Game Focus

Ahead to season 2022: Discussion

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Ahead to season 2022: Discussion

Postby Pinion King on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Ainsworth, Will Collins (mid season draft) and Ben Johnson are the next group to have been delisted.

Having a bit of a cleanout.

That's 7 so far

We are making room for a big draft haul.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Favonius Aquila on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Hopefully a chance to secure some local long-term prospects for the club - a lot of WA players seem to he very highly rated.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/670097/wa-set-for-bumper-draft-crop-after-combine-list-revealed
Favonius Aquila
Regular

Postby MelbourneBased on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:46 am

Interesting article on Fox about Salary Squeeze at West Coast

[url]https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/west-coast-eagles/afl-news-2021-west-coast-eagles-shannon-hurn-josh-kennedy-contracts-playing-on-in-2022-list-changes-tom-morris/news-story/9a57de16805be5195605de85856ef1c3
[/url]

Considering only NicNats contract is up in 22..... this issue won't go away for a couple of years (unless there is a Covid Salary Reset) and therefore they may have to consider trading one of the top player on a good contracts and contributing to their pay for a couple of years.

Putting aside the untouchable Nic Nat, the other players on good contracts are: Yeo, Gaff, Kelly, McGovern, Darling

I don't think many teams are looking for a McGovern style footballer and Darling is needed (with Kennedy on his likely last year).

That leaves Kelly, Yeo and Gaff. One of these three could be moved on and possibly be covered. two moving on would mean a complete a rebuild.

The best outcome would be for Gaff to be moved on, considering the length of his contract. But, it is now a hard sell to move from Perth to Melbourne (how do you sell the positives of constant lockdowns) I can't see Yeo moving from West Coast (but then again he did ruffle a few feathers this year with his on field attitude).

Therefore that leaves Kelly and he would make a good fit into Freo's team if Cerra leaves. Of course that assumes his knee is ok... otherwise it may be a period of treading water until the 2021 draftees start showing their abilities.
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Nisbett has said Brander is on the table.

Geelong has always been interested. A straight swap for Clark would be nice.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm

Pinion King wrote:Nisbett has said Brander is on the table.

I don't want to get banned from the site for swearing, but Geelong are a pack of Gregs. Clarke ironically, given my nic, can rot in Geelong if we have to give overs. I don't want any deals with Geelong or the Scum given their trade history.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 am

Pinion King wrote:Nisbett has said Brander is on the table.

I think you meant to type Quinton Narkle. Or maybe both:)

Brander; Never have we so mismanaged such a talented player. And we could have simply swapped him for Kelly if we didn't have a realistic development plan for him. Instead of flushing our future down the drain giving the cats all our draft picks for two year. If Brander goes I wish him all the best; deserves better. No wonder the team is in disarray. Who would want to come to the club knowing that we play really unfit stars on big pay packets over fit young talent.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Clark is looking like Freo, and Narkle has re-signed.

Apparently, Sam Petrevski-Seton has requested a trade to us. Tempted as long as it doesn't cost much. Swap for Brander maybe.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Favonius Aquila on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:52 pm

I don't understand why the Eagles didn't continue with Brander's development as a key forward for the post-Kennedy/Darling era. I'm pretty sure that's why he was drafted. We're not likely to be contending for any silverware for the next few years - seems a bit short-sighted to me.

Kennedy: 34, 196cm, 100kg
Darling: 29, 191cm, 95kg

Brander: 22, 196cm, 92kg
Allen: 22, 194cm, 91kg
Favonius Aquila
Regular

Postby MelbourneBased on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:26 pm

Great win by Melbourne... a traditional win. Elite mid fielders in Petracca and Oliver and hard nuts in Brayshaw and VIney. With Gawn as a top notch ruckman (supported by a nimble agile Luke Jackson). Besides Jackson all been in the system for 5 plus years. All in the age zone for another tilt and should have the impetus to go again for a premiership at their home ground

Melbourne play our traditional style (unlike RIchmond and Doggies kaos football) ... but they show the benefit of hunger, fitness and midfielders who are efficient with both hand and foot. plus Salem rebounding of the half back line.

Therefore my positive thinking for the Eagles in 2020 is that they definitely should improve their fitness plus our Key Forwards and Backs line up well against any other Team. We also have the potential x-factors of RIoli and possibly the speed of Sam Petrevski-Seton (and hopefully him coming with a rejuvenated mindset)

But the keen concern is the midfield and I am not sure that will be resolved in 2022 by having a pick in the top 10. Especially when someone like Matt Rowell did not last 2020 and that occurred prior to two Covid impacted seasons for the draftees.
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby DALBY on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:17 am

Pinion King wrote:Clark is looking like Freo, and Narkle has re-signed.

Apparently, Sam Petrevski-Seton has requested a trade to us. Tempted as long as it doesn't cost much. Swap for Brander maybe.

Way too much, I fell we will regret this decision to let Brander go.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am

MelbourneBased wrote:Great win by Melbourne... a traditional win. Elite mid fielders in Petracca and Oliver and hard nuts in Brayshaw and VIney. With Gawn as a top notch ruckman (supported by a nimble agile Luke Jackson). Besides Jackson all been in the system for 5 plus years. All in the age zone for another tilt and should have the impetus to go again for a premiership at their home ground

Melbourne play our traditional style (unlike RIchmond and Doggies kaos football) ... but they show the benefit of hunger, fitness and midfielders who are efficient with both hand and foot. plus Salem rebounding of the half back line.

Therefore my positive thinking for the Eagles in 2020 is that they definitely should improve their fitness plus our Key Forwards and Backs line up well against any other Team. We also have the potential x-factors of RIoli and possibly the speed of Sam Petrevski-Seton (and hopefully him coming with a rejuvenated mindset)

But the keen concern is the midfield and I am not sure that will be resolved in 2022 by having a pick in the top 10. Especially when someone like Matt Rowell did not last 2020 and that occurred prior to two Covid impacted seasons for the draftees.

Totally agree, big surprise for me was Bayley Fritsch? Kicking 6 goals was a great effort.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 pm

Jarod Cameron has been de-listed with still one season on his contract.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Pokitren on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm

DALBY wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Clark is looking like Freo, and Narkle has re-signed.

Way too much, I fell we will regret this decision to let Brander go.

I agree. It would have been better to keep this man. But does the coaching staff always make the right decisions? We'll find out in time.
Pokitren
Rookie

Postby MelbourneBased on Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Sam Petrevski-Seton is a good pick-up Soon to be 24... surely he will knuckle down and not be just using West Coast to pay for his removalist costs. But I can't find anything about the length of his contract.

The lack of interest in Jarrod Brander in interesting. Maybe he wishes he had replay his last game and use his left foot (twice). Hopefully he gets a contract extension and he gets the fire under his belly to work on aspects of his game.

I enjoy this off season and hopefully 2022 is a "Come to Jesus" moment for West Coast Players, Coach and Administration. Google searches still pop up "Former recruiter Matt Rendell unloads on ‘lazy, comfortable, selfish, unfit West Coast Eagles’.

Continuing the religious theme..... please may there be a quality mid at draft pick 10 and "diamond in rough" mids available at 29 and 35 ... Amen
MelbourneBased
Regular

Postby Favonius Aquila on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:51 am

Brander just needs to be played in the right spot. He was drafted as a key forward and, since our forward line has Kennedy & Darling (& Allen), he's been lining up on the wing. He's done OK, but we really need to give the guy time in the forward line.

Kennedy hasn't committed yet and has only one more year at best. Darling isn't that young and has three or four seasons to go. Who will be our key forwards then? I'm suggesting Allen and Brander. I love Kennedy, but it wouldn't be the worst thing for us in the long term for him to retire and give Allen & Brander an opportunity to develop.

Compare the pairs:

Kennedy: 34, 196cm, 100kg
Darling: 29, 191cm, 95kg

Brander: 22, 196cm, 92kg
Allen: 22, 194cm, 91kg
Favonius Aquila
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles