Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby HH on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 pm

James Hird would be perfect at Freakmantle. I hope they recruit him. He would really add to their culture.
User avatar
HH
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: Captain’s Club

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby Mr Q on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:03 am

Fuck me, Freo are actually going to do this.

It's a disgrace - Hird should have been banned for life from being involved in a coaching or player administration role in sport.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Mr Q wrote:Fuck me, Freo are actually going to do this.

It's a disgrace - Hird should have been banned for life from being involved in a coaching or player administration role in sport.

Like you, I have said all along that Hird should not be allowed anywhere near any coaching or admin position... FOR LIFE. Weak as piss from start to finish by the AFL.

In a way I am glad that if he is going to any club, it is Freo. I would have had serious moral issues regarding my support if he had come to the WCE.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Hird working at any club is unbelievable. Isn't he a self confessed keeper of steriods in his office at Essendon; 'for persona use,' so apparently was doing nothing wrong and did not have to justify why. Yeah right.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 pm

It goes on and on and on...

Judge reserves decision on latest twist in Essendon supplements saga

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/supplemen ... 4z5jc.html
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby HH on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm

I don't know about you blokes but I personally don't need a judge to make a ruling to say that the AFL engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct by:

1. Demetriou tipping off Essendon that ASADA were about to swoop so that they self reported;
2. Conducting a fake investigation that:
a) initially tried to exonerate the club and its management but only turned on them once Hird & Co found the AFL's penalties to be unpalatable; and
b) always tried to protect the players despite their own culpability to protect the precious brand;
3. Conducting a biaised Tribunal hearing that never ever would have found the players guilty in order to protect the precious brand; and
4. Despite rightfully banning Hird from the game and making statements that he never ever would be welcomed back, reneging on that by allowing him to present the Normie at last year's GF and allowing Freo to take him on as an assistant coach, just to preserve good old jobs for the boys and the sake of his welfare apparently.

But if an action of this nature is going to be taken, how about adding another ground to it - that it is totally misleading and disceptive to continue to refer to this as a "supplements" saga. It was a systemic performance enhancing drug cheating program set in motion by Hird.
User avatar
HH
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: Captain’s Club

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby wce1293 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 pm

HH wrote:I don't know about you blokes but I personally don't need a judge to make a ruling to say that the AFL engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct by:

1. Demetriou tipping off Essendon that ASADA were about to swoop so that they self reported;
2. Conducting a fake investigation that:
a) initially tried to exonerate the club and its management but only turned on them once Hird & Co found the AFL's penalties to be unpalatable; and
b) always tried to protect the players despite their own culpability to protect the precious brand;
3. Conducting a biaised Tribunal hearing that never ever would have found the players guilty in order to protect the precious brand; and
4. Despite rightfully banning Hird from the game and making statements that he never ever would be welcomed back, reneging on that by allowing him to present the Normie at last year's GF and allowing Freo to take him on as an assistant coach, just to preserve good old jobs for the boys and the sake of his welfare apparently.

But if an action of this nature is going to be taken, how about adding another ground to it - that it is totally misleading and disceptive to continue to refer to this as a "supplements" saga. It was a systemic performance enhancing drug cheating program set in motion by Hird.


Yet Essendon, Hird, Thompson etc all think they were hard done by, by the AFL. The AFL is a boy's club alright, and those boys have so much power they can let him back in and not even bat an eyelid.
The WORST thing you can do in sport is CHEAT or ATTEMPT TO CHEAT. How can they let him back in? It's almost like it doesn't matter how badly you behave, give it a year or two and everything's forgiven/forgotten.
On Footy Classified the other night, Caroline Wilson, Hutchy, Lloyd and Judd all thought he should come back :shock:
wce1293
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:56 am

wce1293 wrote:
HH wrote:I don't know about you blokes but I personally don't need a judge to make a ruling to say that the AFL engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct by:

1. Demetriou tipping off Essendon that ASADA were about to swoop so that they self reported;
2. Conducting a fake investigation that:
a) initially tried to exonerate the club and its management but only turned on them once Hird & Co found the AFL's penalties to be unpalatable; and
b) always tried to protect the players despite their own culpability to protect the precious brand;
3. Conducting a biaised Tribunal hearing that never ever would have found the players guilty in order to protect the precious brand; and
4. Despite rightfully banning Hird from the game and making statements that he never ever would be welcomed back, reneging on that by allowing him to present the Normie at last year's GF and allowing Freo to take him on as an assistant coach, just to preserve good old jobs for the boys and the sake of his welfare apparently.

But if an action of this nature is going to be taken, how about adding another ground to it - that it is totally misleading and disceptive to continue to refer to this as a "supplements" saga. It was a systemic performance enhancing drug cheating program set in motion by Hird.


Yet Essendon, Hird, Thompson etc all think they were hard done by, by the AFL. The AFL is a boy's club alright, and those boys have so much power they can let him back in and not even bat an eyelid.
The WORST thing you can do in sport is CHEAT or ATTEMPT TO CHEAT. How can they let him back in? It's almost like it doesn't matter how badly you behave, give it a year or two and everything's forgiven/forgotten.
On Footy Classified the other night, Caroline Wilson, Hutchy, Lloyd and Judd all thought he should come back :shock:


That is extremely terrible that they have such views, yet I am sure they view the appointment of Cousins to a community based role where he has no impact with current players as a bad move and that we shouldn't associate ourselves with him.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby CouchPotato on Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-great-mark-bomber-thompson-arrested-on-drug-charges-ng-b88822699z

I know others will disagree, but this is a really sad state of affairs in my view - wouldn't wish it on anyone.

This doping saga has ruined a lot of lives.
CouchPotato
Veteran
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 01, 2018 2:28 pm

This might need to be locked too given that it is only an allegation at the moment and is yet to be dealt with by the court.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Fat Side wrote:This might need to be locked too given that it is only an allegation at the moment and is yet to be dealt with by the court.

I would argue not at this stage as the details of the arrest are in the public domain. IF (and it's a big if), people start to speculate on this and link it to other stuff, then maybe.

This is alleged trafficking and possession of class A drugs, not the sort of stuff that was used at the scum. IF (and another big if) other stuff comes out in court, then it is all fair game and bring it on.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby HH on Tue May 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Just watch the VFL fall over itself to defend him.

How different it would be if he coached an interstate team to two flags.
User avatar
HH
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: Captain’s Club

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue May 01, 2018 4:46 pm

HH wrote:Just watch the VFL fall over itself to defend him.

How different it would be if he coached an interstate team to two flags.


Yes; very.

Maybe they can rehabilitate him by giving him a role in this years Grand Final?
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Geelongs 2x premierships are now tainted...there were rumors swirling back then about his extra curicular activities.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby DALBY on Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 am

Mark Thompson has been arrested now.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

PreviousNext

Return to AFL Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest