Advanced  

Latest Result

Preliminary Final Perth Stadium
Sat, 22 Sep 2018 • 13:20 WST
West Coast Melbourne
18.13 (121) 7.13 (55)
Game Focus

Next Game

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast v Collingwood
Game Focus



Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby Mr Q on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 am

I think that the bias in the Grand Final is becoming obvious now - if you don't live in Melbourne.

  • The only non-Vic clubs to have beaten MCG tenants in a Grand Final are Sydney (Haw: 2012) and Brisbane (Coll: 2002/2003). Both had the COLA at the time.
  • MCG tenants have won four of the last five over non-Vic opponents (Haw d Freo, Haw d Syd, Haw d WC, Rich d Adel).
  • In the last four seasons, Sydney, West Coast, Sydney again and Adelaide finished higher on the ladder than their Melb based opponents. How likely is it that it would be 0-4 if the MCG wasn't always the GF venue?
  • MCG based clubs (there are four) have won six premierships in the last ten years (Haw:4, Coll/Rich: 1). Against one from outside Victoria from eight clubs (to be fair, I will admit the previous six premiers were all non-Vic)

I'm thinking that the only possible way to make it fair is to institute a COGF (Cost of Grand Final) for all non-Victorian clubs. Or perhaps a slight loading if you're Vic, but not based at the 'G, and a whopping loading if you're non-Vic.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby Mr Q on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 am

Also, what a bloody awful finals series. One match with a result less than six goals (OK, that was our after-the-siren-in-extra-time win, and that was awesome, but one in nine?).

Five finals decided by over ten goals (and a sixth was 59 points). A fizzer of a GF (eight goals) unless you were a Tigger fan. Two pretty boring Prelims.

The AFL would have to be disappointed with the finish to the season after how close the regular season was.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 am

Mr Q wrote:Also, what a bloody awful finals series. One match with a result less than six goals (OK, that was our after-the-siren-in-extra-time win, and that was awesome, but one in nine?).

Five finals decided by over ten goals (and a sixth was 59 points). A fizzer of a GF (eight goals) unless you were a Tigger fan. Two pretty boring Prelims.

The AFL would have to be disappointed with the finish to the season after how close the regular season was.



Id say the AFL will still deem this series as a success...because of all the hype around richmond being premiers.

We just gotta remember its the VFL not AFL.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:21 am

Mr Q wrote:I think that the bias in the Grand Final is becoming obvious now - if you don't live in Melbourne.

  • The only non-Vic clubs to have beaten MCG tenants in a Grand Final are Sydney (Haw: 2012) and Brisbane (Coll: 2002/2003). Both had the COLA at the time.
  • MCG tenants have won four of the last five over non-Vic opponents (Haw d Freo, Haw d Syd, Haw d WC, Rich d Adel).
  • In the last four seasons, Sydney, West Coast, Sydney again and Adelaide finished higher on the ladder than their Melb based opponents. How likely is it that it would be 0-4 if the MCG wasn't always the GF venue?
  • MCG based clubs (there are four) have won six premierships in the last ten years (Haw:4, Coll/Rich: 1). Against one from outside Victoria from eight clubs (to be fair, I will admit the previous six premiers were all non-Vic)

I'm thinking that the only possible way to make it fair is to institute a COGF (Cost of Grand Final) for all non-Victorian clubs. Or perhaps a slight loading if you're Vic, but not based at the 'G, and a whopping loading if you're non-Vic.


The AFL is a Melbourne Boy's Club plaything. Non Vic. Sides are just there to prop up the ailing Melb clubs. Their integrity is poor given they constantly amend interpretations to ensure their favourites play in GFs and win Brownlows.

The GF is a corporate spectacle so it can be played at a neutral or home venue of the team finishing highest. It's time to lobby for this particularly with new enhanced stadia across all capital cities.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Cotchin and Ellis should have been suspended based of the AFL's own rulebook.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby Mr Q on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Cotchin and Ellis should have been suspended based of the AFL's own rulebook.


I'm sure they used the Barry Hall rule, which is based on a lax version of the Chewbacca defence.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Grand Final 2017: Adelaide v Richmond

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Mr Q wrote:I think that the bias in the Grand Final is becoming obvious now - if you don't live in Melbourne.

  • The only non-Vic clubs to have beaten MCG tenants in a Grand Final are Sydney (Haw: 2012) and Brisbane (Coll: 2002/2003). Both had the COLA at the time.
  • MCG tenants have won four of the last five over non-Vic opponents (Haw d Freo, Haw d Syd, Haw d WC, Rich d Adel).
  • In the last four seasons, Sydney, West Coast, Sydney again and Adelaide finished higher on the ladder than their Melb based opponents. How likely is it that it would be 0-4 if the MCG wasn't always the GF venue?
  • MCG based clubs (there are four) have won six premierships in the last ten years (Haw:4, Coll/Rich: 1). Against one from outside Victoria from eight clubs (to be fair, I will admit the previous six premiers were all non-Vic)

I'm thinking that the only possible way to make it fair is to institute a COGF (Cost of Grand Final) for all non-Victorian clubs. Or perhaps a slight loading if you're Vic, but not based at the 'G, and a whopping loading if you're non-Vic.


Well said. It really is time they stopped playing the Grand Final only at the MCG. It's a national sport and there are better ovals i.e. Adelaide (maybe Burswood Casino; hopefully).

The best option would be to play it at the main stadium in the state the top Grand Final team is from. However for those sour sods from Victoria who say that is too hard at a weeks notice then another option would be to award next years Grand Final to the home state of last years winner; similar to how Eurovision works. 80% of the tickets should also be awarded to the members of each club regardless; the AFL with it's TV money and equalisation policies can not longer justify this being for their mates or because it's their main income or that every club needs a slice of the pie.

A very boring final series indeed, simply awful.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Previous

Return to AFL Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest