West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

AFL Womens League

The AFL Women's league

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Total Package on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:People think they get paid money for being good at something, but ultimately its for entertaining people. You can be the best Lawn Bowler or Archer in the world, and you won't make a cracker.

My point is simply that if ladies want to play footy, then good luck to them, have fun. But expecting to be PAID for it, out of money illegitimately syphoned off from the AFL is not ok.

I feel the same. I am 100% for female sports but I am also 100% against political correctness and 3rd+ wave feminism... and can see a mile away that politics and sport are going to mix. They've already started to... with them demanding pay increases before they've even kicked a footy.

This is nothing more than a political correctness exercise by the AFL. If it was truly a business decision then no businessman or woman worth their salt, would even think twice about investing in something that has been proven time and time again worldwide to be a failure and money drain... and that is women's professional teams in a male dominated sport.

So if the AFL want to run the comp... fine. If they want to pick up the administration costs... I'm ok with that too. But sportsmen and women are paid salaries based on the money they bring into their sport. Whether that is football, cricket, basketball, MMA... whatever. Rhonda Rousey was the highest paid ATHLETE in MMA... because she brought the most money in not because they decided there was a 'wage gap'. That is how sport works.

So if these women want better pay... then need to bring in better sponsors and TV rights deals. Until that happens... they can be like the original West Coast Eagles sides of 1987 when they came into a new competition.... barely getting paid enough money to live on and having to all have full time jobs as well... until the competition became popular enough to get TV rights deals and the players were duly rewarded.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Total Package wrote:I feel the same. I am 100% for female sports but I am also 100% against political correctness and 3rd+ wave feminism... and can see a mile away that politics and sport are going to mix. They've already started to... with them demanding pay increases before they've even kicked a footy.

This is nothing more than a political correctness exercise by the AFL. If it was truly a business decision then no businessman or woman worth their salt, would even think twice about investing in something that has been proven time and time again worldwide to be a failure and money drain... and that is women's professional teams in a male dominated sport.

So if the AFL want to run the comp... fine. If they want to pick up the administration costs... I'm ok with that too. But sportsmen and women are paid salaries based on the money they bring into their sport. Whether that is football, cricket, basketball, MMA... whatever. Rhonda Rousey was the highest paid ATHLETE in MMA... because she brought the most money in not because they decided there was a 'wage gap'. That is how sport works.

So if these women want better pay... then need to bring in better sponsors and TV rights deals. Until that happens... they can be like the original West Coast Eagles sides of 1987 when they came into a new competition.... barely getting paid enough money to live on and having to all have full time jobs as well... until the competition became popular enough to get TV rights deals and the players were duly rewarded.

The Selwood boys agree.
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... s8rk0.html
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:13 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Total Package wrote:I feel the same. I am 100% for female sports but I am also 100% against political correctness and 3rd+ wave feminism... and can see a mile away that politics and sport are going to mix. They've already started to... with them demanding pay increases before they've even kicked a footy.

The Selwood boys agree.
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... s8rk0.html

Glad they had the balls to say (albeit it sugar coating a little) what 99% of AFL footballers think but are too afraid to stay publically.

The last paragraph though makes me want to spew up my lunch... and is the reason I am against the AFL getting involved. Start it up as an independent competition run by others not the AFL. Let the AFL make donations if they want but it should be separate from the AFL. I don't see the AFL funding the WAFL and SANFL which should be more important to the growth and survival of the game.

Someone questioned in the other thread whether the Western Bulldogs female team will use "Sons of the West" or change it. I can guarantee you.. give it 10 years and Feminists will be demanding the Western Bulldogs male team change their own team song to a "gender neutral" song. Absolutely certain that will happen.

Former Australian Greens Leader Christine Milnes, Victorian State MPs Lily D'Ambrosio and Fiona Richardson and federal MP Brendan O'Connor are among the politicians that have shown their support for increased pay for female AFL players on social media by posting photos of themselves with their shoes off.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE06 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Get them playing in bra's and knickers
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Yeah, i think that the AFL and therefore your membership hasn't actually paid for everything themselves. Stadiums anyone? I'm against giving people money for hobbies like cycling and yachting, as income, but not against the government encouraging those activities by providing facilities etc.

The FFA or football federation has been siphoning money away from the matildas and underpaying them, despite them being more successful and being entertaining. Here is an idea, if the women get a decent wage, then they don't have to have jobs to go to and can train more, then the quality improves. If women get paid more, more women will try out for teams, and the quality improves. If it is a viable job proposition, then the sport goes professional, the quality improves. and so it goes, more viewers, more sponsorship.

Most of the money comes from the broadcast rights, and at least of the games per round will be broadcast, therefore the ladies should get more money than they are being offered. It's not too hard to think about. except if you just plain can't relate to females and hate women's sport because of other issues. Just don't watch it. It's not your money that's being used.
And they have already proven that they are more entertaining than watching essendon.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Hamburger on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:Yeah, i think that the AFL and therefore your membership hasn't actually paid for everything themselves. Stadiums anyone? I'm against giving people money for hobbies like cycling and yachting, as income, but not against the government encouraging those activities by providing facilities etc.

The FFA or football federation has been siphoning money away from the matildas and underpaying them, despite them being more successful and being entertaining. Here is an idea, if the women get a decent wage, then they don't have to have jobs to go to and can train more, then the quality improves. If women get paid more, more women will try out for teams, and the quality improves. If it is a viable job proposition, then the sport goes professional, the quality improves. and so it goes, more viewers, more sponsorship.

Most of the money comes from the broadcast rights, and at least of the games per round will be broadcast, therefore the ladies should get more money than they are being offered. It's not too hard to think about. except if you just plain can't relate to females and hate women's sport because of other issues. Just don't watch it. It's not your money that's being used.
And they have already proven that they are more entertaining than watching essendon.

Well said...I agree.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby twistedkelly on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:Yeah, i think that the AFL and therefore your membership hasn't actually paid for everything themselves. Stadiums anyone? I'm against giving people money for hobbies like cycling and yachting, as income, but not against the government encouraging those activities by providing facilities etc.

Id like you justify that statement. I don't think may people have seen the matildas play other than Olympics and highlights on slow news days.

What ill be interested to see is how the womens sides go about filling stadiums, when mens sides run at a loss at Etihad with atendances sub 30k the womens teams could be blowing any TV revenue playing at big stadia
twistedkelly
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:28 am

I personally think the minimum needs to be upped a bit. Not by a massive amount, but expecting someone the compete at the highest level for less than a grand a game... it's a bit of a joke. I'm pretty sure Fev was doing his tour of Australia for more than what the base is.

I however don't think they should be on the sort of coin the AFL players are. To start with it is an 8 week maximum season, which is roughly a third of a proper season. Then you add into it there is next to no established fan bases, a few once of exhibition games. The revenue isn't there to warrant them having 6 figure contracts, but yes they do need to offer a decent amount of money if they expect a decent competition. If they looked at something like 1k for every week they were going, including pre-seasons so making it roughly 12 weeks ( think its a maximum of 8 games, then look at 4 weeks pre-season) and minimum contracts of 12k, that would be pretty fair. I'd be happy to do that for a quarter of the year!
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:55 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:I personally think the minimum needs to be upped a bit. Not by a massive amount, but expecting someone the compete at the highest level for less than a grand a game... it's a bit of a joke. I'm pretty sure Fev was doing his tour of Australia for more than what the base is.

I however don't think they should be on the sort of coin the AFL players are. To start with it is an 8 week maximum season, which is roughly a third of a proper season. Then you add into it there is next to no established fan bases, a few once of exhibition games. The revenue isn't there to warrant them having 6 figure contracts, but yes they do need to offer a decent amount of money if they expect a decent competition. If they looked at something like 1k for every week they were going, including pre-seasons so making it roughly 12 weeks ( think its a maximum of 8 games, then look at 4 weeks pre-season) and minimum contracts of 12k, that would be pretty fair. I'd be happy to do that for a quarter of the year!

You would expect 12 to be closer to the minimum than 5. No one is going to take much time off work for less. Given it's a short season it is hard to put a value on it. You want people to play without having to worry too much about work on Monday. Recovery time and all that. How much revenue is each game worth? It's a fair amount per ad, $100 k?
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby hendo1963 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 am

WCE06 wrote:Get them playing in bra's and knickers

Shirts v skins.
hendo1963
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Anyone watching. I watched about 5mins of the 3rd quarter. Good on them for living their dream but I fear it will just be a novelty once the interest dies down.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:21 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Anyone watching. I watched about 5mins of the 3rd quarter. Good on them for living their dream but I fear it will just be a novelty once the interest dies down.

Watched about half of all the 4 games. It's pretty much as I expected... low scoring and skills were poor. Can't fault them for having a go.

I think the hyperbole over the standard of the games and crowds was getting borderline ridiculous though. It's almost as if people (men in particular.. especially those in the media) were all trying to out virtue signal each other. Talking about how great the games were... to signal to everyone how non-misogynistic they are. End of the day it wasn't great to watch.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Total Package wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Anyone watching. I watched about 5mins of the 3rd quarter. Good on them for living their dream but I fear it will just be a novelty once the interest dies down.

Watched about half of all the 4 games. It's pretty much as I expected... low scoring and skills were poor. Can't fault them for having a go.

I think the hyperbole over the standard of the games and crowds was getting borderline ridiculous though. It's almost as if people (men in particular.. especially those in the media) were all trying to out virtue signal each other. Talking about how great the games were... to signal to everyone how non-misogynistic they are. End of the day it wasn't great to watch.

Seems Neelima noticed that Eddie wasnt around..
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/eddie-eve ... u5gdi.html
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:27 am

Total Package wrote:Watched about half of all the 4 games. It's pretty much as I expected... low scoring and skills were poor. Can't fault them for having a go.

Of course the standard would be lower. Let's be honest - every AFLW player was playing either a different sport, or at an amateur level last year. A level that would have had less professional training behind it than the average WAFL colts or TAC Cup competition - or even the elite schoolboys comps. These are a bunch of players who've not had the backup of years of training and development - a single abbreviated off season is hardly equivalent to a fully professional competition that's been running for decades.

If you're going to do this, you have to start somewhere. If the resources keep being put into this competition (and importantly into feeder comps), then the standard will improve.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:28 pm

These games have been quite congested and I have liked some of it but it is lacking the spectacle from last years exhibition game. I think it is going to take a while to get the number of decent players required to make a full league of it. That said, i liked Melbournes game against collingwood and don't mind watching them. Also Tayla Harris and the Lions are good to watch as well.

Most likely with 3 games to go it will be a Brisbane/Adelaide final. Whoever wins next weeks game between them will be 5/5 and nearly impossible to knock out of top 2. Some of you will be happy to know that it is impossible for fremantle, being winless to make the finals. Likewise with GWS. it is only mathematically possible for the Pies or Bulldogs to make finals, but the bulldogs can ruin Carlton's chances if they beat them this week. Melbourne will need to beat Adelaide in round 6 to have any chance of making the final. But it does look like, after 4 rounds the top 2 and therefore finals teams have been decided. I suspect the AFL is planning an adelaide oval affiar.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to AFLW