Advanced  

Latest Result

Round 21 Adelaide Oval
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 • 14:35 WST
West Coast Port Adelaide
9.8 (62) 9.4 (58)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 22 Perth Stadium
Sun, 19 Aug 2018 • 13:20 WST
West Coast v Melbourne
Game Focus



AFL Womens League

The AFL Women's league

Moderators: Mr Q, DALBY

AFL Womens League

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Been very minimal talk of this. Obviously we got overlooked and a few on here have been happy about that as it does look like being rather unprofitable.

But watching the pre-game show for the friday night game, they were interviewing one of the stars of the womens league and talking about father daughter/mother daughter rule and how there is also talk of a mother son rule becoming a thing. Now I don't mind this provided they make it so that the rules are pretty stringent, still got to be bid on and the mother has to have played the equivalent of about 4 seasons for their respective team (considering it is a 6week comp with 2 finals, then maybe something like 25 games)

I'm not sure how fair it is on the teams who missed out on a team, but I guess with the bidding system it does make it possible to still get the kid (look at bullies and Dunkley)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:05 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:Been very minimal talk of this. Obviously we got overlooked and a few on here have been happy about that as it does look like being rather unprofitable.


I'm in the other camp. I would have liked to have a side I could follow in the Women's League. Footy in general is raking it in, the Eagles are doing well financially, and I doubt there are going to be too many multi-million dollar salaries in the Women's AFL (presumably not abbreviated as WAFL, and surely they wouldn't go with AWFL :-P )
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:Been very minimal talk of this. Obviously we got overlooked and a few on here have been happy about that as it does look like being rather unprofitable.


I'm in the other camp. I would have liked to have a side I could follow in the Women's League. Footy in general is raking it in, the Eagles are doing well financially, and I doubt there are going to be too many multi-million dollar salaries in the Women's AFL (presumably not abbreviated as WAFL, and surely they wouldn't go with AWFL :-P )


Would be interesting to see what they abbreviate it to. Perhaps they go with the "W League" ?

I'd have liked us to get a team too and it isn't like we couldn't afford one. Would be a bit different if we were struggling financially but we aren't so it would have been nice to see our money spent on something that helps us be a part of something innovative and new. Plus it would open the door to the mother son option :lol:
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Clearly there is huge pressure on each new CEO to come up with a stupider idea than his predecessor.
Obviously trying to top the catastrophic disasters of GC & GWS is a hard one, but Gilligan could be onto a winner here.

If Nesbith really wants the big chair some day, he should start drawing up plans for the "Fat Old Transgender League" now.

A wimin's AFL league makes so little sense in so many ways, its breathtaking. I barely know where to begin.

The fact that the AFL, and some clubs, have money to burn is NOT a good reason.
Ultimately professional sport is entertainment. People like to watch it, they bring in the money to fund the league.
Its why those with great tans and nice butts can make a killing playing beach-volleyball. Professional Curlers not so much.

It's not like this is in any way really about promoting female participation in sport.

There is a huge problem with organisations that think they need to continuously "expand". They keep expanding in more and more marginal ways. What they should do is concentrate on running their core-business as well as possible.
User avatar
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Doing The Eagle Rock

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:11 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Clearly there is huge pressure on each new CEO to come up with a stupider idea than his predecessor.
Obviously trying to top the catastrophic disasters of GC & GWS is a hard one, but Gilligan could be onto a winner here.

If Nesbith really wants the big chair some day, he should start drawing up plans for the "Fat Old Transgender League" now.

A wimin's AFL league makes so little sense in so many ways, its breathtaking. I barely know where to begin.

The fact that the AFL, and some clubs, have money to burn is NOT a good reason.
Ultimately professional sport is entertainment. People like to watch it, they bring in the money to fund the league.
Its why those with great tans and nice butts can make a killing playing beach-volleyball. Professional Curlers not so much.

It's not like this is in any way really about promoting female participation in sport.

There is a huge problem with organisations that think they need to continuously "expand". They keep expanding in more and more marginal ways. What they should do is concentrate on running their core-business as well as possible.


So you don't believe women should have a national AFL competition? Womens leagues have really been gaining momentum and I think there probably is a push towards needing to have a national level. It isn't like it is going to be mirroring the AFL season where they play 22 games, they are only playing 6 game seasons with 2 weeks of finals.

The female soccer league has been kicking on alright too and has given a lot of young girls sporting role models that they can look up to and try to emulate, rather than being stuck in the "if you wanna be an athlete, heres some joggers, go learn track and field, or here's a swim suit, go swim some laps" (or yes there is the beach volleyball scene where they end up just being looked at by guys like you for their tans and their butt.)

I think its good, especially as they wouldn't want to be losing even more ground to soccer.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby sydney eagle on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:44 am

Well the Dockers got the nod as the women's team in W A. Still I hope that Foxtel shows women"s games next year; from the ones i have seen I think they will be worth watching.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: sydney australia

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:29 am

A national womens team is a good idea, but I'm not in favour of a father-daughter / mother-son rule. Starting to become a bit PC ridiculous now. Treat them as separate competitions.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Mr Q on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:36 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:A national womens team is a good idea, but I'm not in favour of a father-daughter / mother-son rule. Starting to become a bit PC ridiculous now. Treat them as separate competitions.


The father/daughter or mother/son rules could only apply if all clubs in the league had teams (or at least the option for teams). Otherwise it would be a bit unfair on those that don't.

Based on what I read, if the league goes OK, the clubs that didn't get teams this time around would likely get them in 2018.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:48 am

Mr Q wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:A national womens team is a good idea, but I'm not in favour of a father-daughter / mother-son rule. Starting to become a bit PC ridiculous now. Treat them as separate competitions.


The father/daughter or mother/son rules could only apply if all clubs in the league had teams (or at least the option for teams). Otherwise it would be a bit unfair on those that don't.

Based on what I read, if the league goes OK, the clubs that didn't get teams this time around would likely get them in 2018.


Mother/son rule I agree with you on. But also the bidding system means that it doesn't totally rule that player out (and so long as there is about a 25 game qualification Im fine with it)

The father daughter rule is good for the womens league. It can make that team actually seem like it is tied with the team they are tied to in the AFL. I also like their qualification, at the moment of only needing to have played 1 game for a team to qualify. Womens AFL hasn't been a viable option until just recently so there would be very few women who actually thought they could emulate their fathers and play footy, so any that have a father that have played for their AFL equivalent should be allowed for now (but in say 10 years time if the league is going strong, then look at bringing in higher qualifications)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby sydney eagle on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:08 am

From memory if the Eagles had the women's team wouldn't we have a bunch of ex players daughters eligible under a "father/daughter" rule ?
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: sydney australia

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:38 pm

sydney eagle wrote:From memory if the Eagles had the women's team wouldn't we have a bunch of ex players daughters eligible under a "father/daughter" rule ?


Not sure how many daughters are playing in the current top level at the moment, but would have to think that there would be a lot of daughters who would have been eligible to play for a West Coast Eagles womens team, probably even more so in 15 years time as there have been a lot of girls produced by our players lately hasn't there?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby sydney eagle on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
sydney eagle wrote:From memory if the Eagles had the women's team wouldn't we have a bunch of ex players daughters eligible under a "father/daughter" rule ?


Not sure how many daughters are playing in the current top level at the moment, but would have to think that there would be a lot of daughters who would have been eligible to play for a West Coast Eagles womens team, probably even more so in 15 years time as there have been a lot of girls produced by our players lately hasn't there?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Doesn't John Worsfold have daughters ?
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: sydney australia

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:02 pm

sydney eagle wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:
sydney eagle wrote:From memory if the Eagles had the women's team wouldn't we have a bunch of ex players daughters eligible under a "father/daughter" rule ?


Not sure how many daughters are playing in the current top level at the moment, but would have to think that there would be a lot of daughters who would have been eligible to play for a West Coast Eagles womens team, probably even more so in 15 years time as there have been a lot of girls produced by our players lately hasn't there?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Doesn't John Worsfold have daughters ?


Quick google search says he has 2 girls and a son.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Bigbav on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:30 pm

The Women's game at Whitten Oval tonight was all class.

I'm a **mild mysoginist in certain aspects due to my upbringing, but tonight's event goes a long way in rectifying this.

Fuckin' awesome. Bring on the season proper ladies!


**ex Navy from a military family
1987 Sponsor of Laurie Keene
User avatar
Bigbav
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Gero

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby DALBY on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:59 am

I'm all for it too. I wish some males would stop treating women like they are inferior too. If footy makes them happy, I say go for it. I hope the female league succeeds.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Next

Return to AFLW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron