West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Postby The Kaspoofinator on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:19 pm

Joondalup isn't going to happen :D It needs to be centralish.

HEY! you can see my house in that Perry Lakes google earth picture. Fantastic. I've got to tell you, footy at Perry Lakes would be the worst idea in the existance of man. There is no train line passing even remotely close to the venue, and you can even forget about buses. It's hopeless here.

I personally don't see the problem with chucking a third tier on one of the stands, and redeveloping another few to seat more people. You've got to think about this from an organisers perspective... Subi is filled once a fortnight (Yes, the dockers are too hopeless to even fill subi) for half of the year. That's not really enough to warrant a massive redevelopment. There would need to be more sports played there, and that really isn't happening right now.
The Kaspoofinator
Veteran

Postby Quinzate1 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:40 pm

The Kaspoofinator wrote:There would need to be more sports played there, and that really isn't happening right now.

We could always start a croquet club, I'm sure there'd be some interest around for that. We'd be rolling in money.
Quinzate1
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Royals on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:44 pm

Quinzate1 wrote:
The Kaspoofinator wrote:There would need to be more sports played there, and that really isn't happening right now.

We could always start a croquet club, I'm sure there'd be some interest around for that. We'd be rolling in money.

Maybe start a watermelon seed spitting team ???
big demand I reckon :roll:
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Quinzate1 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Matt4theMax wrote:
Quinzate1 wrote:

WHAT? No one likes spitting watermelon seeds. You're crazy.

:)
Quinzate1
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eagle Boy on Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:44 pm

I hope we get a bigger stadium as on a number of occasions this year I would have liked to go to the gam but tickets are just so hard to get. We need a stadium of at least 60,000 even between 65-70,000 with the possibility of increasing it in years to come as Perth is getting bigger all the time.
I love Subi and would love to see it expanded but I don't think it will happen. If they do then they will only increase it by say 5,000 and that's not good enough. When they redeveloped it should have been at least 50,000. Subi is the home of footy to me so I would love to cocntinue that being the case but we need a bigger stadium and Subi probably can't allow that. The ANZ stand should go and the second tier continued and even the third. But the Council won't allow it which I think is disappointing.
If they don't play at Subi then it will probably go. It would be sad as it should be kept but it probably won't we viable. What about the Eagles rooms? They aren't that old.
I don't think you could purchase houses to do it as it would cost quite a bit. It's funny that the WAFC owned the land one day. It's crazy that SA has a bigger stadium. They won't totally demolish it as that would cost a massive amoun and where would footy be played in the mean time?
Therefore we may have to build a new stadium at say Belmont. Belmont wouldn't be bad option but the land there has also increased in value. The ground though has to located centrally. The WACA wouldn't be a bad option but I don't think it would be possible as I think they are going to turn that area into housing around the WACA. I feel that we should try and keep Subi and the WACA but the WACA may go sometime. It would be a loss but sometimes things just have to happen for the better.
The Claremont showgrounds isn't a bad idea either but people may oppose the building of such a stadium near them. The Entertainment Centre site would be too small and not sure about the other footy ovals.
I would like to suggest the Royal Perth Hospital site. Hearing that RPH may close due to the building of a new hospital then it would be a perfect site. There is lot's of room and centrally located. Tough they may not want it there as that land would be worth quite a few million. I think it would be great.
WA does need a bigger stadium and something has to be done about it. We can't wait 10 yaers for just an extra 5,000 to 10,000 seats. This will just be stop gap measure and Subi will always need to be expanded. The WAFC and the government should get there act together and get it sorted out instead of laying it off. They are just delaying the inevitable. I would love footy to stay at Subi but if it means a bigger stadium then we may have to look elsewhere. All I'm concerned about is a bigger stadium where I can go and see my team play!
Eagle Boy
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Royals on Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Quinzate1 wrote:
Matt4theMax wrote:
Quinzate1 wrote:

WHAT? No one likes spitting watermelon seeds. You're crazy.

:)

damm was going to try and captain the side tooo ... .never been captain before 8)
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:32 am

Quinzate1 wrote:

With the Western Force having 20,000 members already it seems Members Equity Stadium is going to be too small to house them. If you had an oval that could cater for Rugby, Soccer, Cricket and Footy as well as the odd concert or two then I don't see it not being viable. The only time you get big crowds at the cricket is when we have an international team playing.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby chicky_fanatic on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:51 am

the western force have created a bit of a headache with the members equity redevelopment. they're playing at subi oval for a couple of years while the redevelopment is completed, but they will be lucky to fit all of their members into the redeveloped stadium, let alone members of the general public. sounds familiar hey.

i know the wallabies games are gonna draw bigger crowds than the force will, but that should have been a pretty good indicator that perthites like thier sport, and that if we were gonna be successful in getting a super 14 team, we would need a decent sized stadium to fit them in.

likewise with the eagles, the crowds have been steadily growing over the years too. the Govt have been talking about a new stadium for years, but have done nothing about it. which is why we are left with small stadiums, useless empty stadiums (PEC) and those that are meant to get bulldozed (the dome), but for the fact that perth really will get tossed off the face of the earth as we have no suitable venues for any artists to perform at. it doesn't help that perth is just too far for acts to travel too, but it would be nice if they actually had somewhere to perform.

probably also a contributing factor in why there hasn't been any movement with a stadium, we have that many stadium/venue issues that need to be resolved, and they don't know where to begin!
chicky_fanatic
Veteran

Postby Dublin Eagle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:35 pm

For me there are only 2 options.

1. Rebuild the entire ANZ stand and bring Subi Oval capacity up to 65-70K.

2. Gloucester Park site. It is about twice as big as the WACA and would be an ideal site for a new stadium. I would also like to see new pubs/restaurants etc built on the river side of the area.

It was cost a bit for sure, but we need a long-term solution, not a short term fix.
Dublin Eagle
Regular

Postby stadiumking on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:03 pm

Dublin Eagle wrote:For me there are only 2 options.

1. Rebuild the entire ANZ stand and bring Subi Oval capacity up to 65-70K.

2. Gloucester Park site. It is about twice as big as the WACA and would be an ideal site for a new stadium. I would also like to see new pubs/restaurants etc built on the river side of the area.

It was cost a bit for sure, but we need a long-term solution, not a short term fix.

Can’t be done. Firstly, the ANZ stand is very new and houses corporate boxes etc; secondly, there isn’t any room. The ANZ stand takes up just about as much room as possible…the road constricts it a great deal. I admit that this stand is quite a strange feature of Subiaco Oval, but it’s going to stay for quite a while.
***Mitch Brown. Proudly brought to you by Nathan Bassett***
stadiumking
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:08 pm

Dublin Eagle wrote:2. Gloucester Park site. It is about twice as big as the WACA and would be an ideal site for a new stadium. I would also like to see new pubs/restaurants etc built on the river side of the area.

Gloucester Park is not a good option, because it fails on the primary test of a good location - its not next to the train line. Now I know its not a long way away, but the experience from the WACA was that the walking distance is just too much, and the difference between that and GP is negligible.

Location next to the railway line is critical (no more than five minutes walk from the nearest station), because trains are far and away the best method of moving a large crowd to and from a venue.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Dublin Eagle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:10 pm

I know it has restritions etc, but if Subi Oval capacity is to be increased, this is the major part of the stadium which needs to seat 25k at least. If this option is not viable, we need a new studium built to serve the future 50+ years.
Dublin Eagle
Regular

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Ok Ok Ok, I will have it in my back yard. I will put on a barbie every week and look after the lawn as long as you guys bring the beers.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Dublin Eagle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Mr Q wrote:Gloucester Park is not a good option, because it fails on the primary test of a good location - its not next to the train line. Now I know its not a long way away, but the experience from the WACA was that the walking distance is just too much.

Build an underground line from Perth Station to the new site. Like you say it is not a long way, so it would be a worthwhile excercise.
Dublin Eagle
Regular

Postby Streaker on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:24 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Dublin Eagle wrote:2. Gloucester Park site. It is about twice as big as the WACA and would be an ideal site for a new stadium. I would also like to see new pubs/restaurants etc built on the river side of the area.

Gloucester Park is not a good option, because it fails on the primary test of a good location - its not next to the train line. Now I know its not a long way away, but the experience from the WACA was that the walking distance is just too much, and the difference between that and GP is negligible.

Location next to the railway line is critical (no more than five minutes walk from the nearest station), because trains are far and away the best method of moving a large crowd to and from a venue.

Move the train line. A line directly from the city under the river to Great Eastern Highway near the Burswood Resort would be the go. We have this big machine that can bore tunnels under the ground at the rate of 10cm per month and only cost $20 million per millisecond.

Belmont really is the only answer. It's far enough away from housing, has the transport infrastructure and the right orientattion for cricket. Sell off Subi, the WACA, Gloucester Park and the PoliceHQ and MTT bus terminus as well as Members Equity stadium. Add the $25 million for the ME upgrade to the $175 million for the indoor arena the Government intends building + the cash from all the other land and we should get a decent stadium.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles