West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

AFL Womens League

The AFL Women's league

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:34 pm

I really enjoyed this game. Having it played with 16-a-side kept the game a nice clean flowing uncongested game as well; the way Aussie Rules should look.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Clearly there is huge pressure on each new CEO to come up with a stupider idea than his predecessor.

Not to mention the f-wit introduced a universally hated bye just to give this game a platform. So like a million other footy starved plebs I tuned in and confirmed F grade amateurs could have put on a better show. A huge financial drain coming up, diverting money from grassroots. The girls wont ever make money is such a constrained market.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:38 pm

WCE06 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Clearly there is huge pressure on each new CEO to come up with a stupider idea than his predecessor.

Not to mention the f-wit introduced a universally hated bye just to give this game a platform. So like a million other footy starved plebs I tuned in and confirmed F grade amateurs could have put on a better show. A huge financial drain coming up, diverting money from grassroots. The girls wont ever make money is such a constrained market.

i didnt even know it was on.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Total Package on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:55 pm

I must have watched a different game to everyone else. I found the woman's game cringe worthy to be honest. It was like watching Under 11's Auskick skills... with Under 15's boys physicality.

I guess it's only a matter of time before they start asking for "equal pay" even though they will be a financial drain on the AFL.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:23 pm

WCE06 wrote:A huge financial drain coming up, diverting money from grassroots. The girls wont ever make money is such a constrained market.

Very cleaver long term move by the AFL and very well timed. Women's rugby sevens has the Olympic spotlight, it and soccer could have been set to boom but no the AFL is heading them off at the pass.

It's a limited season so I reckon they have plenty of opportunity to find their own market plus they will not need that much money to break even anyway as they will only be playing as semi amateur / part time professionals for a long time to come. No doubt some will play a summer sport at top level as well. In the long term the AFL is making sure it stays the dominant game in the land. It ensures as many women as possible in the future maintain an interest in Aussie Rules by having a stronger association with it, including childhood association; just like many men they will have once played it themselves. Also all those future soccer Mums who might have been scarred of their baby getting hurt playing AFL will be able to see it's not that rough after all because even girls play it - or they played it themselves when they were younger so why not their boy?
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Tagger24 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:50 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
WCE06 wrote:A huge financial drain coming up, diverting money from grassroots. The girls wont ever make money is such a constrained market.

Very cleaver long term move by the AFL and very well timed. Women's rugby sevens has the Olympic spotlight, it and soccer could have been set to boom but no the AFL is heading them off at the pass.

It's a limited season so I reckon they have plenty of opportunity to find their own market plus they will not need that much money to break even anyway as they will only be playing as semi amateur / part time professionals for a long time to come. No doubt some will play a summer sport at top level as well. In the long term the AFL is making sure it stays the dominant game in the land. It ensures as many women as possible in the future maintain an interest in Aussie Rules by having a stronger association with it, including childhood association; just like many men they will have once played it themselves. Also all those future soccer Mums who might have been scarred of their baby getting hurt playing AFL will be able to see it's not that rough after all because even girls play it - or they played it themselves when they were younger so why not their boy?

Creepy, I was going to write an almost identical post. Precisely my thoughts. The AFL has the resources to put into this and, long-term, will ensure strong support for the league and game. The people whinging and moaning about it being a drain on resources are simply being short-sighted.
Tagger24
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:04 am

Tagger24 wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:

Creepy, I was going to write an almost identical post. Precisely my thoughts. The AFL has the resources to put into this and, long-term, will ensure strong support for the league and game. The people whinging and moaning about it being a drain on resources are simply being short-sighted.

Sorry but simply do not agree. There is not an example anywhere in the world of a female based sporting competition that is entering a male dominated sport... which has made money and is sustainable without being propped up financially by the male sport. In fact most of them fail (Look at the Women's soccer league in the US... its failed twice already.. maybe even 3 times)

The WNBA is a prime example. Been around for 20 years now and still leaking money like a sieve... and these women in the WNBA had way more exposure than a Woman's AFL league ever will. They are kept on life support by the NBA throwing good money after bad at it... all in the name of political correctness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/sport ... .html?_r=0

I also don't buy into this thought that its about keeping females in the game for the future... that has and never will be a problem with AFL. 40% of AFL supporters that go to games are female and I don't see that changing any time soon. I don't think by seeing females on a football field that will suddenly make them thing its a nice safe game for little johnny to play.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:43 am

I'm not sold on the financial viability either.
But I also truly believe that it is a worthwhile venture so I support it.
Just as the WNBA costs relatively peanuts for the NBA, the women's AFL won't be a big financial burden on the AFL either. And don't think that there won't be companies keen on sponsoring it. It's good PR.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby sydney eagle on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 am

Not directly related but I read that some AFL clubs (Collingwood ?, possibly others) are sponsoring/backing netball clubs. Are the Eagles involved with the West Coast team (The Fever I think it is )? If not , should they try to get involved with another women's sport having missed out on the AFL Women's league ?
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:03 am

sydney eagle wrote:Not directly related but I read that some AFL clubs (Collingwood ?, possibly others) are sponsoring/backing netball clubs. Are the Eagles involved with the West Coast team (The Fever I think it is )? If not , should they try to get involved with another women's sport having missed out on the AFL Women's league ?

I believe that should the AFL Women's league be successful in 2017 then other clubs will be able to form teams.

Not sure how they'd go about getting players though once the initial teams have taken all the best players.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE06 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:41 am

I'm prepared to help this league by offering post game massages for free.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:25 pm

The league is bound to be a success.... when they are pulling out netballers that have never kicked a footy in their lives to play in a "professional league". Quality should be outstanding!
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 pm

What a surprise GWS got the #1 draft pick. Brisbane got #2 and Carlton #3.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Total Package wrote:I guess it's only a matter of time before they start asking for "equal pay" even though they will be a financial drain on the AFL.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 3ce8d0d9db

I'll be honest.... I expected them to have actually played their 1st game before deciding to play the "SEXIST!!!" card... and demand more money... but these kinds of people never cease to amaze me.

These bunch of amateurs... some of who are netballers that have never kicked a football before... are already asking for a pay rise... without having kicked a single ball in anger... or a single draft even being held... for what is basically "up to a 9 week season".
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Obviously trying to top the catastrophic disasters of GC & GWS is a hard one, but Gilligan could be onto a winner here.

If Nesbith really wants the big chair some day, he should start drawing up plans for the "Fat Old Transgender League" now.

A wimin's AFL league makes so little sense in so many ways, its breathtaking. I barely know where to begin.

The fact that the AFL, and some clubs, have money to burn is NOT a good reason.
Ultimately professional sport is entertainment. People like to watch it, they bring in the money to fund the league.
Its why those with great tans and nice butts can make a killing playing beach-volleyball. Professional Curlers not so much.

It's not like this is in any way really about promoting female participation in sport.

There is a huge problem with organisations that think they need to continuously "expand". They keep expanding in more and more marginal ways. What they should do is concentrate on running their core-business as well as possible.

So you don't believe women should have a national AFL competition? Womens leagues have really been gaining momentum and I think there probably is a push towards needing to have a national level. It isn't like it is going to be mirroring the AFL season where they play 22 games, they are only playing 6 game seasons with 2 weeks of finals.

The female soccer league has been kicking on alright too and has given a lot of young girls sporting role models that they can look up to and try to emulate, rather than being stuck in the "if you wanna be an athlete, heres some joggers, go learn track and field, or here's a swim suit, go swim some laps" (or yes there is the beach volleyball scene where they end up just being looked at by guys like you for their tans and their butt.)

I think its good, especially as they wouldn't want to be losing even more ground to soccer.

The point about beach-bunny ball is that it is now huge, and financially lucrative, yet as a sporting spectacle it is crap, and not a patch on the original. But lots of people watch it, most of whom probably don't even know about the original.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, only that professional sport is entertainment. People think they get paid money for being good at something, but ultimately its for entertaining people. You can be the best Lawn Bowler or Archer in the world, and you won't make a cracker.

My point is simply that if ladies want to play footy, then good luck to them, have fun. But expecting to be PAID for it, out of money illegitimately syphoned off from the AFL is not ok.
Put simply, if the AFL stopped wasting it's TV revenue on useless crap, and actually paid a decent share to the clubs, then the Eagles could support the WAFC without me needing a 3rd mortgage to buy my membership in the new stadium.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to AFLW