West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Postby stadiumking on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:53 pm

Sinking roads is not a necessity at all. This picture of the Gabba shows how stadiums can overhang onto the road. Similar situation at Skilled Stadium, as well as Brunton ave @ MCG. The only problem with Subiaco is that residents will never allow it.

***Mitch Brown. Proudly brought to you by Nathan Bassett***
stadiumking
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby TOA on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:58 pm

wirraskillz wrote:What do you reckon Lewie, use the bowls club area and the tree covered areas as car parks, decent circulation of public transport with Morley and Perth being on either side. The traino isn't too far and you'd have a fairly impressive looking stadium with lots of good places for before and after the game?
No one way streets either and a pleasant neighbourhood to boot.
Thanks for the marvelous work again Mr Beast.

As much as you would like it wirraskillz, I dont think it would be viable.

Firstly, I dont think the city council are going to like the idea of having 60 thousand people passing through their shire. Likewise the nearby residents complaining about noise and lighting.

Secondly, I dont know the area well but you would want various food/shopping/ nightlife nearby to the Oval.

Thirdly, public transport to Mt Lawley isnt the best (I will stand corrected on that). Does the train line pass through there?

As I said before, the oval has to be situated centrally to the city. None of this suburban oval stuff, that was the 1970's. I think Belmont park/ WACA are the only viable sites.
Shannon Hurn player president
TOA
EFH Legend

Postby wirraskillz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:06 pm

The Mt Lawley station is about 4 stops shy of the city stop heading from Midland.
Within 10 blocks in any direction there are 5 pubs, a 24 hour Ezy Plus, a 24 hour (I think?) kebab place a 24 hour Hungry Spot and one or two late, late night pizza places.
but yes, 60,000 extra people may seem a bit more than usual for the locals who walk their dogs at the park.
As for suburban ovals? We could rename the suburb to something more official sounding and say it's an inland port or something?
How about, Eagleia? or Mighty Westcoastius?
PREMIERS BY 2012...
wirraskillz
Regular

Postby WC-Juddanaut on Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:18 pm

How about rebuilding leederville(Eftel) oval?

There is already a lot of carparks for the loftus centre, its close to the city, the train station is near by..
Member #10
WC-Juddanaut
Veteran

Postby wirraskillz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:30 pm

Nah, if they rebuild that you won't be able to drive up to the fence behind the goals with a carton in the boot anymore.
PREMIERS BY 2012...
wirraskillz
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:37 pm

wirraskillz wrote:The Mt Lawley station is about 4 stops shy of the city stop heading from Midland.

The Mount Lawley station and Hamer Park aren't exactly near each other though, are they? In fact, I reckon Mt Lawley station might be not a lot further from the city than it is from Hamer Park.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby wirraskillz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:45 pm

Yeah but you need a decent walk up to the ground so you can kick the footy to each other.
PREMIERS BY 2012...
wirraskillz
Regular

Postby WC-Juddanaut on Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:10 pm

wirraskillz wrote:Nah, if they rebuild that you won't be able to drive up to the fence behind the goals with a carton in the boot anymore.

valid point :p
Member #10
WC-Juddanaut
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:19 pm

Lynch Beast wrote:Image

That's Perry Lakes, not Claremont Oval, and, being in Floreat has utterly crap transport links. Perry Lakes has been discussed as a potential site for redevelopment as a major sporting venue and dismissed because of these transport issues. Oh, and the stadium and next door rugby pitch are being replaced with housing sometime in the next few years anyway.

Ultimately, nowhere in the Western Suburbs is going to be any better than Subiaco. The Showgrounds are terrible for anything except trains (although having a dedicated station is an advantage), and there's no way the Claremont council would be in any way more accommodating than Subi council is, Perry Lakes is utterly pointless because of useless transport links (half an hour's walk to the nearest station), and there's nothing else of notable size.

If a new stadium is to be built it must be
1. Near a railway line
2. Near the freeway / Polly Pipe, as there will always be people that won't catch the train
3. Close to the CBD (meaning closer than Subi), so it suits the entire city for travelling.
4. Suitable for football and cricket.

There are unfortunately no good locations that fit these criteria available at the moment. The best would be Belmont Park, although not ideal. Most other good possible locations have now been used (such as the old Markets site, or the Convention Center site, or even Perth Oval).
- The Esplanade isn't big enough,
- The WACA is too awkwardly located (remember when footy was there before?)
- any location at the Entertainment Center/railway lines isn't big enough for cricket (North/south requirements) and might have problems like Docklands with too thin a surface over the rail tunnels

The only venue I can see that could be redeveloped would be Leederville Oval as it has space around it, with Leederville train station, the Vincent Street freeway exits, and location near the Leederville town center. Would be hard getting the local council on side though, although I'm sure that the local businesses would be all for it. Borderline on distance from the city, but probably OK. Even then there'd be problems with the TAFE college and Aranmore school grounds perhaps being too close.

Completely rebuilding Subiaco is also out, as it would take a lot longer than a single off season, and if we were to build a new stadium, we'd need to keep Subi running in the interim. Otherwise we would be reduced to the WACA for footy for a couple of years - with its 21,000 capacity.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby stadiumking on Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:33 pm

WACA can be ruled out as an option almost altogether. The WACA trust will never let it happen...plus they are twats.....plus they have just spend an extraordinary amount of money downgrading the capacity and putting in hills etc. Given the amount of cricket it gets though, it'll be lucky to exist in the forseeable future.
***Mitch Brown. Proudly brought to you by Nathan Bassett***
stadiumking
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby vicki on Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:57 am

Leederville Oval can be counted out of the equation as it is still in the process of redevelopment as the home of both the Mighty Royals - and that other mob in maroon and gold. The Lions have built clubrooms, the Royals have refurbished the old Garlicmunchers facilities and the outer banks will be redeveloped as well.
vicki
Regular

Postby Royals on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:20 am

vicki wrote:Leederville Oval can be counted out of the equation as it is still in the process of redevelopment as the home of both the Mighty Royals - and that other mob in maroon and gold. The Lions have built clubrooms, the Royals have refurbished the old Garlicmunchers facilities and the outer banks will be redeveloped as well.

While i love my royals (Most Premierships this Century :D)
it pisses me off we are at old enemy headquaters I cop it all the time from garlic muncher mates asking me how we like their hand me downs :evil:
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Sico 17 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 am

Matt4theMax wrote:While i love my royals (Most Premierships this Century :D)
it pisses me off we are at old enemy headquaters I cop it all the time from garlic muncher mates asking me how we like their hand me downs :evil:

Tell them someone had to bring a premiership back to Leederville Oval, they couldn't do it for so long!
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Royals on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:46 am

Sico 17 wrote:
Matt4theMax wrote:While i love my royals (Most Premierships this Century :D)

Tell them someone had to bring a premiership back to Leederville Oval, they couldn't do it for so long!

thats right sico but i think they are still one ahead of us im premierships won..the cheats count some from the 1900's
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Voice of Reason on Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:24 pm

vicki wrote:Leederville Oval can be counted out of the equation as it is still in the process of redevelopment as the home of both the Mighty Royals - and that other mob in maroon and gold. The Lions have built clubrooms, the Royals have refurbished the old Garlicmunchers facilities and the outer banks will be redeveloped as well.

And what a shoddy, slow and ordinary job they're doing of redeveloping it.

Both clubrooms are nice - for a suburban oval and small crowds.

I don't have an answer to the overall problem though - which is hardly surprising as successive governments have done nothing except patch up.

Arena Joondalup anyone?
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles