Sat, 21 Apr 2018 • 14:35 WST
West Coast v Carlton
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Postby Streaker on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:17 pm

Since I don't have broadband, can someone use Google Earth and get a picture of the Gloucester Park/WACA/Police HQ/Old MTT Terminus to see how much land would be available. The problem I see arising is that property like that so close to the CBD and on the foreshore is going to be worth a squillion dollars eventually.

Subiaco residents already complain about the noise and there is no way in hell that the Council is going to give permission for more night events, which I think would be necessary to make a large stadium viable. Claremont residents are the same and I don't know if you have ever tried to park around thta area during the Royal Show, but parking is an issue.

We need to up the ante and try to get the Commonwealth Games to Perth, this would see the Federal Gov chucking some dollars our way to help build the facilities.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Royals on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:22 pm

shibz_1989 wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:
Ford wrote:Can't we just close Roberts Rd, and keep the houses there? There's enough space just with the road to expand that southern wing stand?

The problem is Subi council won't let much construction on that side because it will keep the houses in permenant shade and thier plants won't grow. (Good old Tony Costa strikes again!)

:) That's as bad as residents near my school complaining that the school bell rang during Oprah... :roll:

The best for me is still curtains fade during daylight saving so dont vote for it :shock:
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby shibz_1989 on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:27 pm

Matt4theMax wrote:
shibz_1989 wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:
Ford wrote:Can't we just close Roberts Rd, and keep the houses there? There's enough space just with the road to expand that southern wing stand?

The problem is Subi council won't let much construction on that side because it will keep the houses in permenant shade and thier plants won't grow. (Good old Tony Costa strikes again!)

:) That's as bad as residents near my school complaining that the school bell rang during Oprah... :roll:

The best for me is still curtains fade during daylight saving so dont vote for it :shock:

They're going to fade whether or not there's daylight savings... :?
.: Proud Bleeder of Purple :.

180 days til more Keplerrrr Loooove <3
shibz_1989
EFH Legend

Postby cheese on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:31 pm

i dont think we can overlook the atmosphere in and around subi on match day.a bigger 3 tier stand and less space sucked up by corporate area's may get us 55000 seats and although not enough ,it may just be good enough IMO
subi the home of footy
belmont the home of losing shit loads of money at burswood
Luke THE OTHER FOOT Shuey
cheese
EFH Legend

Postby Royals on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:41 pm

cheese wrote:i dont think we can overlook the atmosphere in and around subi on match day.a bigger 3 tier stand and less space sucked up by corporate area's may get us 55000 seats and although not enough ,it may just be good enough IMO
subi the home of footy
belmont the home of losing shit loads of money at burswood

it may be enough for TV ...they dont want bigger stadiums
they want small packed ones as compared to half empty big ones

better for their coverage
and more poeple are forced to stay home and watch cause they cant get to games
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:51 am

That really isn't practical. Roberts Road is a major arterial link to the western suburbs (Daglish/Jolimont/Floreat/Mt Claremont/Swanbourne), to cut that would make traffic flow an utter nightmare for the whole western suburbs area. The idiocy of speed bumps on Hay Street was bad enough, but closing Roberts Road would require Hay Street to be two way through Subi..... That's the stuff of nightmares traffic wise (anyone who remembers the old Subiaco subway would know what I mean)
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Lynch Beast on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:09 am

Streaker wrote:Since I don't have broadband, can someone use Google Earth and get a picture of the Gloucester Park/WACA/Police HQ/Old MTT Terminus to see how much land would be available. The problem I see arising is that property like that so close to the CBD and on the foreshore is going to be worth a squillion dollars eventually.

Lynch Beast
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:16 am

Lynch Beast wrote:
Streaker wrote:Since I don't have broadband, can someone use Google Earth and get a picture of the Gloucester Park/WACA/Police HQ/Old MTT Terminus to see how much land would be available. The problem I see arising is that property like that so close to the CBD and on the foreshore is going to be worth a squillion dollars eventually.

Certainly looks like enough land on both those sites to host the development of a major sporting complex.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby wirraskillz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Okay, this is going to seem a little selfish and perhaps even stoopid, but for anyone who's been to Mount Lawley and seen Hamer Park the oval I used to play footy on is actually rumoured to be similar in dimensions to Subiaco as well as having an attatched club house and bowls club.
The best part about a move to Mount Lawley is the 2 other ovals attatched to it, so by plonking our new stadium in the middle we would be allowed planty of room for the stadium and car parks.
The cricket club has a mint little area for post-match functions and I'm not sure if the lady who did it is still there, but it used to be 50 cents for a mean cup of pea and ham soup, as opposed to a 7 dollar hot dog which has died of thirst.
The buses run up and down Fitzgerald which is two blocks on one side and North Street which runs down the other side and Central which is the entrance to the main oval. Plus the traino is only a dozen blocks or less away, and if I can walk that half drunk and carrying 20 showbags then a bunch of rabid Eagles fans can do it too.
The only downside to my plan is it means allowing Dockers supporters into the neighbourhood. Hmmmm.
But yeah, even the drinking venues for the area are covered, there's the Civic, the Inglewood, The Flying Scotsman the Queens, Liquorland, Sip n Save and my house!
If anyone can use that bird's eye thing again to bring up the area I'm talking about; it's in between the round about on Second Ave and the High School. Cheers.
PREMIERS BY 2012...
wirraskillz
Regular

Postby Lynch Beast on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 pm

3km's straight line from the CBD and the site is around 565 x 180

got to love google earth, amazing program
Lynch Beast
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby wirraskillz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:11 pm

you da man Beasty.
Tell me do your dimensions incorporate the two ovals above and to the right of Hamer as well as the tree covered areas and the bowls club in between the white UWA buildings and the main oval?
i really wanna get the ball rolling on this one because my place is 150 paces from the park! :twisted:
PREMIERS BY 2012...
wirraskillz
Regular

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:11 pm

Streaker wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:

Certainly looks like enough land on both those sites to host the development of a major sporting complex.

I'm all for tearing down Trinity College if it means a new stadium. Hey, I'm all for tearing the place down regardless.

Bloody Trinity and their "year 13" program. You can only pass off 22 year olds in your First 8 for so long....
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby lewis 28 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:22 pm

wirraskillz wrote:Okay, this is going to seem a little selfish and perhaps even stoopid, but for anyone who's been to Mount Lawley and seen Hamer Park the oval I used to play footy on is actually rumoured to be similar in dimensions to Subiaco as well as having an attatched club house and bowls club.

man i can see that oval from my house. ill back any proposal for a stadium there. bloody awesome area.
lewis 28
Regular

Postby Lynch Beast on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:31 pm

wirraskillz wrote:you da man Beasty.
Tell me do your dimensions incorporate the two ovals above and to the right of Hamer as well as the tree covered areas and the bowls club in between the white UWA buildings and the main oval?
i really wanna get the ball rolling on this one because my place is 150 paces from the park! :twisted:

Lynch Beast
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby wirraskillz on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:43 pm

What do you reckon Lewie, use the bowls club area and the tree covered areas as car parks, decent circulation of public transport with Morley and Perth being on either side. The traino isn't too far and you'd have a fairly impressive looking stadium with lots of good places for before and after the game?
No one way streets either and a pleasant neighbourhood to boot.
Thanks for the marvelous work again Mr Beast.
PREMIERS BY 2012...
wirraskillz
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles