Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby jourgo on Wed May 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Mr Q wrote:
jourgo wrote:To be truthful Q, I don't have a dog in this fight. I drink more mid-strength now than I do full strength and I rarely drink at games. When I do, I don't know the last time I had more than maybe 3 cups. Its the principle that irks me. A minority fucking it up for everyone else gets me dark and that's what this is.

That's the point I'm making - it's a minority, but it's not the people making the decisions, it's the minority of (usually) men who liquor up and turn into arseholes.

Of course, some people don't need the liquor. But that's another story.

And the point I'm making is I don't believe mid strength beer makes an objective difference to the dickhead-alcohol equilibrium. Beer may be bloating for you (and me), but I'm sure we've both been stupefied by the amount of beer some blokes can drink in a short period of time. And you've said it yourself in not quite so many words - a determined dickhead can't be stopped from being a dickhead. I simply object to everybody else being put out in the pursuit of dickhead-taming - especially when the measures being taken most likely make no difference.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 am

Has anyone else noticed that the stadium has no control over the queues to get to the turnstiles pre-game?

I've noticed at Gate D (near the new bridge) that there is usually a 150m line waiting to get to the gates, yet a lot of people just decide to walk into the line at the front. This is really fucking arsehole behavior - if you didn't get there in time to get in, you don't get to queue jump people waiting patiently in turn.

I emailed the stadium management about it, but got exactly no response.

I would like to say if anyone is doing that, you're an arsehole. Other people wait in the queue patiently, you're no more important and don't get to cut in front. Let me reiterate: fucking arseholes. I have about the same amount of respect for you that Andrew Gaff would get in the Freo changerooms right now. Don't fucking queue jump.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am

Mr Q wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the stadium has no control over the queues to get to the turnstiles pre-game?

I've noticed at Gate D (near the new bridge) that there is usually a 150m line waiting to get to the gates, yet a lot of people just decide to walk into the line at the front. This is really fucking arsehole behavior - if you didn't get there in time to get in, you don't get to queue jump people waiting patiently in turn.

I would like to say if anyone is doing that, you're an arsehole. Other people wait in the queue patiently, you're no more important and don't get to cut in front. Let me reiterate: fucking arseholes. I have about the same amount of respect for you that Andrew Gaff would get in the Freo changerooms right now. Don't fucking queue jump.

reminds me when at traffic lights, queue of cars lining up to turn right and you get the common dickhead pulling up and indicating wanting to be let in. FUCK OFF.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:36 am

Mr Q wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the stadium has no control over the queues to get to the turnstiles pre-game?

How do you combat that though? You could put in an extra long cow-chute at the gates, but you'd probably still have the same problem.

Are the wait times in the queue particularly long at gate D? I ask because although I've only been to 4 games so far this year I've entered through the same gate each time (E, nearest the bus port), ranging from an hour down to 15 minutes before the start of play and haven't walked through thinking the wait was particularly long. And yeah there was the requisite number of queue jumpers and yeah you want to pull them aside and ask what makes them so important that they need to get in ahead of everyone else.
I got a fever.
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby FXD on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:01 pm

I found the same shit happening in the queues for the buses. After the Richmond game I became quite belligerent with the baby-boomer queue jumpers who thought they didn't have to line up like everyone else. Got into it with a bloke who I had to stand next to as the line shuffled along because he didn't see any problem with just pitching up to the middle of the line. Dickhead.
http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:03 pm

More than 57000 there yesterday. Awesome atmosphere.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Totally agree with this. I use Gate D as well.
And will add: the design of the gate makes it many times worse than it needs to be. Once the queue finally reaches the gate area, the first thing you reach is the "Express Lane" for people with no bags, which therefore attracts a lot of people, but which moves at glacial speed purely because there are only 2 barcode scanners at the end of it! Should be at least 6 available to that lane, because that bottleneck holds up everyone else as well.
There are heaps of barcode scanners, and simply re-sizing the express lane, and re-aligning the way the queue reaches the fenced area, would have the queue moving far more quickly and therefore it would never become 100m long in the first place, and even if it did, it would be moving quickly enough for selfish arseholes to hopefully realise that acting like a normal equal person won't cost them 5 minutes of their invaluable time anyway.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

jourgo wrote:Are the wait times in the queue particularly long at gate D? I ask because although I've only been to 4 games so far this year I've entered through the same gate each time (E, nearest the bus port), ranging from an hour down to 15 minutes before the start of play and haven't walked through thinking the wait was particularly long. And yeah there was the requisite number of queue jumpers and yeah you want to pull them aside and ask what makes them so important that they need to get in ahead of everyone else.

Not particularly long, but queue jumping is always something that gets people angry, and you don't want to get people angry before entering a sporting event.

Some day, someone's going to say something snide to one of the cockwombles jumping the queue, and the cockwomble's going to be the sort who's looking for a fight because they're entitled and a dick at the same time.

If you can't get people through as quick as they arrive, then you need to ensure there's proper controls so shit doesn't go wrong.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:34 pm

I've only entered by gates a b and c so not sure about D and E. I've had minimal waiting times, but other than the Essendon game I've arrived about an hour before the game so I guess at those times I wouldn't be fighting much of a crowd anyways. Essendon Game I battled getting t my seat before the teams were introduced, but still had minimal issue with waiting times. I wouldn't have thought there be much traffic at D and E though seeing how far they are from the train lines.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 am

Gate D gets most of the people who arrive at the bus station, many of the people who walk from Crown, and everyone who comes over the Matagarup Bridge. Plus most of the people who spend pre-game at the Camfield, the food vans, the playground, etc. - i.e. people who have all arrived at the stadium earlier but all head for the gate once it gets close to bouncedown.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:02 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:I've only entered by gates a b and c so not sure about D and E. I've had minimal waiting times, but other than the Essendon game I've arrived about an hour before the game so I guess at those times I wouldn't be fighting much of a crowd anyways. Essendon Game I battled getting t my seat before the teams were introduced, but still had minimal issue with waiting times. I wouldn't have thought there be much traffic at D and E though seeing how far they are from the train lines.

I havent had an issue at Gates B and C but came over the bridge for the first time on Sunday and saw the lines at that end of the ground and was surprised.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Gate D gets most of the people who arrive at the bus station, many of the people who walk from Crown, and everyone who comes over the Matagarup Bridge. Plus most of the people who spend pre-game at the Camfield, the food vans, the playground, etc. - i.e. people who have all arrived at the stadium earlier but all head for the gate once it gets close to bouncedown.

Righteo. Kinda surprising that gate D gets the majority of bus passengers. I'd have thought gate E was closer - certainly feels closer when I get off the bus - but then where your seats are located would have some bearing on which way you head.

I'll make a point of using gate D in a couple weeks to try and get some sort of comparison.

And Q, I take your point about processing people through the gates as quick as they arrive. As I said, at gate E I think its about as good as you could expect - but its not like you don't break stride from the moment you get off the bus and being someone who doesn't take shit into the ground and always looks to use the express lanes, I'm not sure they're effectively any quicker than the other lanes - and that's almost certainly down to volumes.

I'll say too, I am somewhat impressed with the efficiency and relative comfort of bus transport to and from the ground. I get on the bus at Vahland Ave in Willetton and haven't had to wait more than two minutes for a bus to arrive. Its early enough in the route that I get a seat too. Then when leaving the ground, I've either gone straight onto the first bus or only had to wait in the queue for one cycle. It is - at least for me - a vastly better option than being sardined into a train.
I got a fever.
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm

farmer joe wrote:I havent had an issue at Gates B and C but came over the bridge for the first time on Sunday and saw the lines at that end of the ground and was surprised.

Actually the lines at Gate D seem to be as a result of the bridge opening - I noted them before the Bulldogs game, and again before the Derby. Prior to that, it was no problem.

The people coming off the bridge don't seem to see the line - I can understand that - it needs to be addressed, but I can see why they wouldn't know it's there as it points back to the station instead.

Then there are the cockwombles who are coming from the train/bus station, and walk past the quite clearly visible line to the front. They should be told "fuck off back to the back of the line, and hey, now 50 more people have joined it, so you're even further back than you were before".

jourgo wrote:Righteo. Kinda surprising that gate D gets the majority of bus passengers. I'd have thought gate E was closer - certainly feels closer when I get off the bus - but then where your seats are located would have some bearing on which way you head.

The city buses (661) now being a loop that runs to the western end of the bridge will have been a big cause of that. And it seems a lot of people aren't smart enough to walk around the stadium to the nearest gate to their seats rather than just enter at the first big gate they see.
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:44 pm

farmer joe wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:I've only entered by gates a b and c so not sure about D and E. I've had minimal waiting times, but other than the Essendon game I've arrived about an hour before the game so I guess at those times I wouldn't be fighting much of a crowd anyways. Essendon Game I battled getting t my seat before the teams were introduced, but still had minimal issue with waiting times. I wouldn't have thought there be much traffic at D and E though seeing how far they are from the train lines.

I havent had an issue at Gates B and C but came over the bridge for the first time on Sunday and saw the lines at that end of the ground and was surprised.

What is the bridge like? I usually train up, but I am taking a friends kid with me to the Melbourne game and am looking at using the bridge just to make it as much of an experience for him as possible. I usually enter thru gate B, but sit between C and D (sorry Q, but makes it the easiest entry point for me, rather than walking around the ground, then away from the ground to the gate, that said I'm an hour before the game, so I'm hardly the cause of any serious congestion...)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
What is the bridge like? I usually train up, but I am taking a friends kid with me to the Melbourne game and am looking at using the bridge just to make it as much of an experience for him as possible. I usually enter thru gate B, but sit between C and D (sorry Q, but makes it the easiest entry point for me, rather than walking around the ground, then away from the ground to the gate, that said I'm an hour before the game, so I'm hardly the cause of any serious congestion...)

The bridge is fine. I use the 661 to get to the game and it takes you right near the bridge on the East Perth side. The walk across is really easy and there's lots of police and Transperth staff around. At the end of games, it actually seems like more people are interested in walking into East Perth or heading towards Trinity than hopping back onto the 661.

I try to get to games about two hours before bounce down to have a drink at the River Room. At that time, Gate D is fine. I should note there is a special line for BankWest Club members so maybe some of Q's queue jumpers are BankWest folk? Anyway, I've never had a problem with Gate D.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles