West Coast v Collingwood
Game Focus

AFL says MASSIVE FUCK YOU to non-Vic states

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

AFL says MASSIVE FUCK YOU to non-Vic states

Postby Mr Q on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-12/g ... m-megadeal

Yep, we all knew this would happen, but yet again the people running the game put the V in AFL.

I can understand the Victorian government pushing for this - they are the Victorian government after all, but the AFL needs to remember which end of their first letter is the pointy end - it's the top, not the bottom.

Edit: It's notable that we've now had five straight GFs where a Melbourne team beat a non-Vic team. And there hasn't been a case of a non-Vic team with no concessions beating a Vic team in the GF since 1998, when the Crows won - the only non-Vic teams to beat Vic teams since then were Brisbane (02-04 v Ess/Coll), and Sydney (2011 v Haw), both of which had pretty serious salary cap concessions to be able to do so.

With the structure of the competition having so many teams in Melbourne, and thus pushing Vic teams to either end of the ladder and non-Vic to the middle, it is making it so much easier for Vic teams to win premierships.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: AFL says MASSIVE FUCK YOU to non-Vic states

Postby HH on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 am

Yes locking in the grand final at the MCG until 2057 just entrenches the cozy little Victorian boys club.

Now all they need to do is to get out of WADA’s regulatory oversight, find nice respectable AFL jobs for Hird and all the Essendon 34 (post playing career) and engineer flags for Melbourne and St Kilda and all will be right again in the world.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am

It's getting to the point where I'd rather see Freo or Port win flags than *any* of the Vic clubs.

And FFS, relocate one of them properly to Tasmania. They deserve their own team, not Victorian leavings.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:05 pm

The Grand Final was never going to be played at anywhere except the MCG. What I cant believe is that the AFL doesn't use an opportunity like this to sort the MCC out. Sucks balls bigtime that 000's of people each week get the best seats in the house because their daddy or granddaddy signed them up as a MCC member at birth.

Q. You have lost me. Freo? Really....
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I’m with you Joe. Anyone but Freo.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm

HH wrote:I’m with you Joe. Anyone but Freo.

Freo? NEVER!
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Those that know me will not be at all surprised that I'm firmly with Q on this one - ANY team not from Victoria, Freo included.

That fucking welfare case winning it 2 years ago was close to the worst thing I've seen happen in football.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:48 pm

So much for all the Equality crap the AFL talks about.

Mind you most of that is taking from the non-Vic teams and giving it to the Vic teams.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 pm

The AFL's wet dream would be in a ten year period, five flags going to the traditional big four (Car/Coll/Ess/Rich), then three to the smaller Vic clubs. The remaining two spread over NSW/Qld.

WA and SA can basically get fucked, then a bit more fucked. Ideally from the AFL's perspective, the WA/SA clubs all finish 6-14 every year.

I reckon our new stadium was a big part of this - we could make a reasonable argument that we have the capacity to hold the AFL GF without the MCC members. Now our stadium will be 40 years old before it could potentially get a chance.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Bottom line: Money >>> Integrity
Blatantly unfair, but also totally predictable.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Fat Side wrote:
HH wrote:I’m with you Joe. Anyone but Freo.

Freo? NEVER!

I tried. Round 2 with the Muppets playing the DrugScum I tried to support the second WA team. But my childhood hatred of all things East and South Fremantle was too much. I hate to admit it, but I was going for the Scum.
Whilst I will admit that it was a bit like supporting gonorrhoea over syphilis, I just couldn't go for Freo.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Bottom line: Money >>> Integrity
Blatantly unfair, but also totally predictable.

Money had nothing to do with it.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

With you all the way Q there is no argument here that stands up, this is the VFL raw and uncloaked pulling down their pants in front of all of Australia, bending over and speading their arse cheeks. The fucking nerve of these arrogant pricks to lock this for half a lifetime!

VFL headquarters know exactly what its doing.

Propped up Vic basketcases and has-beens winning the past 5 flags over better interstate teams was bringing this absurd situation rapidly to a head and the VFL has become desperate. They have seen the new interstate stadiums and how the bullshit capacity argument is eroded. They know its a massive advantage to the VFL. They know it cant be justified. Fucking Australia's population is projected to double in the next 40 years yet these pricks in Victoria thinks this should remain a suburban comp for all of time? Fuck me.

They have heard the growing backlash know exactly where this has to go for the future of a genuine national competition and have simply gone FUCK THAT!

Black day for footy what a joke of a competition
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Mr Q wrote:The AFL's wet dream would be in a ten year period, five flags going to the traditional big four (Car/Coll/Ess/Rich), then three to the smaller Vic clubs. The remaining two spread over NSW/Qld.

WA and SA can basically get fucked, then a bit more fucked. Ideally from the AFL's perspective, the WA/SA clubs all finish 6-14 every year.

I reckon our new stadium was a big part of this - we could make a reasonable argument that we have the capacity to hold the AFL GF without the MCC members. Now our stadium will be 40 years old before it could potentially get a chance.

And the fact that we had already started to pursue the idea of it.

Us getting a State of Origin game next year and Adelaide in 2020 would have given them a bit of a shake. If Perth/Adelaide could get ahold of a SoO game they could actually grab an AFL GF. That is unfair to the Vic teams.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Mr Q wrote:The AFL's wet dream would be in a ten year period, five flags going to the traditional big four (Car/Coll/Ess/Rich), then three to the smaller Vic clubs. The remaining two spread over NSW/Qld.

The issue here for me is; was there consultation or did the AFL make this decision on their own? Surely if the agreement is politically based (it is linked to funding stadia upgrades) then all jurisdictions should have been invited to a meeting to discuss the proposal and the outcome.

The decision is clearly by Victorians for Victorians. It is a slap in the face for SA, WA, NSW and Qld given the McGowan made it clear that the AFL GF should be played in Perth.

It is clearly not a national competition. If the AFL needs to sell 'interstate' clubs down the road to secure cash, they will do it. Their ethics are worse than $20 hookers. The fact that we are called 'interstate' clubs rather than 'non Victorian' clubs says it all.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to AFL Board