West Coast v Melbourne
Game Focus

Subiaco Memories

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Subiaco Memories

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 am

Yesterday's game was one of the best Subi has ever seen in terms of crowd excitement, a tense final outcome and just generally being a great day at the footy.

What Subi games from the past stick in your memory?

- In the Petrie thread Mead and I recalled a game against the Roos played in a mudheap after a massive thunderstorm had gone through just before the game.
- The game against the Doggies where we were 13 points down with two minutes to play and Sampi played the best two minutes of his alas brief career to draw the game.
- Knocking off the rampaging reigning premier Lions on a 23 game winning streak in 2002.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Subiaco Memories

Postby Pinion King on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 am

1. Nic Nat's 2nd game vs Hawthorn. Not just the excitement and the show that he put on, but the weather. Never have and had I sat through such weather at a footy match. The rain was so heavy you could hear it hitting the roof of the stands from ground level, and was blasting the side of your face through your rain coat. It was well worth it though.

2. The Semi Final vs Carlton in 2011, the first final I had ever been to and the atmosphere and tension in that final quarter that just went on and on. When that siren blew everyone was hugging everyone didn't matter if you knew them or not.

3. 2015 Qual final vs Hawthorn, never had I seen us in recent times play such a perfect game of footy. The threat of rain that held off until the final siren sounded. Then we got drenched while we celebrated.

Too many others to name.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:33 am

That reminds me of another very interesting match against the Hawks, Round 4, 2012 - the game was played in howling winds at night, and at half time we were goalless (0.12 in fact). Except the Hawks were only 2.7, and we won with a scoreline of 5.21 to 5.16. Probably the most inaccurate game in the AFL era. I'd be intrigued to see if any other club in the AFL era has won after not kicking a goal before half time.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am

Mr Q wrote:That reminds me of another very interesting match against the Hawks, Round 4, 2012 - the game was played in howling winds at night, and at half time we were goalless (0.12 in fact). Except the Hawks were only 2.7, and we won with a scoreline of 5.21 to 5.16. Probably the most inaccurate game in the AFL era. I'd be intrigued to see if any other club in the AFL era has won after not kicking a goal before half time.

Yep remember that one. Probably one of the most frustrating games. We certainly didn't have a lack of scoring shots.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WestCoastAJ on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:15 am

First Semi Final 2006 West Coast vs Western Bulldogs. With the crowd cheers Lynchy, Lynchy, Lynchy. 8)
Official 2015 EFH sponsor of Kane "I hate Carlton" Lucas
Official 2014 EFH sponsor of Sharod "The trampoliner" Wellingham
WestCoastAJ
Regular

Postby jourgo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:30 am

2005 - I think - against the scum. Bucketed down all night long. Was sitting at the city and had it in my face whole game.

But with the heart warming feeling one gets from a come-from-behind victory against the scum, I remember it fondly.

And on the other side of the coin.... 2009 or 2008, 2nd derby. Probably the worst game of footy I ever saw. Two shit teams trying to out-clanger each other in perfect conditions. Was so bad it was comedic.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Bigbird on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 pm

One of my favourites was the Roos - possibly in 03. Wet day, soaked through and it was a close game. Rocca was having a great game and with not long left he had a difficult shot from about 40 out tucked up against the boundary. I gave him a good talking to and he missed. I think Sampi kicked the winner at the other end a short time later.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm

2006 against Carlton. We were getting beaten badly and pulled a rabbit out of the hat in the last quarter. I remember listening to Wally Foreman on the radio - about 15 minutes into the last quarter he announced 'west coast can't win.'

We went on to win that game with a goal in the final seconds. Chick handpassed the ball over a Carlton player to Embley running into an open goal. Watching Cousins continually bursting out of the middle and feeding the forward line was an absolute treat.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm not a member so I don't go to every game. I've been to a few matches over the years, but this has to be the most exciting finish I was ever present for.

I was lucky enough to be invited by friends who had an open air box for this match, and it was awesome.

http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm also not a member, but have met some very good people along the way who have generously let me attend when they couldn't make it.

Some of the most exciting games i saw live was Nat's game against the hawks in the such wet conditions, the 2006 SF against the dogs and the 2011 EF against Carlton.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby The Boat on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Got to be the finals.

2005 Prelim against the Crows
2015 Quali v Hawks - That's the loudest I have ever heard the crowd.

Yesterday was amazing though, I'm lucky enough to sit on the Lewis Jetta wing and the crowd reaction to that chase was off the charts.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:14 pm

The 1986 State of Origin vs the Big V was hands down the best game played at Subiaco if not ever played. Underage standing on the hill chugging on glass stubbies watching electrifying end to end footy played as though lives were at stake.

7 lead changes in the final quarter. Brian Peak 7 goals playing at FF. Andrew MacNish taking one of the great all time hangers soaring over a huge pack with one, two bites to pull it down.... then missed the set shot from 25m!!

BUCKENARA with ice in his veins, goals for his 5th and the lead with a minute remaining before Wayne Blackwell.... WAYNE FUCKING BLACKWELL the great man with his lunatic smother to win us the game and series. STICK THAT RIGHT UP YER VIC ARSES!!
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 pm

WCE06 wrote:The 1986 State of Origin vs the Big V was hands down the best game played at Subiaco if not ever played. Underage standing on the hill chugging on glass stubbies watching electrifying end to end footy played as though lives were at stake.

7 lead changes in the final quarter. Brian Peak 7 goals playing at FF. Andrew MacNish taking one of the great all time hangers soaring over a huge pack with one, two bites to pull it down.... then missed the set shot from 25m!!

BUCKENARA with ice in his veins, goals for his 5th and the lead with a minute remaining before Wayne Blackwell.... WAYNE FUCKING BLACKWELL the great man with his lunatic smother to win us the game and series. STICK THAT RIGHT UP YER VIC ARSES!!

Top game. I was there right next to where the big brawl started at the city end grassed area.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 pm

WCE06 wrote:The 1986 State of Origin vs the Big V was hands down the best game played at Subiaco if not ever played. Underage standing on the hill chugging on glass stubbies watching electrifying end to end footy played as though lives were at stake.

Ah yes. Didn't go to it but still have the video of the game. Laurie Keene at his very best, making Simon Madden & Paul Salmon look very second level.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby neurosis3000 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 pm

People have different reasons for remembering Subi moments. For me:

1991 WAFL Grand Final: Claremont v Subiaco - The half-time score of 85-15 is the greatest in WAFL Grand Finals so not the best in terms of footy matches but as a Tigers supporter it felt like the end of an era as eight out the top twenty players taken in the 1991 National Draft were from Claremont including six of the top ten. 1 Hutton, 3 Kowal, 4 McGovern(father of Mitch and Jeremy), 5 Norrish, 6 Burton, 7 Guard, 12 Malone and 19 Gilbert.

1991 Qualifying Final: West Coast v Hawthorn - What can I say? First final outside Victoria. I spent the match being dripped on under the Roberts Rd side scoreboard. Karl Langdon got us to within a goal in the last quarter before the Hawks kicked away. We lost but it was the start of the AFL(and post-VFL) era. There've been ten non-Victorian premiers since.

2013 Round 8: West Coast v North Melbourne - That man, that mark....

EDIT: Tony Evans also played in the 1991 WAFL Grand Final but he'd already been drafted by the Eagles in 1989.
Last edited by neurosis3000 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“At night there is no such thing as an ugly woman”

Publius Ovidius Naso (20 March 43 BC – AD 17/18)
neurosis3000
Rookie

Next

Return to West Coast Eagles