Thu, 21 Jun 2018 • 18:10 WST
West Coast v Essenscum
Game Focus

Stupidest Team names.

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: Stupidest Team names.

Postby Mr Q on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am

To be fair, most older nicknames weren't meant to have that fear or intimidatory factor that is prevalent in newer names. They usually said something about the team makeup, or where it was from, perhaps the team colours. Have a look at some of the historic names for AFL clubs. Hawthorn were the Mayblooms, North were the Bluebirds, Melbourne were the Fuchsias. Sydney of course remain the Swans (though they can give you a nasty nip), and Carlton are the Blues.

Locally, one wouldn't be particularly scared of a bunch of Royals or Swans, and previously the Maroons (Subiaco) wouldn't exactly have given anyone pause, and I'm sure a lot of other clubs had similar names.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby sydney eagle on Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 am

Of course the Swans (as their fans constantly remind us) were once known as "The Bloods". I've often thought of them as "those bloody swans", especially when they beat the Eagles !
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 am

sydney eagle wrote:Of course the Swans (as their fans constantly remind us) were once known as "The Bloods". I've often thought of them as "those bloody swans", especially when they beat the Eagles !

Yeah, they like that, but it really was a long time ago. The "Swans" moniker was given to them as long ago as the 1930s when South Melbourne had a lot of West Australians playing for them - as a result of all the WA boys, they got named Swans.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to AFL Board