West Coast v Hawthorn
Game Focus

The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: The Everlasting Stadium Thread.

Postby Pinion King on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 pm

HH wrote:Took the shuttle bus into Perth Stadium today from the Elizabeth Quay station. Absolutely easy and seamless experience.

Didn't have any issues today either. Caught the express from Butler to PS and the express out from PS.

They did run out of food though, and the pizza oven broke on the south side.

They are short staffed so queues for food and getting into the stadium were stupidly long.

Back there again on Thursday. Let's see how it goes.

You do have to get there with plenty of time, last minute walk-ins that were easy at Subi won't work too well at PS. I got there about 30mins before the game and the line to the gate was 100 meters long.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Dolls19 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi all,

We will be traveling from Sa for round 1 at the new stadium, well hopefully if we can get tickets ha ha !
Just wondering where is the best area to stay to have easy travel to the new stadium. I have googled but it keeps coming up with accom near the old ground.
Any ideas or tips? Please :-)

Cheers in advance :-)
Dolls19
Rookie

Postby wce1293 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm

We went in for the cricket yesterday. We had to drive straight there from Albany so our plan was to park near Canning Bridge in Applecross and catch the 659 bus (dedicated stadium bus). When we arrived, there were about 30 irate looking people waiting and one lady said the third bus in a row had just driven straight past them and wouldn't stop as it was already full. I was happy to wait a little while thinking Transperth would be on to it, and it wouldn't be long until an empty bus came along, but my husband has no patience for such things. We got back in the car and drove to Vic Park and parked over near Autoclassic and walked from there. We passed all the bus stops along Canning Hwy with crowds of people looking very pissed off. It's a fair hike from Vic Park, especially when hot, but doable and would be a nice walk in cooler weather. As we arrived at the stadium we spotted a couple of the 659 buses arriving only half full, so they must have caught up. Ideally we'll get to events way earlier than this so probably won't have the bus trouble - it's just that we left Albany at 5.30am to get there this time, so time was tight.
Also, friends got dropped off, right outside the main entrance. Their driver planned on going in as far as they were allowed and no-one stopped them.....

The footpath that we used on the Stadium Open Day (along the main road that cuts between Crown and the Stadium) was closed and all the people walking were re-routed around along the river which made it a longer walk past where the pedestrian bridge is going. Security check queue took about a minute then we walked straight in. This was about 20 mins before the cricket started.
All in all, a good experience. We drank a bit, which was pricey and the lines were so long for food, we just didn't bother buying food. Friends gave us a sandwich then after the cricket we went in to Vic Park for dinner. I will pack snacks for the footy rather than queue up. When it was my buy, the bars near us had very long lines, so I wandered around the first level and found one that had no customers -walked straight up, no waiting. My husband went up to the Sky Bar on level 5 to show some people and he said the queues up there were also much shorter (for both food and drinks).

Ladies' toilets were a breeze, walked straight in every time with NO WAITING! I don't remember EVER being able to walk straight in to a cubicle without waiting at Subi.
My husband complained the men were queuing up and I just laughed.

OUR FOOTY SEATS: Just as a point of interest, I kept my eye on the sun and our allocated footy seats. We're in Block 143, row 14. The roof ends right above our seats (our choice) so we'll be in the sun (but not looking directly into it) until just after quarter time on day games. I know the sun is lower in Winter so it should be fine.

The poor people sitting up the Eastern End (the train station end) were looking straight into the full sun until just before the game ended. Must have been intolerable as lots of people left those seats and moved around the stadium looking for shade later in the day. Even though it was reserved seating, people were allowed to move around wherever they wanted. Not sure we'll be allowed to do this at the footy.

All in all, very happy, not sure how it will go this Thursday for the Scorchers though. I just checked the Transperth Journey Planner and there are no dedicated stadium buses as an option.
Might have to drive/walk again.
wce1293
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Dolls19 wrote:Hi all,

We will be traveling from Sa for round 1 at the new stadium, well hopefully if we can get tickets ha ha !
Just wondering where is the best area to stay to have easy travel to the new stadium. I have googled but it keeps coming up with accom near the old ground.

I would suggest accomodation in the city and get the shuttle buses from Elizabeth Quay Bus Station (I'd avoid the shuttle trains from Perth Station, I think they'll be awful). Or you *could* just stay at Crown and dawdle across - would certainly be the easiest option, though definitely not the cheapest.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bigbird on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Dolls19 wrote:Hi all,

I would suggest accomodation in the city and get the shuttle buses from Elizabeth Quay Bus Station (I'd avoid the shuttle trains from Perth Station, I think they'll be awful). Or you *could* just stay at Crown and dawdle across - would certainly be the easiest option, though definitely not the cheapest.

Also some accommodation options along Gt. Eastern Hwy within walking distance, but I'm with Mr Q - city is your best bet as you will be central and have everything you want on your doorstep.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Scott Lycett, Tom Barrass and Jonathon Giles - the big guys have landed.

Proud 2016 sponsor of Nobody. Because I couldn't find the thread. :-(
Proud 2015 sponsor of Scott Lycett. The future has arrived.
Bigbird
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Pinion King wrote:Didn't have any issues today either. Caught the express from Butler to PS and the express out from PS.

They did run out of food though, and the pizza oven broke on the south side.

They are short staffed so queues for food and getting into the stadium were stupidly long.

Back there again on Thursday. Let's see how it goes.

You do have to get there with plenty of time, last minute walk-ins that were easy at Subi won't work too well at PS. I got there about 30mins before the game and the line to the gate was 100 meters long.

Yes, they ran out of Alby lager where I was at so had to go with the Summer Finn for that round.

The queue in was long but it did move fast for such a long queue.

Yes, Thursday will be the real test with a crowd that will probably exceed the 53,000 that went to the ODI and peak hour traffic to contend with as well.

There were plenty of helpful and friendly Transperth staff, stadium ushers and visible security. So it astounds me how the streaker got through. Still it was a good laugh.

I saw Simmo there with his three kids. Also said hi to Jako who was there with his son.

It's going to be so good watching the footy there. Can't wait.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Dolls19 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 am

Thankyou all so much for your suggestions, that's exactly the info I needed to help.
I wish I could afford the crown, looks amazing! I think the city is the go, as you guys mentioned it's nice and close to everything.

Thanks heaps :-)
Dolls19
Rookie

Postby Fat Side on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
Mr Q wrote:
No, all they've done is run a couple of extra trains as the shuttles. Which have had to cope with up to 14,000 people, not 40,000+. Notably they didn't run the direct trains from Mandurah pre-game on a weekday

They have not had to withdraw or reduce peak hour services to do this.

Once the bridge is in place, the issue will be resolved.

You have a lot more faith in this bridge than I do.

I think we will see enhancements into the future with regards access in and out of the stadium. It looks like McGowan is in discussions with Perth Racing regarding access to limited parking on Belmont Park and the bridge will open. McGowan reckons work will start on the Thornlie to Cockburn line which will give easier egress from the stadium to those living in the Canning Vale, Thornlie and Cockburn to Mandurah areas. Transperth will iron out any teething problems and we will end up with a world class stadium with excellent access for those attending events there.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Im on a Joondalup/Mandurah train at the moment. 3 cars not it's normal 6.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 pm

So, by all accounts, transport was hassle free:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perth ... b88731984z

This would certainly concur with the views of my colleagues who went to the game.

Well done Transperth and this bodes well for the future.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Yep, everything seemed to be moving very smoothly. To and from the stadium no problems at all.

Stadium seemed to have made a few changes to a few procedures and everything seemed a lot smoother.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 am

Pinion King wrote:Yep, everything seemed to be moving very smoothly. To and from the stadium no problems at all.

Stadium seemed to have made a few changes to a few procedures and everything seemed a lot smoother.

And, the game was over by the 10th over of the Scorchers' innings resulting in people leaving early.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby FXD on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Get your commemorative Second Game of AFL Footy at Optus Stadium limited edition guernsey here.

http://wceguernseys.tk
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Copy cats.

I can understand why we did Subi. Why on Earth would you do one for PS?

Maybe they are celebrating the only time they will ever sell out the ground. If they do manage to sell it out.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 am

Freo Woman sell out with 54000 tickets and only 41000 show up.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles