R1 : WCE vs Syd : Perth Stadium : Sun Mar 25th 4.40pm WST

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: R1 : WCE vs Syd : Perth Stadium : Sun Mar 25th 4.40pm WS

Postby Pinion King on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Pinion King wrote:
gus3232 wrote:So, did anyone join in "the huddle". Not a single person around me was doing it.

Pretty much everyone on North wing level 5 was.

Don't see the point in it

Considering how much a point they made the huddle in the lead up with their little video, I was surprised how little they actually made it. A brief and overall rather quiet " now lets all stand for the huddle" really didn't inspire anything. Nor make it seem worthwhile. Perhaps a bit of hype in the ground presenter to start with might have helped, but also maybe including a " gooo Eagles" or encouraging some sort of act that would create a noise might also have enhanced it. Overall I think even the announcer felt embarrassed asking people to stand for the huddle.

I was half expecting the National Anthem to play.

If a big Eeeaagggllleeesss chant had started, now that would make a statement.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 pm

WCE06 wrote:Its astonishing how influential NicNat was and i dont just mean his ruckwork. He is a superstar.

Yep. Agreed and I have been one that has in the past questioned his influence on big games. He was awesome and I was glad I was there to see it. Also hats off to LeCras for obviously having a big preseason and the impact he had. Pity the goal was disallowed.
Schofield is cooked, Tommy B got a lesson and Gov had an ordinary game. Was impressed with Ryan and Waterman and I love Yeo and Shuey. Darling held his feet better and had a crack. Venables will get better. Also liked the way the team stood up for itself and each other.
I have to say though. I have been lucky enough to see some of the very best play the game. Buddy was at the top his game yesterday and, whilst I hated him at the time, I will remember his game for a long time. He really is one of the true greats. I went with a non AFL person who said "that big guy struts like his poop doesn't stink". I replied that right at the moment it probably doesn't.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Pinion King wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Pretty much everyone on North wing level 5 was.

Don't see the point in it

Considering how much a point they made the huddle in the lead up with their little video, I was surprised how little they actually made it. A brief and overall rather quiet " now lets all stand for the huddle" really didn't inspire anything. Nor make it seem worthwhile. Perhaps a bit of hype in the ground presenter to start with might have helped, but also maybe including a " gooo Eagles" or encouraging some sort of act that would create a noise might also have enhanced it. Overall I think even the announcer felt embarrassed asking people to stand for the huddle.

I was half expecting the National Anthem to play.

If a big Eeeaagggllleeesss chant had started, now that would make a statement.

Agreed. Well anything would have been better than what they attempted yesterday. They wanted to make it a fierce and intimidating arena to start the game, but it hnestly made the whole crowd tamer. Even crowd noise thru the loud speaker would have been better!
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm

My 2 cents worth.

Best: Hurn, Yeo, NN, LeCras,Shuey, Sheed
Need to improve: Nelson, McGovern (by his standards), Cripps, Venambles, Jetta, Redden

Bit harsh on Venambles, and that pick up gave us a glimpse of what he can do, but we cant have midfielders with under 10 possessions. We can't carry players with this team.

I actually thought Schofield was ok.
Masten was ok and very unlucky with the umpires.

If you play one ruckmen, then Lycett should get his EP jumper in the wash quick smart. NN, once fit, was just so much more classier. His taps and movement once he hits the ground after jumping for the ball are the best I've ever seen.

Thought Sheed was good. I've never seen him kick on his right and he hit someone 40m away lace out. Almost fell off my chair.

Ryan - when watching the replay he did more than I thought at the ground.

Waterman - give him until Kennedy comes back. If he is not contributing then he can wait for another opportunity.

Buddy. That's the best I've seen him play. He was dangerous all day, kicked goals from everywhere and went in extremely hard. Pleasure to watch.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:06 pm

It was Venables and Watermans first AFL game. They are not going to come out and rack up 50 touches and 10 goals.

This year is about giving the young kids a run and get them ready. Dropping them and then playing the same team we played last year is just plain stupid.

They aren't going to get better and get more than 10 touches if they don't get an opportunity to do it.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 pm

MrWoollie wrote:I have not shouted at the TV, abusing umpires like that in years.

Three decisions killed us in the end.

Le Cras soccer goal disallowed. Ball to other end. Goal - 12 point turnaround.
Darling monstered 20 out, not paid. Ball to other end. Goal - 12 point turnaround.
Buddy blatantly throws ball to player who kicks it forward where goal is scored – 6 point advantage.

On the negative side, just like last year, we let the ball rebound through the middle far too quickly and under too little pressure. This left Buddy one out and our defence isolated. And he is just too good to allow that.
Too many unforced skill errors.
Masten started out like a first gamer who didn't get the pace of the game. Thank f*** he got better and was far from our worst.
Nelson seems like a nice kid but I have my doubts about being AFL standard.
Schofield out for Cole in next week?

Watched the game without the heat of the moment, and I still think the umpiring was particularly poor.

Sydney received a large proportion of their 50:50 free kicks, and we did not. A large number of their possession chains prior to their goals involved a contentious free kick.

Free kick count 20 to 28 sydneys way
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Mead on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 pm

CouchPotato wrote:Watched the game without the heat of the moment, and I still think the umpiring was particularly poor.

Sydney received a large proportion of their 50:50 free kicks, and we did not. A large number of their possession chains prior to their goals involved a contentious free kick.

Although we generally get a very good run at home, every so often west coast encounter these 'over correction' games where you can tell the umpires have revved themselves up for 20-30 minutes pre game telling themselves they are NOT going to be intimidated by the one sided crowd, and run out looking for any possible excuse to shaft us.

At the end of the day for every umpiring game like this in WA there will be 5-6 where it goes in the other direction, so you just have to grin and bear it.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 am

Mead wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:Watched the game without the heat of the moment, and I still think the umpiring was particularly poor.

Although we generally get a very good run at home, every so often west coast encounter these 'over correction' games where you can tell the umpires have revved themselves up for 20-30 minutes pre game telling themselves they are NOT going to be intimidated by the one sided crowd, and run out looking for any possible excuse to shaft us.

At the end of the day for every umpiring game like this in WA there will be 5-6 where it goes in the other direction, so you just have to grin and bear it.

Agreed - just really feel like we probably deserved that win.

It would also be easier to complain if they were paid appropriately for the work they are expected to do.

It's a farce that they aren't full time professionals in this day and age.
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 am

Mead wrote:

Really did feel as if they came out with that sort of an attitude. That they wanted to make sure that the whole "crowd bias" debate didn't raise its head in the opening game of the new stadium. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were even a direction from the higher ups in the umpiring world as well just so that they can avoid the debate and spotlight being put on umpires at the new stadium and can point to this game in the future as proof that the extra crowd doesn't play a part.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles