Advanced  

Latest Result

Round 21 Adelaide Oval
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 • 14:35 WST
West Coast Port Adelaide
9.8 (62) 9.4 (58)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 22 Perth Stadium
Sun, 19 Aug 2018 • 13:20 WST
West Coast v Melbourne
Game Focus



ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Mr Q on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am

OK. There has been an unacceptable amount of abuse slung on this site in the last couple of weeks.

I've had enough, so the next person who slings anything I see as unacceptable will cop the same as Morsey just has - all your posts will go into moderation for when I can be arsed clearing them. If I have to keep disapproving them for more abuse, I'll just cut you off. If enough of you test me out on this, I'll shut the site down for a month so I can have a holiday from moderating crap. Or maybe forever if I really can't be bothered. I don't have the time I used to have to waste on keeping an eye on idiots.

I run this site as a free service for Eagles fans and footy fans in general. When I get pissed off, I wonder whether or not I can be arsed with the effort (and for that matter the money) that I have to put in to keep this place running.

I'd rather shut EFH down than have it degenerate into a place where everyone just abuses each other.
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby The Boat on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 am

Good idea. I reckon you should shut the site down over summer and regroup later on next year.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Morsey on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:00 am

sorry Q but this should be for only EAGLES supporters
Morsey
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Geelong

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Mr Q on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:18 am

Morsey wrote:sorry Q but this should be for only EAGLES supporters


On this one, I'm going to pull "my site, my rules". If you don't like it, you can find another Eagles forum to post on. I don't put time and energy and money into running a site so people can use it as a mechanism to tee off against other people.

Read the Rules, specifically rule #2.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby moogadah on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 am

I think we need only look at DL for damning evidence of just how insular a forum can become when open discussion is not encouraged, in fact openly discouraged.
I don't always find LPP's and Gravy's posts welcome, particularly when they come in and go straight on the attack, but they - well LPP in any case - do bring a certain perspective that can make one think twice.

Mr Q wrote:
I'd rather shut EFH down than have it degenerate into a place where everyone just abuses each other.


I am mostly an observer rather than a contributor as quite frankly, my football knowledge pales in comparison to the likes of Streaker, VOR, Q, TP (the list goes on). But I do find the forum valuable in enhancing my understanding in making sense of what just took place on the field. I would hope that Q takes this into consideration when he gets cheesed with peoples regressing into school yard argy bargy.
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
User avatar
moogadah
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Block 106

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby farmer joe on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am

Morsey wrote:sorry Q but this should be for only EAGLES supporters

I disagree. I admire the work Q puts in and thank him for that. Difference in opinion is a great thing in life and the world shouldn't melt down when opinions differ.
I have spent years on and off this site. My footy knowledge lacks at time and the thoughts of others that post on here have often made me understand real issues more thoroughly. I hope Q keeps the site up and running. I have an 18 year old son who is VERY active on BF and we don't need that stuff on here. Him and his mates get a laugh out of it but I can do without it.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Voice of Reason on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:24 am

farmer joe wrote:
Morsey wrote:sorry Q but this should be for only EAGLES supporters

I disagree. I admire the work Q puts in and thank him for that. Difference in opinion is a great thing in life and the world shouldn't melt down when opinions differ.
I have spent years on and off this site. My footy knowledge lacks at time and the thoughts of others that post on here have often made me understand real issues more thoroughly. I hope Q keeps the site up and running. I have an 18 year old son who is VERY active on BF and we don't need that stuff on here. Him and his mates get a laugh out of it but I can do without it.


Two things:
1. The site is primarily for Eagles supporters, but supporters of other teams should be welcome here because it broadens the debate
2. Q has done a marvellous job for many years in providing this free service and everyone (Eagles & others) should obey the rules of his site.
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: West Coast Eagles & West Perth

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby WCE06 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 am

There's no excuse for personal abuse.

To all of you who have ever disagreed with me - you are wrong. But I still love you.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
User avatar
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:11 pm

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Mykidsdad on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Good call Q
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
User avatar
Mykidsdad
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 am
Location: Perth

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby OccidentalShoreline on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Fair cop, I'll happily read the contributions of non-Eagles supporters, we're in trouble if we can't listen to outsiders' views lest we turn into that execrable forum from the mob down the highway.

As far as Q's massive contribution goes, it seems that his labour of love is becoming more of the former than the latter. As much as I enjoy this forum, I can understand him wanting to pull the pin; if he does, thanks for fighting the good fight and helping those of us outside WA keep abreast of our great club. If life was fair, you'd never have to pay for a beer in Perth again.
OccidentalShoreline
Regular
 
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Eliot Mess on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:09 pm

It's also good for your brain to not nastily attack posters just for being a supporter of another team
(unless they start the Nasty, like poor, depressed gravy...sheesh).

Disagree...or Demolish, with style, wit, humour, reason, or
Be stubbornly unaccepting...

But ugly slash attacks are for keyboard cowards.
User avatar
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:22 am

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Amadeus on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am

Mr Q wrote:
Morsey wrote:sorry Q but this should be for only EAGLES supporters


On this one, I'm going to pull "my site, my rules". If you don't like it, you can find another Eagles forum to post on. I don't put time and energy and money into running a site so people can use it as a mechanism to tee off against other people.

Read the Rules, specifically rule #2.
Interesting
I hadn't realised there were Dockers supporters on here (until I saw the brawl.)
Whether you half support them or love to hate them, I believe the Dockers will always warrant special attention as the other WA team. Then there is the issue that many do buy into the Western Derby hype. So there will always be discussion and I think the balanced views of Dockers supporters contribute to that discussion.

If you have grown up in WA simple fact of life is that you will have friends and colleagues who have gone to the dark-purple side. Whilst we are obligated to provide good-natured ribbing at appropriate times, sometimes mateship also kicks in and I have found myself commiserating with some. It's like they've had 2005 & 2007, but without 2006. :(

Poking fun at opposition supporters is almost mandatory, abusing or attacking people because they have a different viewpoint is not acceptable. Really some viewpoints are just wrong but that cant be applied to somebody who simply chooses to follow a different team.
Amadeus
Regular
 
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby WC Aquila on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 am

In the first post on this thread Mr Q wrote : "I run this site as a free service for Eagles fans and footy fans in general. When I get pissed off, I wonder whether or not I can be arsed with the effort (and for that matter the money) that I have to put in to keep this place running."
I suggest as a matter of help paying for the cost of running this site, can you put a section up on the home page where members can donate money to help with the cost of running this site. I think it great there are no ads on this site, but we can't continue indefinitely to rely on the cost to Mr Q to keep this site going. I have seen some sites where the blogger has a link with the comment "buy me a coffee", or you can do something along the lines of Wikipedia, keep it voluntary and allow us to donate to keep the site running.
WC Aquila
Regular
 
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby DALBY on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:22 pm

It is the internet, you will always have idiots that post silly posts. It is near on impossible to moderate every single post. Cheers for all your hard work Q.
You'll probably find EFH a little bit quiet in the off season anyhow.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: ABUSE: Mechanisms for handling it

Postby Corkintheocean on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 am

Mr Q wrote:OK. There has been an unacceptable amount of abuse slung on this site in the last couple of weeks.

I've had enough, so the next person who slings anything I see as unacceptable will cop the same as Morsey just has - all your posts will go into moderation for when I can be arsed clearing them. If I have to keep disapproving them for more abuse, I'll just cut you off. If enough of you test me out on this, I'll shut the site down for a month so I can have a holiday from moderating crap. Or maybe forever if I really can't be bothered. I don't have the time I used to have to waste on keeping an eye on idiots.

I run this site as a free service for Eagles fans and footy fans in general. When I get pissed off, I wonder whether or not I can be arsed with the effort (and for that matter the money) that I have to put in to keep this place running.

I'd rather shut EFH down than have it degenerate into a place where everyone just abuses each other.


Have been out of town for the past few weeks & haven't seen the offending posts. Mr Q I truly appreciate your dedication to running this site for free & would be extremely disappointed if the actions of a few nongs caused you shut it down. Perhaps shutting it down for a week would make the perpertrators go elsewhere. And make all of us loyal EFH followers take pause to realise what an invaluable service you provide - because for this Eagle supporter it's this site - or the blather we have to wade thru in The Worst or on the biased Melbourne football TV shows. And Mr Q, I'd shout you a beer or two anytime. In lieu of that a thousand thanks to you for giving us EFH.
2014 Sponsor of Callum "The Ex-Rookie Rookie" Sinclair
Corkintheocean
Regular
 
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Next

Return to AFL Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest

cron