11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 5: Eagles vs Carlton

Postby Mead on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Solid 'taking care of business' win. Will take that result every day of the week.

Scoreline flattered Carlton given our poor kicking on goal. I thought the team, which still contains a lot of inexperienced players, did very well to maintain focus and intensity for four quarters against opposition who were trying their hearts out.

That free kick against Hurn was one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen on a football field- just goes to show how late in a game with a crowd behind them and a narrative to satisfy, umpires will literally start to hallucinate.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Terrible game, but I'll take it.

JK looks a mess. Kicking is off, dropping marks, even his leading is off. If Ryan hadn't gone down JK wouldn't be in the team. He still looks very underdone.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:36 pm

jourgo wrote:Not sure how much more of this commentary I can take.

Eddie McGuire is a 100% pure and unadulterated cock. He should not be allowed within 100 metres of a commentary box. Ever. His pro-victorian bias is astounding. The good commentators call the game for everyone. EM calls it for his viewpoint audience.

As for the game. We were really un-clean. Mark after mark. We made it to the contest or position, got the decent grab at it, then dropped it. All game. All players. And you should never have 10 more scoring shots and scrape home.

Rioli does so much that is team orientated such as knocks to advantage when he can't take possession. BUT... he really gets goal blind with ball in hand and a bit of time. Two minutes to go and Darling clear 10 metres out - you pass it to him. Effectively cost us a goal and set it up for Carlton to get two quick ones.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:51 pm

I disagree.Willie was in the clear and had time to steady - his only blue is he should have slotted it. Chipping to Darling just leaves more room for fuck ups.

Let me set the scene here. Grand Final, playing Collingwood, we’re down by five goals. I think you [Greg Williams]s know what happened.
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:54 pm

The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Bodhi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Pinion King wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88813373z

that is funny but let me assure you, as a Victorian resident supporting W.C i get Eddy nearly 24/7. They really cannot forgive us for taking away the Cup for the first time in "92". I drove through Geelong that night with W.C streamers on my car and they threw rocks at me, what a hoot. Geelong had huge screens up to replay the win throughout the night but they remained blank for obvious reasons. Ahhh fun times. But, back to the game, happy to walk away with the win but i really do not know what is up with the MCG hoodoo? Carlton were good tonight and we were average (MCG blues?) but we won and hopefully that gets the monkey off the back.
Bodhi
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Bodhi wrote:But, back to the game, happy to walk away with the win but i really do not know what is up with the MCG hoodoo? Carlton were good tonight and we were average (MCG blues?) but we won and hopefully that gets the monkey off the back.

It's mental.

Everyone talks about the fact we struggle there and a hoodoo that it gets in the back of the players' minds. 2005/2006 no one said anything about hoodoo's and we played the ground very well.

I bet if there wasn't a single word about us playing there we would play 10 times better.

It didn't help today with our shots on goal. Turn the goals and points around and we absolutely belted them.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Holy crap, we could very well walk away from this round top of the ladder!
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Hutchings and Nelson are at the moment the most marginal performers.

While none of JK, Darling, Waterman or Lycett deserve to be dropped, we just cant run with all 4 + NN. When we have the tall forward line we revert to long bomb bullshit. Win at home and away against two of the bottom teams not a true indication of workability.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Hutchings and Nelson are at the moment the most marginal performers.

While none of JK, Darling, Waterman or Lycett deserve to be dropped, we just cant run with all 4 + NN. When we have the tall forward line we revert to long bomb bullshit. Win at home and away against two of the bottom teams not a true indication of workability.

Simpson said in his presser that we looked slow, and Jetta our didn't help that

I suspect waterman might get a rest this week - wasn't his best game. Like to see petreccelle get a game after kicking 4 today, but only if his pressure is up to scratch
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 pm

After listening to the game, I concluded there was two teams playing, but no one knew who the ones with yellow on their jumpers were.

I think the commentators took their guide from how Australian TV commentators the Olympics
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm

CouchPotato wrote:I suspect waterman might get a rest this week - wasn't his best game.

5 weeks + all pre-season games. He might be feeling it.

He doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he is only 19 with pretty much 1 pre-season under him. His body will be feeling it.

Hell JK should be dropped and sent back to EP to get his mojo back, but he is JK and that won't happen.

Mind you a lot of players were down this week.

Freo is a quick team, so we need to match speed with speed.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Yeah their speed concerns me too. Especially if Brad Hill comes back into the side.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Deroadster on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Our zone defence doesn’t work on the mcg. Too wide, and when we look tired it doesn’t work anywhere.
Too easy for opposition to cut us up with uncontested footy. Which happened today with a shit Carlton.
Reality is coming for the eagles. Venables and Ryan are big injuries for our team.
Deroadster
Regular

Postby lazzas on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 am

FXD wrote:I disagree.Willie was in the clear and had time to steady - his only blue is he should have slotted it. Chipping to Darling just leaves more room for fuck ups.

I think he should of had the shot for sure however was in two minds because of the criticism he got over not passing to Lecca the other week.
lazzas
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles