Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



Most Hated Player

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Mykidsdad on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Talking of ex carlton players Glenn Manton & Peter Dean used to shit me.
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.
User avatar
Mykidsdad
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 am
Location: The nose bleed section (511)

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby jayvee on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 pm

MaxyB wrote:
Eliot Mess wrote:??


Apologies if I have misinterpreted your original post in the Latin EM, but I’m confused as to whether you are accusing me, jayvee or Hayden Ballantyne of playing the man and not the ball.

In my defence, I waded into a thread entitled “most hated player” only to be greeted by the Hayden Ballantyne appreciation society. When I expressed my disquiet, in what I considered to be a jovial and light-heated manner at the man love being expressed, Sam the Eagle (aka jayvee) took exception to my comment and I responded in kind, pointing out a few teeny weeny issues with his grammar, or lack thereof. Enough said.

To get back on topic – I don’t like Ballantyne. I don’t “hate” him, because I don’t know him. For all I know, he could be an OK kind of guy. But he is a niggler, in the same way that Josh Carr and Steven Baker were and are nigglers. I prefer the term “limited ability thug”. Couple this, his haircut and the fact he plays in purple together and voila, we have a candidate for the thread’s title.


Which, Prince Valiant, I have never had a problem with. In fact, I commented that I even understand why one wouldn't like Ballantyne due to his niggling, but simply didn't agree with him being called untalented and a f****t, as I believe he does have talent and don't know what calling him a f****t has to do with anything. A fair judgement I would assume, seeing as a couple of posters agreed with these thoughts. How that equates to man love is anyones guess - I admire many players for thier football ability. yet for these thoughts, I was randomly told to get a room and had unimportant grammar pulled up. Yet, you're the supposed nice guy who's been attacked. typical..
jayvee
Regular
 
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby DALBY on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Okay people, can we play nice now please! No more public forum wars.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby MaxyB on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Aww, Dalbs - you're no fun but I will happily respect your wishes.

Prince Valiant - I like that. I think I'll duck off and admire my codpiece in the bathroom mirror.
Weathering The Storm
User avatar
MaxyB
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:34 pm
Location: Block 147

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Mr Q on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 pm

jayvee wrote:If my posts cant be deciphered because of being a bit lax with the caps lock, then I don't think i'm the one in trouble with the english language. Its a football forum for pete's sake, with people of all walks of life vast and wide. Some will be better English wise than others - is this saying those people with lesser english skills are'nt welcome? Or that even if they are having a good football discussion should be chastised for it? It's actually offensive.


Within the rules, that's why it says you should *try* to use standard spelling and grammar conventions. Sure, it's a footy forum, but it is still a public space where others will be reading what you say. It doesn't seem too much to ask that you apply some stuff you'd have learned in primary school. I don't expect correct spelling, elegant prose and clever placement of semi-colons; if I only want that, I shouldn't run a footy site. I just ask people not to be lazy, for the benefit of the wider community.

On the other hand, I don't really like it when people belittle others for errors in grammar and spelling. It's playing the man, which is against rule 2 of the site.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

rule 2 gets broken a fair bit then :lol:
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Jack Sidious on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 pm

gravy wrote:
Lynch Sidious wrote:Who did we draft directly before him? was it Swift or S Selwood?

Either way - big stuff up.

99 clubs out of 100 would have taken the punt on Swift before Ballantyne.

However, he would be an excellent fit for West Coast. Small forwards can't be just about goals these days - they have to work hard the other way, and Ballantyne does this in spades. Lecras could learn a thing or two from him.


Im not sure thats true but i get your point - either way its crazy.

He won the sandover and lead the goalkicking at age 20 and 174cm tall or whatever - was clearly a quality player and deserved a punt.

Pretty sure Swift was the pick after by the way - and Selwood was before.
2013 Sponsor of Jack Darling - look out
Jack Sidious
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: P-Town

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Lynch Sidious wrote:
gravy wrote:
Lynch Sidious wrote:Who did we draft directly before him? was it Swift or S Selwood?

Either way - big stuff up.

99 clubs out of 100 would have taken the punt on Swift before Ballantyne.

However, he would be an excellent fit for West Coast. Small forwards can't be just about goals these days - they have to work hard the other way, and Ballantyne does this in spades. Lecras could learn a thing or two from him.


Im not sure thats true but i get your point - either way its crazy.

He won the sandover and lead the goalkicking at age 20 and 174cm tall or whatever - was clearly a quality player and deserved a punt.

Pretty sure Swift was the pick after by the way - and Selwood was before.


Pretty sure you are messing up your drafts.

Shuey was pick 18 I think, Swift pick 20 and Balla 21. Selwood was the draft before and was taken something like 22, two picks after Notte.

And I am sure the Eagles would have been keen to take the punt on Balla, but not at 20, Freo had to pull the trigger on him as they knew Eagles would have probably snared him with pick 30 something.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 am

Lynch Sidious wrote:Ballantyne is easy to hate when opposed to you - but when watching him play against other teams he is thoroughly entertaining - especially when you are at the game. Absolutely cracks me up - a true character

Very highly skilled, tenacious and ballsy and has a significant impact on the course of games - would love him to be at the eagles - and badly wanted him on draft day to be honest (although not as much as now).

Who did we draft directly before him? was it Swift or S Selwood?

Either way - big stuff up.
It was Swift, but the huge mistake was not taking Trengove.

Picking jojo ahead of Walters was perhaps questionable.
Taking Liam Bedford with our first rookie pick, ahead of players like Garlett, and even De Boer, should qualify for some kind of award.
Well FMD, I'm back.
Thought I'd give the ole password reset one last try, and voila, it worked.
User avatar
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Doing The Eagle Rock

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby thorne89 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 am

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Unfortunately our recruiters aren't blessed with the foresight of some posters on here and BF... :roll:
"I’m just a normal functioning member of the human race and there’s no way anyone can prove otherwise"
User avatar
thorne89
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Como

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Jack Sidious on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 am

Im not just talking about hindsight - always wanted us to take Ballantyne - immediately disappointed we took Swift instead.

He lead the goalkicking for the WAFL and won a Sandover at age 20. and plays like a bulldog.

Hindsight says he is one of the picks of the draft - at the time he was still a bit of a no-brainer in my eyes
2013 Sponsor of Jack Darling - look out
Jack Sidious
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: P-Town

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Bigbav on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:21 am

Image

Anyone remember this prick? I can't exactly remember why I hated him, I just did. Maybe it was the ranga thing, maybe it was because he went in studs first all the time.
1987 Sponsor of Laurie Keene
User avatar
Bigbav
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Gero

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby JYD on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:58 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:]It was Swift, but the huge mistake was not taking Trengove.


Surely you're taking the piss, or are just plain stupid.
User avatar
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby zero on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

thats easy, diesel williams hands down

they should take the "fairest" bit off the brownlow if they are going to award it to a player like him
Leigh Matthews on Naitanui
Essendon NAB game, Feb 12th 2010

5:15 PM Pregame
"Naitanui... A great physical specimen but I dont think he going to improve much this season"
7:25 After an amazing goal
"He just has the most amazing influence on the game, not through ariel stuff, but through ground level second effort, he doesent look like marking the ball in the air, hes just another great player at ground level"
7:35 After a great mark
"What are his brownlow odds?"
zero
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:12 am
Location: back in perth

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby Bigbav on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:45 am

zero wrote:thats easy, diesel williams hands down

they should take the "fairest" bit off the brownlow if they are going to award it to a player like him


He did alright to win a couple of Brownlows without the ability to kick. Maybe we could get excited about a few of our lads in the future.

But yes, he was a proper [Greg Williams].
1987 Sponsor of Laurie Keene
User avatar
Bigbav
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Gero

PreviousNext

Return to AFL Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest