11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby WC Aquila on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Regarding the stadium I absolutely love it, great world class facility, pretty setting, awesome atmosphere and vibe. The only gripe is that the food is crap and the inadequate public transport to weekday events, I don’t care if it clashes with peak hour traffic but when you make a social contract to encourage use of public transport and we are paying for it in our ticket price then bloody provide the service.
WC Aquila
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:00 pm

WC Aquila wrote:Regarding the stadium I absolutely love it, great world class facility, pretty setting, awesome atmosphere and vibe. The only gripe is that the food is crap and the inadequate public transport to weekday events, I don’t care if it clashes with peak hour traffic but when you make a social contract to encourage use of public transport and we are paying for it in our ticket price then bloody provide the service.

Or don't schedule weeknight games. Although I think it's okay and better since the bridge opened.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WC Aquila on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Fat Side wrote:
WC Aquila wrote:Regarding the stadium I absolutely love it, great world class facility, pretty setting, awesome atmosphere and vibe. The only gripe is that the food is crap and the inadequate public transport to weekday events, I don’t care if it clashes with peak hour traffic but when you make a social contract to encourage use of public transport and we are paying for it in our ticket price then bloody provide the service.

Or don't schedule weeknight games. Although I think it's okay and better since the bridge opened.

I agree about the scheduling but there are other events like cricket and concerts.
WC Aquila
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 pm

There's a simple issue with weekday matches : there aren't any more trains or buses that they *could* use. The PTA warned them of this a long time ago. Even if there were more buses and trains, there aren't more bus drivers and train drivers.

There is an even bigger social contract that the PTA have to abide by - their timetable. They say they're going to run certain services, they have to do their utmost to get them to run. The AFL coming along and shovelling a footy match in somewhere is secondary to that, not the priority.

The biggest problem we have is that because people over east don't want to stay up late, our night games are played much earlier than they are in Melbourne. If they were scheduled for 7.50 like in Melbourne, we'd have few problems.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Mr Q wrote:The biggest problem we have is that because people over east don't want to stay up late, our night games are played much earlier than they are in Melbourne. If they were scheduled for 7.50 like in Melbourne, we'd have few problems.

I can actually understand that one. A 1930 start in Perth wouldn't finish until after midnight. Only the hardest core supporters of involved clubs would watch that. Ratings = near zero.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Mr Q wrote:The biggest problem we have is that because people over east don't want to stay up late, our night games are played much earlier than they are in Melbourne. If they were scheduled for 7.50 like in Melbourne, we'd have few problems.

I can actually understand that one. A 1930 start in Perth wouldn't finish until after midnight. Only the hardest core supporters of involved clubs would watch that. Ratings = near zero.

But we did actually have that for a long time. Night games at the WACA commonly had start times of 19.40 and even 20.40. And that included Fridays. I remember them being very late, and as a result sometimes extremely cold.

I've even found a couple of Saturday games in the late 90s at Subiaco with start times as late as 21:00.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Mr Q wrote:
MrWoollie wrote:

But we did actually have that for a long time. Night games at the WACA commonly had start times of 19.40 and even 20.40. And that included Fridays. I remember them being very late, and as a result sometimes extremely cold.

I've even found a couple of Saturday games in the late 90s at Subiaco with start times as late as 21:00.

I actually remember some of those. I was living in Sydney and then Melbourne ('91-'92) and then Sydney at the time and everyone basically found out the result the next morning. It was like a foreign match where a local team happened to be playing.
And in Melbourne no-one except fans of the involved club (and us few Eagles fans) gave a toss. In Sydney they didn't even bother televising it.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:38 am

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/wounde ... 881226219z

Fremantle have temporarily suspended training sessions at Optus Stadium after Rory Lobb became the latest victim of the club’s lower-leg injury crisis.

The Dockers have been relatively quiet on this issue, but that has changed. With Kersten, Taberner, Pearce and now Lobb out with ankle injuries, they have stopped training at the stadium.

I'm not sure what the answer is other than waiting for the surface to settle as it matures, but that could take another year or two.

I suppose suspending training by both home teams is the only answer at this stage
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Fat Side wrote:The Dockers have been relatively quiet on this issue, but that has changed. With Kersten, Taberner, Pearce and now Lobb out with ankle injuries, they have stopped training at the stadium.

I'm not sure what the answer is other than waiting for the surface to settle as it matures, but that could take another year or two.

I suppose suspending training by both home teams is the only answer at this stage

It's worth remembering how bad Docklands was in it's early years (I think I called it the "Grassless Knoll" at one point) - and now it's mostly OK.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby HH on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:00 pm

There are still tickets to the Muppets home derby available on Ticketmaster...for the princely sum of $101 per ticket to sit in the gods (sections in the 500s).
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 pm

I reckon a journo should make a freedom of information request for the Clegg Hammer tests for Optus Stadium which purportedly show that the stadium is at the softer end of the range as permitted by the AFL.
Last edited by HH on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Unless they are straight out lying and its actually going to leave them liable,i cant see why they dont release the results. Simplest way to prove they are above board.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:38 am

The stadium surface takes another syndesmosis victim. Essendon's David Zaharakis is the latest in an increasing line of lower leg injuries sustained at the stadium
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am

Fat Side wrote:The stadium surface takes another syndesmosis victim. Essendon's David Zaharakis is the latest in an increasing line of lower leg injuries sustained at the stadium

It's a bit like the bad old days of the Grassless Knoll at Docklands.

I guess it's not unexpected that it might take time to get a surface to it's best possible condition, but it is getting very costly. Feel for Zaharakis then - even though he plays for the (pthtah) Scum, he was a notable player who stood up to James Hird over the drugs scandal.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby FXD on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Someone posted on the Perth subreddit the demo works at Subi.

Let me set the scene here. Grand Final, playing Collingwood, we’re down by five goals. I think you [Greg Williams]s know what happened.
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles