preferred location. However we repeatedly questioned whether the view would be obstructed and were assured they would not be.
So turn up to 1st game in the Arena; ALL of the seats are obstructed to some degree, and from two you can’t see the middle 40% of the court. Complained and was offered nose-bleed seats instead.
Oh, and did I mention that from the low seats, the side mounted spotlights shine right into your eyes? Had to wear a hat & sunnies to watch the game, and couldn’t look up at the scoreboard.
Anyway, got in early again and asked for a change for this season. We had to wait until acceptances were over and then got offered nose-bleeds again.
Suffice to say that I am watching the games from my recliner or bed!
It’s weird; at challenge where they could sell out (the decent seats) for most games, they still remained really friendly and helpful. They would bend over backwards to help you sort out tickets and seats.
But now they have the Arena, they just don’t seem to give a crap.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby mysterio on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Total Package wrote:I was a Wildcats member last year but decided against it this year and got an NBL.tv subscription instead.

I actually don’t like the Arena, well at least not from the seats we had.
We got in really early on, to be on the waiting list for Arena seats, actually paid for the privilege. Then got in early when the seats became available, and although family membership limited our options the seats we were offered seemed great, behind the goals which is my preferred location. However we repeatedly questioned whether the view would be obstructed and were assured they would not be.
So turn up to 1st game in the Arena; ALL of the seats are obstructed to some degree, and from two you can’t see the middle 40% of the court. Complained and was offered nose-bleed seats instead.
Oh, and did I mention that from the low seats, the side mounted spotlights shine right into your eyes? Had to wear a hat & sunnies to watch the game, and couldn’t look up at the scoreboard.
Anyway, got in early again and asked for a change for this season. We had to wait until acceptances were over and then got offered nose-bleeds again.
Suffice to say that I am watching the games from my recliner or bed!
It’s weird; at challenge where they could sell out (the decent seats) for most games, they still remained really friendly and helpful. They would bend over backwards to help you sort out tickets and seats.
But now they have the Arena, they just don’t seem to give a crap.

Have heard the quality of NBL.TV is pretty bad and unwatchable at times, but I have heard varying stories.

This is why we pay more then Sydney or Melbourne supporters for m/ships:

Total number of members

Perth 7028
Melbourne 2420
New Zealand 1893
Adelaide 1724
Cairns 1415
Townsville 1400
Wollongong 1086
Sydney 1064

When we have m/ships at current prices and are blowing every other team out of the water for number of members, they would be stupid not to have them at those prices. ( saying that Cats lost 1000 members from last year to this year, but 7000 still exceptional). Every other team are struggling for members so they have to offer cheap tickets to entice people to join.

Saying that the Wildcats did say the year before moving to the Arena, m/ships would be cheaper, but I think the rent on the Arena was more then first expected, plus the Wildcats organisation do spend a lot of money to better their product and so they need to get that money back. I read an article a month or so back where Nick Marvin said they would need to averaged 10k per game crowd wise to cover what the money they outlay.

In no way am I agreeing with the cost as I think it is a bit pricey, and would love to pay less, but as a renewing member you do get it cheaper and buying a m/ship saves you $15-20 per game on the price of your seat if you were to purchase the same area seat for a single game. I guess if people are willing to pay those prices then why drop the price, you would only prob see a reduction in price if attendence numbers dropped regularly and then they may then reduce prices.

CD, my uncle tried to change his seat this season to his old seat (moved back 1 row to sit with me when moved to Arena, but opposite ends of block and he was use to his old view ( or he just doesn't like me haha) so he tried to move back to his old seat) and Natalie from M/ship dept was quite helpful and tried to move everyone down one seat to get my uncle in his old seat, but two people didn't want to move so it didn't eventuate, but he said she was quite helpful when she could of just flat out said that can't be done but she at least tried to accommodate my uncles request and made an effort.
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:I actually don’t like the Arena, well at least not from the seats we had.

I went to the first 3 games last season and wasn't a member... so had 3 different seats. Went the nosebleed to start with and it was unwatchable.... paid $80 a game to get "Gold" which is still 30 rows back... and it was better but still wasn't what I would call gold.

In the end decided if I was going to go I may as well just fork out and buy a membership the way it was costing me so much for single game tickets... and my membership got me given the seats 30 rows behind the basket where there the leg room was so poor that a mate who is 6ft 5 had to use the vacant seat in front of him to stretch his legs out (Other parts of the stadium the leg space was better).

I then got to go into one of the corporate lounges... all very nice... you get your own kitchen and tv and relax area... yet when you step out onto the balcony to see the game there is not a set of binoculars powerful enough to help you see the game.

I don't think the venue is bad... the facilities are very good.. toilets.. places to buy food every 20 metres... but I think we are paying premium prices for below premium viewing.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:39 pm

mysterio wrote:Have heard the quality of NBL.TV is pretty bad and unwatchable at times, but I have heard varying stories.

NBL.tv is almost unwatchable especially live. I hoped it may have improved this year but it hasn't. It definitely has nothing to do with my internet connection as I have an NBA gametime subscription and can watch games from the NBA in high definition without any buffering or blurriness at all.

It comes down to the NBL doing a half assed job on the cheap... they probably pay for just enough bandwidth to keep it going at around 99% utilisation in the hope some people won't be watching all the time.

mysterio wrote:This is why we pay more then Sydney or Melbourne supporters for m/ships:

Total number of members

Perth 7028
Melbourne 2420
New Zealand 1893
Adelaide 1724
Cairns 1415
Townsville 1400
Wollongong 1086
Sydney 1064

When we have m/ships at current prices and are blowing every other team out of the water for number of members, they would be stupid not to have them at those prices. ( saying that Cats lost 1000 members from last year to this year, but 7000 still exceptional). Every other team are struggling for members so they have to offer cheap tickets to entice people to join.

Saying that the Wildcats did say the year before moving to the Arena, m/ships would be cheaper, but I think the rent on the Arena was more then first expected, plus the Wildcats organisation do spend a lot of money to better their product and so they need to get that money back. I read an article a month or so back where Nick Marvin said they would need to averaged 10k per game crowd wise to cover what the money they outlay.

In no way am I agreeing with the cost as I think it is a bit pricey, and would love to pay less, but as a renewing member you do get it cheaper and buying a m/ship saves you $15-20 per game on the price of your seat if you were to purchase the same area seat for a single game. I guess if people are willing to pay those prices then why drop the price, you would only prob see a reduction in price if attendence numbers dropped regularly and then they may then reduce prices.

CD, my uncle tried to change his seat this season to his old seat (moved back 1 row to sit with me when moved to Arena, but opposite ends of block and he was use to his old view ( or he just doesn't like me haha) so he tried to move back to his old seat) and Natalie from M/ship dept was quite helpful and tried to move everyone down one seat to get my uncle in his old seat, but two people didn't want to move so it didn't eventuate, but he said she was quite helpful when she could of just flat out said that can't be done but she at least tried to accommodate my uncles request and made an effort.

Yup that is all well and good and I understand why they did it... but once again it's NBL teams thinking more about $$$ than the future of the game. There was a drop off in membership for the first 3 games this year and will continue to be until eventually the Wildcats will be playing in front of 2,000 people again and it will once again become the forgotten sport of WA. Then the wildcats will be forced to lower ticket prices but by then it will be too late.

Also I think the reason the numbers increased in the last game is because of 1 guy... James Ennis. If he wasn't on the team I reckon there would be 2,000 less turning up... and there is no guarantee he is going to be around much longer the way he is playing.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby mysterio on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Total Package wrote:
I went to the first 3 games last season and wasn't a member... so had 3 different seats. Went the nosebleed to start with and it was unwatchable.... paid $80 a game to get "Gold" which is still 30 rows back... and it was better but still wasn't what I would call gold.

See im a gold member but am in the second row of gold seating, so only 11 rows from court. And that the difference i spoke about, my gold m/ship works outs to be $55 per game compared to $80 if you get a single game seat in that area.

Total Package wrote:Yup that is all well and good and I understand why they did it... but once again it's NBL teams thinking more about $$$ than the future of the game. There was a drop off in membership for the first 3 games this year and will continue to be until eventually the Wildcats will be playing in front of 2,000 people again and it will once again become the forgotten sport of WA. Then the wildcats will be forced to lower ticket prices but by then it will be too late.

Also I think the reason the numbers increased in the last game is because of 1 guy... James Ennis. If he wasn't on the team I reckon there would be 2,000 less turning up... and there is no guarantee he is going to be around much longer the way he is playing.

There was a drop off in attendance for the first few games (not dramastic though) and that has to do part with the games were on during school holidays and some people away etc (which usually happens each season). Ennis is definately the reason why few more people are coming esp with the media coverage of him has helped to. The things that the Wildcats would hope for is not too many games like on Friday night and with blow outs like that, people become disinterested if there are continual one sided games and crowds will lower
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bloodstream on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Looks like losing Ennis could be a possibility...
The Perth Wildcats could be robbed of their greatest on-court asset when Miami Heat officials arrive in WA this month to assess the progress of outstanding swingman James Ennis.

But Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin said the club had kept tabs on a list of replacements to cover any loss.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... ace-ennis/
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Dom Sheed
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Jamie Cripps
Official 2012 EFH Sponsor of Murray Newman
Official 2011 EFH Sponsor of Jack Darling
Official 2010 EFH Sponsor of Jordan Jones
Bloodstream
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:34 pm

What is it 6 from 6 now. Awesome stuff. Go you Wildcats.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I have been a member on and off for years, including Captains Club and pseudo corporate. It usually depended on the finances and employment at the time.
was looking forward to the Arena, as I can finally afford any level of membership, ad infiniteum, no problems.
As an overall, multi-purpose venue, I think the Arena is very good (albeit butt ugly.) I'm not sure how but they somehow resolved the long queues for entry, food, and dunnies that were there for the first game(s).
As a venue for watching basketball, its ok, but not great. I wonder at how many design compromises there were (and how many millions squandered) just so it could have an opening roof that nobody in their right mind would ever want in Perth. The lights in particular are a major pisser. Because the roof opens, the lights are around the periphery and ANGLED, so in certain seats they are shining right in your face. They have put in a magnificent hanging scoreboard, and from our seats you can’t look at it because of the spot lights behind.
I have looked at getting tickets for a couple of concerts, but I'm not paying that sort of money to sit in those crappy seats.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm

And on another note, whilst the new players are exciting, its disappointing that again we’ve seen significant turnover.
If you look at the team from 5 years ago, only Redhage remains
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby mysterio on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:And on another note, whilst the new players are exciting, its disappointing that again we’ve seen significant turnover.
If you look at the team from 5 years ago, only Redhage remains

Why so??

If anything, the Wildcats before this season had the most stable side in the comp. During Bevo's tenure, only one or two new players where added the side each season with the core of Knight, Redhage, Marto, Lisch, Robbo, Tovey (half the team) being there for the past 3 years and Cats had an import (Lisch) play for 3 years, where most imports now a days only last a year on average.

Significant turnover of players is now common practise in the NBL, find me any NBL team in the past few years who still have more then 1 or 2 players that were playing at the same club 5 years ago. Also a lot has to do with the coach of the team. When Bevo came in he brought in a lot of new players and the same now with Gleeson. Each coach has a diff game plan and ideas and with that results in new players. Cats did well to sign the likes of Knight and Marto as they were close with Bevo, and they could of gone elsewhere but choose to stay in Perth.
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Bloodstream wrote:Looks like losing Ennis could be a possibility...
The Perth Wildcats could be robbed of their greatest on-court asset when Miami Heat officials arrive in WA this month to assess the progress of outstanding swingman James Ennis.

But Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin said the club had kept tabs on a list of replacements to cover any loss.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... ace-ennis/

Unlikely. He is good but not quite NBA standard yet, still needs to work on a few areas of his game before he will get a chance to play NBA.
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to General Board, Suggestions and Problems