West Coast v Melbourne
Game Focus

Round 6 - Western Derby

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 6 - Western Derby

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 am

Our mids can shut down freo's mids with intent, pressure, two way running and efficient forward 50 entries (no long bombs).

Its like wce v sydney 05-07, except they shuey is on the other foot.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-22/a ... ir-hand-up
Teenage speedster Jack Petruccelle bagged four goals in East Perth's big win.

Talented midfielder Brayden Ainsworth was influential, picking up 23 disposals (18 kicks, five handballs), while Jarrod Brander - Pick 13 in the last year's NAB AFL Draft – had 18 touches (11 kicks, seven handballs) and kicked two goals.

Matthew Allen and rookie Fraser McInnes both booted two goals, the latter also with 46 hit outs.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 am

There should some interesting selections this week. I agree, we want quicker guys in the forward line that can apply pressure as well as kick straight. This will be another tough game. Freo won't be easy.
Last edited by DALBY on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby farmer joe on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Someone has to stop Fyfe and someone needs to stop Bailey Banfield from shutting Shuey down. If we do that we will win.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 pm

farmer joe wrote:Someone has to stop Fyfe and someone needs to stop Bailey Banfield from shutting Shuey down. If we do that we will win.

I think they are more likely to go after Gaff.

Heard a great one from a Muppet supporter today. We are only on top of the ladder because we have only beaten those below us.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Our mids can shut down freo's mids with intent, pressure, two way running and efficient forward 50 entries (no long bombs).

Its like wce v sydney 05-07, except they shuey is on the other foot.

Yes, the long bombs are frustrating but they are indicative of a lack of speed getting the ball forward (usually off half back unless switched to the Fat Side :D )

We have to create space for JK to lead into. I expect that a lot of work will be put into minimising McGovern's influence. He almost single handedly repelled their forward thrusts last time.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 pm

farmer joe wrote:Someone has to stop Fyfe and someone needs to stop Bailey Banfield from shutting Shuey down. If we do that we will win.

I agree with that, but we have to be careful of Neale. He often gets under our guard.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:47 pm

Just heard on ch 10 - Freo are not doing the Glendinning medal or the Western Derby Trophy after the game - win or lose.

The thing that really pisses me off about that? We didn't beat them to it!

I hate that irrelevant, stupid-arsed shit. Good riddance!
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby lazzas on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:31 pm

jourgo wrote:Just heard on ch 10 - Freo are not doing the Glendinning medal or the Western Derby Trophy after the game - win or lose.

The thing that really pisses me off about that? We didn't beat them to it!

I hate that irrelevant, stupid-arsed shit. Good riddance!
Simmo said Eagles will present a medal anyway but it will only be an Eagles one.
lazzas
Regular

Postby ruckroving on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:33 pm

It's the sponsorship thing, isn't it? Like calling the stadium Optus. They all want their pound of flesh.

And I can't understand why some news reports still refer to Subiaco Oval as 'Domain'. Domain aren't paying money anymore, so it reverts back to Subiaco. And I hope we taxpayers won't be asked to pay to change all those road signs that point to 'Optus Stadium' when the sponsorship eventually runs out. At least Transperth still refer to it as Perth Stadium, They obviously are not getting paid to advertise Optus.
ruckroving
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am

Maybe we can rename it the shawn mcmanus - shane parker medal.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bodhi on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 am

Nothing really to add as all has been said and i agree, DANGER GAME! Having said that it will hopefully be a cracker and we win by a point with a kick after the siren :lol: I picked Freo for the G.F at the beginning of the season and this could be a precursor to the one every West Aussie (i think anyway) hopes for...finally... A West Coast/ Freo Grandy. Wouldn't that piss off the Vics :twisted:
Bodhi
Regular

Postby Mead on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 am

Amused to see freo getting hammered for trashing the Ross Glendinning medal for obviously partisan reasons- it's such a petty, insecure decision to have made.

Ross' association with West Coast is such a tiny part of his standing in the game- he was a WA brownlow medallist at another club, hall of famer, coach of state of origin and a key figure and trailblazer in the WA struggle to break into the VFL at all. He never played a game against freo, and I've never heard anyone involved in WA football have a bad word about him.

They can call it whatever they want but what are they afraid of exactly. Would have no issues with it being the Cousins-Fyfe medal once Nat retires and chops off that ridiculous ponytail, but for now I don't really see a preferable alternative to Glendinning- although I do like the sound of the Trent Carroll Medal for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Football.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

Mead wrote:Amused to see freo getting hammered for trashing the Ross Glendinning medal for obviously partisan reasons- it's such a petty, insecure decision to have made.

Ross' association with West Coast is such a tiny part of his standing in the game- he was a WA brownlow medallist at another club, hall of famer, coach of state of origin and a key figure and trailblazer in the WA struggle to break into the VFL at all. He never played a game against freo, and I've never heard anyone involved in WA football have a bad word about him.

They can call it whatever they want but what are they afraid of exactly. Would have no issues with it being the Cousins-Fyfe medal once Nat retires and chops off that ridiculous ponytail, but for now I don't really see a preferable alternative to Glendinning- although I do like the sound of the Trent Carroll Medal for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Football.

No one complains that the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Colemon are named after players that don't have ties to every club. They are just having a sooky, sooky because none of their players has won it for a while.

They also dumped the derby trophy, and the joint press conference as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if we bring it back for our home game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-24/i ... -round-six
Get them in: Jack Petruccelle booted four goals for East Perth and has the legspeed (he ran the quickest 20m sprint at the NAB AFL Draft Combine) to play Daniel Venables' role across half-forward. Could last year's 39th pick debut in the derby?

Under the pump: Team balance hasn't worked in Mark Hutchings' favour this season and he might be on the outer again if Adam Simpson brings in more pace.

Medical room: The Eagles will want Lewis Jetta back to provide some dash and elite kicking from half-back after missing the Carlton win due to general soreness.

Verdict: Jetta should be back, probably for Hutchings, but do the Eagles need more pace to combat Freo's runners at Optus Stadium? - Travis King
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/public ... 5510010001

Love the Fyfe one.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/glendi ... b88816154z

Freo has admitted the real reason they trashed the medal.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles