Advanced  

Latest Result

Round 11 Perth Stadium
Sat, 02 Jun 2018 • 18:10 WST
West Coast St Kilda
16.5 (101) 14.4 (88)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 14 Perth Stadium
Thu, 21 Jun 2018 • 18:10 WST
West Coast v Essenscum
Game Focus



Most Overrated Team of 2018

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun May 27, 2018 8:40 am

Has to be Melbourne. Maybe its all the carry on from the vic media building the hype.

They have had a pretty easy draw so far and a moderate draw to come.

2 sizeable losses against the hawks and tigers, ans a close loss to the cats.

5 of their wins have been agains poor teams in the lions, bombers, saints, suns and carlton. Their only credible win was against north.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 am

Giants up there aswell. If there is any team that should be able to handle their injury list it is them considering all the concessions they have received. Got plenty of their big names still out there yet they look an absolute rabble at the moment. Haven't watched much, but this sort of a fall perhaps there just isn't much of an actual gameplan and is just heavily reliant on their talented players carrying the team.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 am

I was reading an interview of Bruce McAvaney (by Dennis Cometti) yesterday and Melbourne were his tip for the flag this season. I was :shock:
At half time they're certainly flogging the Crows though.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Voice of Reason on Mon May 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Melbourne are a threat to us this year.

Good at contested possessions, excellent ruckman, Viney's return will make them stronger, McDonald in superb form and Hogan to kick goals. Burning from last year and Nathan Jones getting near the end.

Consistency has been their problem for years, but if they can just get to September, they can do some damage with that giant great big Home Ground Advantage.

Giants for me, though maybe no one rates them any more.

And St Kilda - their President reckons they are a Top Four team. Talk about overrating your list & putting pressure on the coach!
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: West Coast Eagles & West Perth

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Mr Q on Mon May 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:...that giant great big Home Ground Advantage. !


The one that they get until 2057? It's very odd that Melbourne teams have beaten non-Vic teams for five straight years now, isn't it?

I see that the Vic government was trying to get the AFL to give the Suns' position in the China game to a Victorian team, now that it's proven to make money. I'd bet on the AFL giving in.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby DALBY on Tue May 29, 2018 11:41 am

GWS for me too. They should have won a premiership by now, it seems they won't this year once again. Another 50 million down the drain by the AFL. :roll:
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Mr Q on Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 am

DALBY wrote:Another 50 million down the drain by the AFL. :roll:


I'd rather be propping up a team that might develop the game for the heathens of NSW (or Qld) than continue to prop up North, the Dogs, the Saints etc in Melbourne's oversaturated market.

I'd most like to see one of the Melbourne clubs shifted over Bass Strait to become a full time Tasmanian team.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby DALBY on Tue May 29, 2018 11:51 am

Mr Q wrote:
DALBY wrote:Another 50 million down the drain by the AFL. :roll:


I'd rather be propping up a team that might develop the game for the heathens of NSW (or Qld) than continue to prop up North, the Dogs, the Saints etc in Melbourne's oversaturated market.

I'd most like to see one of the Melbourne clubs shifted over Bass Strait to become a full time Tasmanian team.


A Tasmania team or even a Northern Territory team makes more sense to me too. Gold Coast and GWS are just money pits.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Mr Q on Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 pm

DALBY wrote:A Tasmania team or even a Northern Territory team makes more sense to me too. Gold Coast and GWS are just money pits.


I'd rather a money pit that exposes more people to our great game than one that props up too many Victorian teams.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Carlton - It my appear odd that a team languishing at the foot of the ladder could be over-rated.

They have been flying under the radar for about 18 years now (other than a couple of years where they made finals). St Kilda are wearing all the criticism as is Essendon, but for some reason commentators rarely criticise Carlton. The usual response is "there are good signs for the future" - "Supporters need to be patient" - "They're rebuilding and it will take time."

The reality of the situation is that they have been poor for at least 5 years and an absolute basket case for the past 18 or so years. In addition to that, there is no light at the end of the tunnel as they still remain rooted in the bottom four...again.

They either give up or are unable to retain quality players allowing them to walk out the door - Josh Kennedy, Tuohy, Gibbs, Betts, Garlett, Robinson, Jacobs, Henderson, Waite, Grigg, Gowers. Conversely they trade in players of the calibre of Thomas, Jones, Wright, Mullett, Lobbe, Matt Shaw, Alex Silvagni, Palmer, Everitt, Gorringe, Sumner, Jaksch, Whiley.

A list of Carlton's first draft selections since 2010 - 2010-Matthew Watson (18), 2011-Josh Bootsma (22), 2012-Troy Menzel (11), 2013-Cripps (13), 2014-Blaine Boekhorst (19) and 2015-Harry McKay (10). Other than McKay and Cripps the rest were duds.

This is diabolical by any measure and it is Fremantle-esque. In fact Fremantle's record is flattering by contrast. Fremantle has copped it share of criticism (all justified), but Carlton continues to avoid the same criticism. Their performance since 2000 has been deplorable. Other than Gold Coast, no other team has performed so poorly. Only the former Carlton player Mark Maclure calls this out.

It's time heads rolled at Carlton or they start receiving the negative attention that they deserve. Something tells me that the Melbourne boys club will continue to say "nothing to see here, move along"
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Mr Q wrote:
DALBY wrote:A Tasmania team or even a Northern Territory team makes more sense to me too. Gold Coast and GWS are just money pits.


I'd rather a money pit that exposes more people to our great game than one that props up too many Victorian teams.


Absolutely. 7000 at the North/GWS game in Hobart will not justify a team in an AFL playing state.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby Voice of Reason on Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Fat Side wrote:Carlton - It my appear odd that a team languishing at the foot of the ladder could be over-rated.

They have been flying under the radar for about 18 years now (other than a couple of years where they made finals). St Kilda are wearing all the criticism as is Essendon, but for some reason commentators rarely criticise Carlton. The usual response is "there are good signs for the future" - "Supporters need to be patient" - "They're rebuilding and it will take time."

The reality of the situation is that they have been poor for at least 5 years and an absolute basket case for the past 18 or so years. In addition to that, there is no light at the end of the tunnel as they still remain rooted in the bottom four...again.

They either give up or are unable to retain quality players allowing them to walk out the door - Josh Kennedy, Tuohy, Gibbs, Betts, Garlett, Robinson, Jacobs, Henderson, Waite, Grigg, Gowers. Conversely they trade in players of the calibre of Thomas, Jones, Wright, Mullett, Lobbe, Matt Shaw, Alex Silvagni, Palmer, Everitt, Gorringe, Sumner, Jaksch, Whiley.

A list of Carlton's first draft selections since 2010 - 2010-Matthew Watson (18), 2011-Josh Bootsma (22), 2012-Troy Menzel (11), 2013-Cripps (13), 2014-Blaine Boekhorst (19) and 2015-Harry McKay (10). Other than McKay and Cripps the rest were duds.

This is diabolical by any measure and it is Fremantle-esque. In fact Fremantle's record is flattering by contrast. Fremantle has copped it share of criticism (all justified), but Carlton continues to avoid the same criticism. Their performance since 2000 has been deplorable. Other than Gold Coast, no other team has performed so poorly. Only the former Carlton player Mark Maclure calls this out.

It's time heads rolled at Carlton or they start receiving the negative attention that they deserve. Something tells me that the Melbourne boys club will continue to say "nothing to see here, move along"


You make a very cogent argument.

I have a couple of good friends who loyally support Carlton and it is really difficult. They seem to have been rebuilding forever, with little sign of success. If Cripps goes (I don't think he will), I can't see any light on the horizon.

I do like Mark Maclure's common sense approach to special comments - entertaining but pithy too. What did you think of the Natanui tackle? "Loved it. Should have more of them!"
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: West Coast Eagles & West Perth

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Good argument for Carlton as crap Fat Side. Not only crap, but crap for a long time. Poor recruiting, poor retention, poor in-trading, poor out-trading, poor development.

Like many I just look at Carlton and go 'rubbish, meh'.

While I accept your argument for being the best long-term crap team that time and time again fails its supporters (and has done so for about 20 years), for me it fails the 'Most Overrated Team of 2018' question as I didn't rate them at the start of the year. I.e. you can't overrate something you didn't rate in the first place.

For me, flag favourites with immense depth to cover injuries to a game and a half outside the eight and hanging on to a finals chance by the thinnest of margins at the half season point - GWS.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby farmer joe on Tue May 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Fremantle. Their whole existence is pointless. They should fold. More chance of building a successful culture, team and club on the Gold Coast party strip than Freo with the diehard, interfering old boys down there. I hear what Q says about teams being in Tassie or the NT but I wouldn't even bother doing that with Freo.

Seriously though the most overrated team of 2018 has to be Geelong. How much did we hear going into the season about Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett. Given how our midfield has performed so far I take our midfield over those 3 in one team. Next is Port..any team that recruits Jack Watts, Tom the dh Rockliff and Lindsay flopping Thomas has issues and will never see sustained success.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: Most Overrated Team of 2018

Postby farmer joe on Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Mr Q wrote:
DALBY wrote:A Tasmania team or even a Northern Territory team makes more sense to me too. Gold Coast and GWS are just money pits.


I'd rather a money pit that exposes more people to our great game than one that props up too many Victorian teams.


Absolutely. 7000 at the North/GWS game in Hobart will not justify a team in an AFL playing state.

Lets be realistic though. If the AFL was truly intent on building the game it would be Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon or Geelong playing North in Tassie. Not GWS with their 3 supporters. Any of the big victorian clubs and the crowd is way more than 7000.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Next

Return to AFL Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest