Scratch match

Postby hendo1963 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am

You can watch the live stream here.
aflliveadhochls348.ngcdn.telstra.com/afl...EO_FRE/playlist.m3u8
hendo1963
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: Scratch match

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:02 am

Schofields & Mastens days at AFL are numbered.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby ruckroving on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 am

Terrible coverage. Cheap and almost useless.
ruckroving
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:16 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Schofields & Mastens days at AFL are numbered.

Another expert analysis as we have come to expect.

Some pretty average skills being displayed as you might expect with a young team in a preseason game. Freo have an experienced side out there and are working harder than us. Many of our players not running hard enough into space and into defence. Ainsworth and Venables are standouts for young guys looking to debut. Rioli and Ryan doing some good things, but not finding the ball as much as they would like.

It's a bruise free effort and the umpires ensuring that the contests are not too hard. A few 50MPs dished out. We need to adjust.

Trying a few things out with McInnes rotating through the ruck into attack. Trying different combinations in the middle. Need to work harder for the second half.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am

ruckroving wrote:Terrible coverage. Cheap and almost useless.

At least they have given us something. It's not meant to be a Fox Footy telecast.

Loving the bias WCE commentary.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am

Pinion King wrote:

At least they have given us something. It's not meant to be a Fox Footy telecast.

Hoping the term "snotter" doesn't become part of the footy venacular.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:59 am

Streaker wrote:
Pinion King wrote:

Hoping the term "snotter" doesn't become part of the footy venacular.

Haha!

Some of the comments have had me chuckling.

Vardy just carried off the ground.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:59 am

Vardy assisted from the ground. Hopefully it's not serious
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Fat Side wrote:Vardy assisted from the ground. Hopefully it's not serious

From first look, apparently not knee.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Vardy assisted from the ground. Hopefully it's not serious

From first look, apparently not knee.

They're saying a groin at this stage
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Schofields & Mastens days at AFL are numbered.

Another expert analysis as we have come to expect.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't comment.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Waterman, Watson, Brander, Ainsworth got better as the game went on. Cole looks like a lock for defence at the expense of Nelson. McInnes did a couple of things and Hutchings was busy as usual.

Watson, Venables, Waterman and Ainsworth should be locks for next week I would think. Ryan and Rioli too. They are pushing for a round 1 debut. Lycett needs to find touch and should get as much footy as possible.

All in all a good run for the young guys only soured by the Vardy injury.

I thought there may have been too much emphasis on handball coming out of defence, but that could be due to a lack of options forward of the ball. Fremantle's forward press was very effective. We did struggle to get the ball out of defence.

A new look team with plenty to do.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mead on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Vardy going down puts the club in a delicate situation in terms of ruck- with NN still an unknown quantity I would think Lycett should be put in cotton wool next week- an injury or suspension to him on the eve of the season would be disastrous.

As for the game,
-as he always does, Duggan looks much better when he's given more midfield responsibility.

-Rioli is more ready for the big time than Ryan (and in limited minutes Karpany played good football also. Cripps and Lecca are in trouble.)

Venables was patchy- clearly has major athletic ability but doesn't yet impose himself the way he should. I think they will continue to give him minutes because of the potential payoff if he develops.

Brander, just so much to like about him, has good hands, a booming kick and made some quality decisions. It's a rare thing for a draftee key forward to look so poised so early- he will play AFL football this year.

Based on this game and the likely state of the injury list, I think Watson, Brander, Rioli, Mcinnes, Karpany, Cole and probably Venables will play senior games early this season.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Mead wrote:Vardy going down puts the club in a delicate situation in terms of ruck- with NN still an unknown quantity I would think Lycett should be put in cotton wool next week- an injury or suspension to him on the eve of the season would be disastrous.

As for the game,
-as he always does, Duggan looks much better when he's given more midfield responsibility.

-Rioli is more ready for the big time than Ryan (and in limited minutes Karpany played good football also. Cripps and Lecca are in trouble.)

Venables was patchy- clearly has major athletic ability but doesn't yet impose himself the way he should. I think they will continue to give him minutes because of the potential payoff if he develops.

Brander, just so much to like about him, has good hands, a booming kick and made some quality decisions. It's a rare thing for a draftee key forward to look so poised so early- he will play AFL football this year.

Based on this game and the likely state of the injury list, I think Watson, Brander, Rioli, Mcinnes, Karpany, Cole and probably Venables will play senior games early this season.

There is so much expectation placed on Venables that we forget that he is yet to play an AFL game. I believe he will become the player we need. I think he will play round 1. I agree on Brander. He is a good size and I too wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game this year. Waterman looked a lot better leading to the ball. I hope you're right with the debutants.

I would much rather see us finish 10th having played the youngsters than to finish 8th with the same old same old. This should be a year of transition and we are going to get frustrated at times, but we need to look at the big picture.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Reports that vardy has done an adductor and could miss a chunk of the first part of the season.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles