West Coast v Melbourne
Game Focus

R1 : WCE vs Syd : Perth Stadium : Sun Mar 25th 4.40pm WST

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: R1 : WCE vs Syd : Perth Stadium : Sun Mar 25th 4.40pm WS

Postby Streaker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 pm

We actually started to look good once Naitanui was moved forward. Huge game from him and a real confidence builder for his knee. Nelson needs to go back to East Perth. There was just no stopping Buddy. One of the greats.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Streaker wrote:We actually started to look good once Naitanui was moved forward. Huge game from him and a real confidence builder for his knee. Nelson needs to go back to East Perth. There was just no stopping Buddy. One of the greats.

Schofield was terrible as well. Cole will come straight in next week.

I thought they might try to lock down Buddy with a one on one with Schofield, which has worked in the past. They did try it and Schofield had nothing. Our boys just gave him too much space and Buddy is nothing but class. They got belted for it.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Better than I feared, much of what I expected. The atmosphere was fabulous.

We played some horrible football - skills - but some pretty good good efforts at digging deep. The year might not be as long as I feared.

How good is Buddy? Love him, such a great West Australian. Was very proud to see that Tom Barrass kept on backing himself and was not cowed. He will be a better player in the long run and that's what I want most out of this year; players learning big lessons.

The oval is not as good as Adeliade overall but pretty damn close. Way better than the shit MCG!

Very pleased that they kept selected public access bars open for a while after the game so I could stay around a while before catching the train home. Fifth level opposite the bus station was the one we found; to my surprise, was open for about half an hour after the game. Yay!
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Redden, ive been a fan of his since his brisbane days but he was pretty poor today. He has no excuses this year.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby HH on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Anyone still doubt that Nic Nat is our most valuable player? Even on limited game time, he was so so influential.

I think the Frenchman also silenced his critics with his tackling pressure, goals and improvisation in the forward line.

Gee the umpires knew how to suck the life out of us with big decisions or non-decisions at crucial times that hurt us.

Ultimately Buddy was the difference and if Nic Nat can build on that form and the rest of the team lift accordingly, this year might not be as long and difficult as I initially feared.

They just need to bring that endeavour to Melbourne against a lacklustre Bulldogs.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:53 pm

I have not shouted at the TV, abusing umpires like that in years.

Three decisions killed us in the end.

Le Cras soccer goal disallowed. Ball to other end. Goal - 12 point turnaround.
Darling monstered 20 out, not paid. Ball to other end. Goal - 12 point turnaround.
Buddy blatantly throws ball to player who kicks it forward where goal is scored – 6 point advantage.

On the negative side, just like last year, we let the ball rebound through the middle far too quickly and under too little pressure. This left Buddy one out and our defence isolated. And he is just too good to allow that.
Too many unforced skill errors.
Masten started out like a first gamer who didn't get the pace of the game. Thank f*** he got better and was far from our worst.
Nelson seems like a nice kid but I have my doubts about being AFL standard.
Schofield out for Cole in next week?

On the positive.
LeCras was pretty good, as was Darling. Hurn was very good.
Waterman didn’t have a lot of it but looked like a smart footballer. We need more of those.
Ryan looks like a ready-made AFL player. Just needs to adjust to the tempo and game plan.
NN made a difference. Shame their midfield was just so much better than ours.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 am

Well, well, I love being proven wrong, if Nicnat is overrated by some then I'm a priest. Damn it's good to have him back. I thought we were good, I expected a smashing, some decisions didn't go our way but Sydney have a great team no doubt about it. Trying to beat Buddy 1 on 1 is near on impossible anyway. Hurn, Nicnat,Yeo, Shuey, and Barrass were very good.

Buddy, great throw that was, Parker,Lloyd, Sinclair and Heeney were all just everywhere. Robert Walls will be eating humble pie this morning surely? :)
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby gus3232 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am

So, did anyone join in "the huddle". Not a single person around me was doing it.
Oh noooo....the front door's exploded!!!
gus3232
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:15 am

gus3232 wrote:So, did anyone join in "the huddle". Not a single person around me was doing it.

Pretty much everyone on North wing level 5 was.

Don't see the point in it
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Redden, ive been a fan of his since his brisbane days but he was pretty poor today. He has no excuses this year.

I'm hearing you. I don't think it is too much to expect more from Redden now that this is his third season and he was recruited as a top end midfielder. I agree that there are no excuses for him in 2018. He needs to lift or will be replaced.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 am

gus3232 wrote:So, did anyone join in "the huddle". Not a single person around me was doing it.

There was a 'huddle'?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 am

Its astonishing how influential NicNat was and i dont just mean his ruckwork. He is a superstar.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Voice of Reason on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:47 am

Hamburger wrote:I thought we might get thumped in this game, but despite the coaching staff having no answer to the Sydney system of creating space for Franklin, the lack of any cohesive forward structure in the absence of Kennedy and the apparent bias of the umpiring decisions, we actually did ok. The final margin did not reflect how close the game was in the second half. If I was Jackson Nelson I would be wary of ever attacking the ball, or the player with the ball as every time he did an umpire awarded a free kick against him...for the most part I did not see any clear infringement. On the other hand the Swans defence led a charmed life.
The Eagles players were clearly very disappointed they did not win the first home game at their new ground, but there were some positive signs.
Natanui was simply magnificent for most of his time on the ground and appears to have come through this first hit out unscathed.......sacrifices of chickens and goats to the God of injuries have been successful!
Waterman looks both competent and smart.
Negatives?
Absence of a key marking target in the forward 50
Midfield structures still well below the sophistication shown by the Swans.
Ball handling inferior compared to the Swans

Exactly how I saw it Hamburger.

We have to be realistic this year. We are a team in transition who have changed considerably from last year's finals series. Considering three debutants and missing the best forward of his type in the AFL (JK), we did well against a strong team that will be thereabouts.

I was so pleased for Liam Ryan when he scored his goal. He has always been really impressive when I've seen him play for Subi against West Perth. I hope and pray he can grow into the role and play a major role in the team as a small forward (I have matured - I didn't spray the "Eagles fan" behind me who called him Rioli for a quarter).

While we did make mistakes, I believe that this is the year to be brave. Free up the players to develop an attractive brand of footy. Let Jetta do what he does. Play Ryan even if he does disappear for periods. Allow Redden to work with Mitchell and learn how to play that role - I did detect small signs of improvement. Play Barrass on big mobile forwards - he improved as the game went on. Find out if Jackson Nelson is good enough to play AFL - a friend of mine swears by him but I'm not sure. Things will go wrong, but we should accept that as part of the learning process.

Other random observations:
Masten was able to kick the ball further than before - bizarre.
McGovern was strangely off early, but got better.
Worried about Schofield - seems to have lost his pace now that he is physically developed but hasn't got the strength/power to go with the greater size, so he's neither one thing nor t'other...
Every time Jetta gets the ball I am excited. We must get him the ball more often.
Although Darling and LeCras did quite well and Waterman kicked a stellar goal, I still think our forwards need to lead better individually and collectively.
I am quite hopeful that our much maligned midfield will develop this year.
I worry that Lycett is not as good as the club thinks he is.

Finally...
Franklin's display of pace, power, skill and athleticism was magnificent. I saw Carey kick 10 and Lloyd 9 in the same game and Buddy was as good.
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:51 am

Pinion King wrote:

Pretty much everyone on North wing level 5 was.

Don't see the point in it

Considering how much a point they made the huddle in the lead up with their little video, I was surprised how little they actually made it. A brief and overall rather quiet " now lets all stand for the huddle" really didn't inspire anything. Nor make it seem worthwhile. Perhaps a bit of hype in the ground presenter to start with might have helped, but also maybe including a " gooo Eagles" or encouraging some sort of act that would create a noise might also have enhanced it. Overall I think even the announcer felt embarrassed asking people to stand for the huddle.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:54 am

Pinion King wrote:
Streaker wrote:We actually started to look good once Naitanui was moved forward. Huge game from him and a real confidence builder for his knee. Nelson needs to go back to East Perth. There was just no stopping Buddy. One of the greats.

Schofield was terrible as well. Cole will come straight in next week.

I thought they might try to lock down Buddy with a one on one with Schofield, which has worked in the past. They did try it and Schofield had nothing. Our boys just gave him too much space and Buddy is nothing but class. They got belted for it.

i think the problem is that by the time Schofield was moved Buddy already had the momentum and just was in a can't be stopped mode.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles