Game Focus

Round 3 WCE v GEELONG

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 3 WCE v GEELONG

Postby Bigbird on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 pm

ruckroving wrote:
If they don't have the tech to give far more accurate reviews (and it is a mystery to me why they don't) they should just chuck the whole thing and go back to Umpires call.

They will never have completely foolproof technical facilities to make every decision cut and dried. The camera on the goal line can show if a ball that is known to be clearly touched had cleared the line before or after contact. It cannot show with certainty if a lone finger touched it or not, and time is wasted looking.

The long review about whether the ball had been touched by McGovern on the mark was never going end well. The cameras are far too wide in that situation. Detail like a finger touching will never be seen. It's waste just a waste of time.

I wonder if the rule should be changed to make a touched ball still be called a goal. It would save a lot of time.

There are times when a video replay can help confirm whether a ball was touched. Watching in slow mo or frame by frame you do often see either a bent finger or clear ball deviation to indicate it was touched. This for me is the only time a field umpire's "goal" call should be overturned for touched balls. Anything else is too grey. Have a quick look, if not clear, stick with the field umpire's call.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

ruckroving wrote:
If they don't have the tech to give far more accurate reviews (and it is a mystery to me why they don't) they should just chuck the whole thing and go back to Umpires call.

They will never have completely foolproof technical facilities to make every decision cut and dried. The camera on the goal line can show if a ball that is known to be clearly touched had cleared the line before or after contact. It cannot show with certainty if a lone finger touched it or not, and time is wasted looking.

The long review about whether the ball had been touched by McGovern on the mark was never going end well. The cameras are far too wide in that situation. Detail like a finger touching will never be seen. It's waste just a waste of time.

I wonder if the rule should be changed to make a touched ball still be called a goal. It would save a lot of time.

Its an interesting one. Our game really is the only one where there is this emphasis on the ball not being touched by another player. Would be an interesting change to the rules and would it be limited to just goals or would we adapt it to marking contests. Now that would make defenders really change their tact, if they could possibly thump it away, but still have a mark claimed by a rover...

I can't see either rule ever being changed as they will just campaign that it is our unique rules and we shouldn't conform to other games.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby FXD on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:49 pm

They need better camera tech - high resolution, high frame-rate cameras. At the moment they have garbage which produces a blur.
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles