11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Most Hated Player

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: Most Hated Player

Postby jayvee on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 am

Mr Q wrote:
jayvee wrote:If my posts cant be deciphered because of being a bit lax with the caps lock, then I don't think i'm the one in trouble with the english language. Its a football forum for pete's sake, with people of all walks of life vast and wide. Some will be better English wise than others - is this saying those people with lesser english skills are'nt welcome? Or that even if they are having a good football discussion should be chastised for it? It's actually offensive.

Within the rules, that's why it says you should *try* to use standard spelling and grammar conventions. Sure, it's a footy forum, but it is still a public space where others will be reading what you say. It doesn't seem too much to ask that you apply some stuff you'd have learned in primary school. I don't expect correct spelling, elegant prose and clever placement of semi-colons; if I only want that, I shouldn't run a footy site. I just ask people not to be lazy, for the benefit of the wider community.

On the other hand, I don't really like it when people belittle others for errors in grammar and spelling. It's playing the man, which is against rule 2 of the site.

When asked in this way, I have absolutely no problem with obliging. When it's put out there simply to try to support a differrence of opinion, i'm sure you can understand while I may see this as petty. Particularly as the person in question had no idea if I possibly had poor english skills, or - in a multi-cultural country - if english was even my first language, when they first bought up the issue. Fortunately I generally have good english skills, but when typing a thought, I find it easy to get carried away and get lax on minor details. I do believe in this day and age however, when people are making statements like : "Amen to that he's a shit no talent player that goes around pinching, sticking fingers in and nibbling players like the little f@gg@t he is"- then this board probably has to get a few priorities sorted out.

However, I appreciate your feedback, and apologies to people in this thread for clogging it up with this business. "Fair bump, play on.." Peace :)
jayvee
Regular

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Lynch Sidious wrote:Ballantyne is easy to hate when opposed to you - but when watching him play against other teams he is thoroughly entertaining - especially when you are at the game. Absolutely cracks me up - a true character

Very highly skilled, tenacious and ballsy and has a significant impact on the course of games - would love him to be at the eagles - and badly wanted him on draft day to be honest (although not as much as now).

Who did we draft directly before him? was it Swift or S Selwood?

Either way - big stuff up.
It was Swift, but the huge mistake was not taking Trengove.

Picking jojo ahead of Walters was perhaps questionable.
Taking Liam Bedford with our first rookie pick, ahead of players like Garlett, and even De Boer, should qualify for some kind of award.

Trengrove? You want another Tall defender/part time ruckman?

You do realise there are two Trengroves going around right? Jackson Trengrove for Port who would have been taken the same draft as Swifty, then there is Jack Trengrove for Melbourne who was taken pick two the next draft...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:It was Swift, but the huge mistake was not taking Trengove.

Taking Liam Bedford with our first rookie pick, ahead of players like Garlett, and even De Boer, should qualify for some kind of award.

I wish people would stop going on about "mistakes" in the draft using hindsight. I mean we could say we made a huge mistake taking Joel Duckworth with pick 89 in 1998: we could have taken one M.Pavlich who wasn't even drafted.

Hindsight is 20/20, but we were all happy about getting Swift where we did in the draft, it looked like a good pick (and may well yet turn out to be). At the end of 2009 he showed quite a bit, and I reckon that we should stop expecting a smooth development path for any player - it just won't happen. Swift still has potential, and we should be looking at least three years to see if he can fulfill it.

As for Bedford, as I recall, Geelong were really forced to cut him - they were impressed by him but he was the player they had to offload. A gamble, that didn't pay off (as Oakely-Nicholls may well turn out to be). But these are speculative rookie picks, not the first round of the draft. You take speculative options and hope they pay off. Sometimes it might be a whisper from a former WAFL great that his nephew might be worth a look, and you get Dean Cox. More often than not, it won't be. Even then it can be luck - if Gardiner didn't have an injury problem, we may never have known how good Coxy really was (or might have found out when he was playing somewhere else).

I guess what I'm saying is that recruitment is a game of chance - you don't know really what you're getting, you have to take a hunch and see how it goes. It's informed, but it's not guaranteed. Just because someone takes a better player later in the draft than you did doesn't mean that even that club wouldn't have made the same decision you did. Doesn't even mean it was the wrong choice on available information.

We can look at some of the great "blunders" - say Richmond taking Fiora over Pavlich in '99. But what we don't know is what Freo would have done had *they* had the same choice between the two. Or what the Eagles might have done, or Collingwood or Brisbane or whoever. We only know what Richmond did. We took Swift ahead of Ballantyne. We don't know what Freo might have done in the same case.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:It was Swift, but the huge mistake was not taking Trengove.

I wish people would stop going on about "mistakes" in the draft using hindsight.
I agree.
But surely that doesn’t mean that every draft pick is automatically correct simply because you can’t examine it in hindsight?
I suppose you could talk about the “what ifs” and “if onlys” of drafting, but what I’m talking about is decisions made with the available information at the time.
Hence yes, we would always have taken Swift in preference to Ballantyne.
Trengove (not Trengrove) was an outstanding young player, predicted to go top 10, but who suffered an injury, causing him to slide. Obviously it’s only an opinion, but I think his selection was one of the great pickups of that draft.
I mention Walters, only because he was so impressive, and many were very keen. Whether he has gone on to become a better player than Jojo is irrelevant, I’m simply saying that at that time, I would have liked to see him taken.

My comment in regards to the Rookie Draft, is simply that there was a lot of prospective talent still remaining. IIRC, Bedford was successful at VFL level, but couldn’t crack AFL.
I don’t mind that we took a punt on him, but using our first pick when there was so much talent still around, I thought was foolish.
Well FMD, I'm back.
Thought I'd give the ole password reset one last try, and voila, it worked.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Bigbav on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Lynch Sidious wrote:Ballantyne is easy to hate when opposed to you - but when watching him play against other teams he is thoroughly entertaining - especially when you are at the game. Absolutely cracks me up - a true character

Very highly skilled, tenacious and ballsy and has a significant impact on the course of games - would love him to be at the eagles - and badly wanted him on draft day to be honest (although not as much as now).

Who did we draft directly before him? was it Swift or S Selwood?

Either way - big stuff up.
It was Swift, but the huge mistake was not taking Trengove.

Trengrove? You want another Tall defender/part time ruckman?

You do realise there are two Trengroves going around right? Jackson Trengrove for Port who would have been taken the same draft as Swifty, then there is Jack Trengrove for Melbourne who was taken pick two the next draft...

The Demon is actually a Trengove, sans the 'R', but you probably knew that already.
1987 Sponsor of Laurie Keene
Bigbav
Veteran

Postby WCE06 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am

Speaking of most hated player - how'd golden boy Mathew Sniperlich get off for that blatant elboe to the head? He was nowhere near the footy and the contact happened two steps after the bloke contested the mark. To me that wasnt just "reckless" it was deliberate. How it got downgraded to "negligent" is beyond me when others get rubbed out for weeks for incidental contact made during legitimate attacks on the footy.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 am

WCE06 wrote:Speaking of most hated player - how'd golden boy Mathew Sniperlich get off for that blatant elboe to the head? He was nowhere near the footy and the contact happened two steps after the bloke contested the mark. To me that wasnt just "reckless" it was deliberate. How it got downgraded to "negligent" is beyond me when others get rubbed out for weeks for incidental contact made during legitimate attacks on the footy.

We were talking about that this morning, all I can say is he must suck good member, because he looked guilty as sin in the video. :shock:
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby thorne89 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am

The paper said something about how that the tribunal took Pavlich's apparent good 'reputation' into account when making their decision.

This sounded suss to me, so the tribunal is going into these meetings with preconceptions about the player in question. Talk about opening up massive grey areas! So if Steven Milne or Barry Hall does what Pavlich does, regardless of follow over points or previous records, does this mean they would automatically be viewed in a less favorable light and get more straight off?
"I’m just a normal functioning member of the human race and there’s no way anyone can prove otherwise"
thorne89
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 am

thorne89 wrote:The paper said something about how that the tribunal took Pavlich's apparent good 'reputation' into account when making their decision.

This sounded suss to me, so the tribunal is going into these meetings with preconceptions about the player in question. Talk about opening up massive grey areas! So if Steven Milne or Barry Hall does what Pavlich does, regardless of follow over points or previous records, does this mean they would automatically be viewed in a less favorable light and get more straight off?

Not Hall. He gets special consideration because everybody knows he's a fucking psychopath.

Surely you remember that bollocks last season when the North Melbourne bloke (forget his name) went the niggle on Hall and Hall snapped? Everybody jumped to Hall's defense with the whole "if you poke the bear" argument. Anybody else would've been sidelined for a month. In this case, the North bloke nearly had to make a public apology.

To the topic at hand - Christ knows how the tribunal make their decisions. Chances are if Pavlich did that next week instead of last week he'd be watching the next game from the coaches box.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby gravy on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Probably felt sorry for him after they let Judd of last year.
gravy
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 pm

gravy wrote:Probably felt sorry for him after they let Judd of last year.
Or they decided to punish him severely,
and sent him back to captain Freo for another week. :D

Seriously, there is no doubt that the tribunal makes its decision first, then simply bends the rules to fit.
Pavlich is a great player, has been loyal to his club, and has a pretty clean record (as far as I can remember.) Plus they don't seem to despise Freo as much as us.

The penalaties handed down at all levels by the AFL, always fit the AFL agenda, rather than being consistent from club to club or player to player.
Well FMD, I'm back.
Thought I'd give the ole password reset one last try, and voila, it worked.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby cammania on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:24 pm

I've given it a while. Bu dean brogan can eat a dick

Every week he standvup and starts fights when things don't go his way. And if he isn't a professional douche on field. He's belting blokes at airports who want his autograph.

Pretty much on the lowest ebb on the totem pole for me ATM in the AFL.
cammania
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eliot Mess on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:08 pm

cammania wrote:I've given it a while. Bu dean brogan can eat a dick

Every week he standvup and starts fights when things don't go his way. And if he isn't a professional douche on field. He's belting blokes at airports who want his autograph.

Is that a complex dick metaphor?
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby cammania on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Eliot Mess wrote:
cammania wrote:I've given it a while. Bu dean brogan can eat a dick

Is that a complex dick metaphor?

No but upon reflection better words should be used. That's what happens when you write stuff one minute after a sleep. North vs port games do that to me
cammania
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby ArdentEagle on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:34 pm

cammania wrote: That's what happens when you write stuff one minute after a sleep. North vs port games do that to me

Funny. I've just woken up too.

Last thing I remember was half time of the Port v N.M game
Forever to bleed Blue and Gold

The show must go on
ArdentEagle
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to AFL Board