Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Discuss the AFL, other clubs and the game in general

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: Essendon doping bombshell (What Bombshell)

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:47 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-08/a ... field-case

"On 31 October 2016, ASADA asked the AFL for its full investigation file, which we are still awaiting," an ASADA spokesperson told AFL.com.au.

I couldn't believe that the AFL would be dragging their feet over a player (and two officials) doping issue. That would be out of character.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:51 am

HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Wombat on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Jobe has handed the Brownlow back, but said he's doing it because other people think its tainted (aka not him)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/essendon ... sne0n.html
Wombat
Rookie

Postby jourgo on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:36 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He's been told he's going to lose it and to save face should consider relinquishing it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Tagger24 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Jobe Watson wrote:I want to make it clear that today's decision does not in anyway reflect a change in my personal opinion regarding the merits of the CAS finding, but rather reflects my desire to put to a close further speculation about what should be done with the 2012 Brownlow Medal

Yeh, Jobe "I''m a good bloke" Watson can GAGF.
Tagger24
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:10 pm

jourgo wrote:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He's been told he's going to lose it and to save face should consider relinquishing it.

My first thought exactly.

And saves the AFL from actually making a decision that hey have to announce then defend publicly.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:45 pm

AFL Players' Association CEO Paul Marsh also released a statement, saying while he was disappointed for Watson but respected his decision.

He said he hoped all the players involved could now move on.

"Despite this outcome, Jobe remains a true champion of our game and a universally respected leader," Marsh said.

No Paul. He'd be a universally respected leader if he actually showed leadership at the time when the crazy plan to inject him and the players with unknown substances offsite was first raised, and used his status as captain to take a stand on behalf of the players and said "No, not under my watch".

Instead, he was complicit in it and tried to use the "dumb footballer who just trusted the advice I was given" excuse.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I just hope the AFL acts quickly, presents a medal to Cochin and Mitchell asap, and then everyone can just get on with their lives
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:06 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-14/b ... 2012-medal

Finally a decision is going to be made. I believe the AFL will award the Brownlow to Mitchell and Cotchin.

Not awarding the Brownlow for 2012 will be a constant realisation that something insidious occurred that year and the AFL needs to be reminded of it. Pffft!! They won't wear that. As far as the AFL is concerned the Essendon players are victims and, besides who wants to be reminded of that.

The AFL have not changed the rules to protect themselves against future occurrences and therefore the last thing they need is an asterix telling them "I told you so." Best put it behind us and forget anything happened and we'll continue to laud Watson.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:07 am

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-14/brownlow-dday-afl-set-to-make-call-on-2012-medal

Finally a decision is going to be made. I believe the AFL will award the Brownlow to Mitchell and Cotchin.

Not awarding the Brownlow for 2012 will be a constant realisation that something insidious occurred that year and the AFL needs to be reminded of it. Pffft!! They won't wear that. As far as the AFL is concerned the Essendon players are victims and, besides who wants to be reminded of that.

The AFL have not changed the rules to protect themselves against future occurrences and therefore the last thing they need is an asterix telling them "I told you so." Best put it behind us and forget anything happened and we'll continue to laud Watson.

No they wont, this spineless organisation will put it back on mitchell and cotchin to accept the award. "WOULD you guys accept the brownlow IF we decide to award it to the runners up"
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:17 pm

It will come as no surprise to anyone that the AFL has taken three years to decided that the 2012 Brownlow Medal be awarded to Cotchin and Mitchell
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Tagger24 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Fat Side wrote:It will come as no surprise to anyone that the AFL has taken three years to decided that the 2012 Brownlow Medal be awarded to Cotchin and Mitchell

Whitfield was also banned for 6 months. Two decisions in one day. What is going on at AFLHQ?! :shock:
Tagger24
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Tagger24 wrote:
Fat Side wrote:It will come as no surprise to anyone that the AFL has taken three years to decided that the 2012 Brownlow Medal be awarded to Cotchin and Mitchell

Whitfield was also banned for 6 months. Two decisions in one day. What is going on at AFLHQ?! :shock:

Ah Yes, the good old joke suspension over the off season. That's really going to hurt.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:14 pm

So let me get this right.
Whitfield avoided a potential test for illicit drugs, that would have at worst earned him a 1st strike (aka "a slap on the wrist") and the AFL are happy to rub him out for 6 months.
Yet, if they'd had their way, the drug-cheating scum players would have walked away scot free???

Harley Bennell gets photographed snorting drugs. Where's his penalty?
Only difference is that GWS are flying high, whilst GC have shit themselves.

What about Swan's confession (like anyone was surprised)?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby west coast ego on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:So let me get this right.
Whitfield avoided a potential test for illicit drugs, that would have at worst earned him a 1st strike (aka "a slap on the wrist") and the AFL are happy to rub him out for 6 months.
Yet, if they'd had their way, the drug-cheating scum players would have walked away scot free???

Harley Bennell gets photographed snorting drugs. Where's his penalty?
Only difference is that GWS are flying high, whilst GC have shit themselves.

What about Swan's confession (like anyone was surprised)?

The obvious difference for Whitfield vs Bennell or Swan is that ASADA was sitting and watching over their shoulder which meant they couldn't execute thier go to move, "sweep it under the rug".
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
west coast ego
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to AFL Board