Page 1 of 1

What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 am
by Fat Side
Why are there so many players with hyphenated surnames? Surely the number is unprecedented and growing.

In 2017 there were 11 AFL players with hyphenated surnames:
Ellis-Yolmen
Petrevski-Seton
Powell-Pepper
Hoskin-Elliott
Horlin-Smith
McDonald-Tipungwuti
Glass-McCasker
Neal-Bullen
Vickers-Willis
Byrne-Jones
Mullenger-McHugh

There are at least two more to be drafted this year:
Davies-Uniacke
Coleman-Jones

Are these guys retaining their mother's maiden name? Has mum been married twice and they're representing both father figures?

A commentator's nightmare.

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:00 pm
by wce1293
I don't know why but I find it annoying.
Every time I hear Sam Powell-Pepper's name I'm thinking "Peter piper picked a pack of pickled peppers"
I think maybe the parents aren't married, so they use both names?

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:55 pm
by Fat Side
wce1293 wrote:I don't know why but I find it annoying.
Every time I hear Sam Powell-Pepper's name I'm thinking "Peter piper picked a pack of pickled peppers"
I think maybe the parents aren't married, so they use both names?


Add Zerk-Thatcher to that list.

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:47 pm
by twistedkelly
Now with the yes vote it’s only going to get more common

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 pm
by Fat Side
twistedkelly wrote:Now with the yes vote it’s only going to get more common


How do you figure that?

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 am
by jourgo
Fat Side wrote:
twistedkelly wrote:Now with the yes vote it’s only going to get more common


How do you figure that?


Hyphenated surnames typically come about because the wife doesn't want to completely abandon her maiden name.

Traditionally, the woman will take the man's surname in marriage. If you've got 2 women or 2 men getting married, the likelihood is neither will want to give up their name completely, or both will suggest that the names are carried on together. Seems logical to me.

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 pm
by Fat Side
jourgo wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
twistedkelly wrote:Now with the yes vote it’s only going to get more common


How do you figure that?


Hyphenated surnames typically come about because the wife doesn't want to completely abandon her maiden name.


Perhaps, but defacto couples will always have different surnames (unless by chance or deed poll). The yes vote will have same sex couples marrying and therefore being more likely to share a surname instead of hyphenating the names of their children to reflect both parents. I don't know how many AFL footballers have same sex parents, but the assumption that a 'yes' vote is going to make hyphenated surnames more common is utter rubbish.

What I see is that hyphenated surnames are becoming more common anyway. AFL footballers are at least within a month or so of turning 18 so the names chosen for kids was happening at least 18 years ago.

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:55 am
by jourgo
Fat Side wrote:Perhaps, but defacto couples will always have different surnames (unless by chance or deed poll). The yes vote will have same sex couples marrying and therefore being more likely to share a surname instead of hyphenating the names of their children to reflect both parents. I don't know how many AFL footballers have same sex parents, but the assumption that a 'yes' vote is going to make hyphenated surnames more common is utter rubbish.

What I see is that hyphenated surnames are becoming more common anyway. AFL footballers are at least within a month or so of turning 18 so the names chosen for kids was happening at least 18 years ago.


I guess time will tell.

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am
by Mr Q
jourgo wrote:Hyphenated surnames typically come about because the wife doesn't want to completely abandon her maiden name.

Traditionally, the woman will take the man's surname in marriage. If you've got 2 women or 2 men getting married, the likelihood is neither will want to give up their name completely, or both will suggest that the names are carried on together. Seems logical to me.


It seems like you're pulling a very, very long bow with that one. Very long.

Re: What's with the hyphen?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:27 pm
by jourgo
Mr Q wrote:
jourgo wrote:Hyphenated surnames typically come about because the wife doesn't want to completely abandon her maiden name.

Traditionally, the woman will take the man's surname in marriage. If you've got 2 women or 2 men getting married, the likelihood is neither will want to give up their name completely, or both will suggest that the names are carried on together. Seems logical to me.


It seems like you're pulling a very, very long bow with that one. Very long.


Meh. Its not something I spend a great deal of time thinking about.