11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Chick and the Herald Sun: no class.

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Chick and the Herald Sun: no class.

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Look, I agree. I don't rate Chicky's behaviour one bit.

However, I reckon there must have been a silence clause in any financial agreement between he and the Herald Sun for when the article was dropped. The fact they sat on his story for 4 years waiting for the most disruptive time to drop it furthers my anger at them.

Sure, he's to blame, but the Herald Sun are by far the worst. No further better example than what they're doing with James Hird's family now and setting up camp outside his family home. I hope their photographer, Nicole Garmston, is feeling really good about herself right now.

Scumbag organisation.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Tony Evans Rules wrote:Scumbag organisation.

Agreed.

Journalism is now all about clickbait and the trash that people read. Sad world we live in at times. Truth, respect, quality and commitment are words that the media and bloggers in Australia dont get. The HS are part of that but they are far from the only ones.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

farmer joe wrote:Chick is no angel.

That much is obvious but its kind of irrelevent. Once you get your head around the fact of the injury from there its not hard to image a scenario of the tough footballer playing through pain only weeks after, not having an MRI and not being properly treated. The club punts him out the door at seasons end and removes assistance believing his complaints are the actions of a junkie. Subsequently in the 10 years thereafter whether Chicks obvious mental impairment came from a stroke or drugs or whatever doesn't really matter. Still understand why he'd be pissed.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby farmer joe on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:16 pm

WCE06 wrote:
farmer joe wrote:Chick is no angel.

That much is obvious but its kind of irrelevent. Once you get your head around the fact of the injury from there its not hard to image a scenario of the tough footballer playing through pain only weeks after, not having an MRI and not being properly treated. The club punts him out the door at seasons end and removes assistance believing his complaints are the actions of a junkie. Subsequently in the 10 years thereafter whether Chicks obvious mental impairment came from a stroke or drugs or whatever doesn't really matter. Still understand why he'd be pissed.

I was following the Big Footy stuff before your post so was aware that Chick was on there having his say. To me it highlights bigger issues and we go back to whole "drug" culture at the Eagles and how it was able to occur. You have to ask how Nisbett has survived...Chick is highlighting what a shit of a bloke Nisbett is.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eliot Mess on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:29 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Eliot Mess wrote:No: don't pick two words out of a diagnostic phrase to make it mean what you want: "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" means an emotional trauma; it has nothing to do with physical trauma. It very often means there was no physical injury at all.

Like your store is being held up and your co-worker gets his head blown off, and you see the whole thing, just before the cops intervene and save *you*.

See? A frightening scenario is THE required element. It MUST feature.

And with no fear, or genuine lack of awareness of what happened = no emotional trauma.

You'll have to help me with the timing of the stroke relative to the hit.
Was it very soon after or two years later?

Do see that the hit did not look like it was on the right neck?

Are you serious? The bloke was laid out on the floor for minutes. The fear of his life going bye-bye on the field isn't enough to trigger it?
Easy on the histrionic tone: How do you know he was frightened? Have you heard of people getting frightened after an unexpected hit?
Any one of Beau Waters victims had time and vision to see the horror of what was coming. Chick didn't. It was just bang.
Hear much about any of Beau's victims developing a mental illness? I haven't.

Being told weeks later that he could have died from the hit couldn't have hit home? His own mortality being shown to him in black and white... Yes, that is a scary idea... but it's not the same thing. He deserves compassion and support regardless.

Nahh, he actually got hit so he couldn't suffer from PTSD, it's gotta be from the threat of being hit.
You're slightly missing it. You *can* have both, and both need to happen at the time. Not from realising how you could have died later on.

I'm all for your line of questioning as far as whether it was that actual hit or not, [If it wasn't, where's the possibility of a life-threatening cognition?]

Image It's on the left on this view. Isn't he claiming it was his right carotid that got damaged?

but questioning whether he has PTSD because he was actually hit?
Or because he wasn't aware of a hit coming... really poor form.
[ Can't you see that both points directly matter? He's claiming that that *particular event* caused it all. So, he needs to have had enough time to have had fear before or during the hit. Everyone expects a blow in the throat to feel terrible. But you know what's happened and you know why it feels terrible. Why would there be fear? The only way I can think of is: say if he couldn't breathe at all. ]

There is already enough males have to go through in order to get themselves looked at for any kind of mental issue, questioning by the public shouldn't be another...

No one's denying male mental illness. Settle down. All PTSD is is an anxiety disorder. You know anyone who's anxious a lot? Do they work? Probably they do. If you think about it, the main issue is whether it is mild, moderate or highly disruptive. Just spouting the acronym "PTSD" doesn't mean anything much on its own.

Before jumping to conclusions, we better first find out where he got the idea he had "PTSD". Because by its very nature, it's not something anyone who actually has it can realise. Because the essence of it is resisting feelings about what happened.

Finally, let us be civil in our discussion approach.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 am

Eliot Mess wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Eliot Mess wrote:No: don't pick two words out of a diagnostic phrase to make it mean what you want: "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" means an emotional trauma; it has nothing to do with physical trauma. It very often means there was no physical injury at all.

Like your store is being held up and your co-worker gets his head blown off, and you see the whole thing, just before the cops intervene and save *you*.

See? A frightening scenario is THE required element. It MUST feature.

And with no fear, or genuine lack of awareness of what happened = no emotional trauma.

You'll have to help me with the timing of the stroke relative to the hit.
Was it very soon after or two years later?

Do see that the hit did not look like it was on the right neck?

Are you serious? The bloke was laid out on the floor for minutes. The fear of his life going bye-bye on the field isn't enough to trigger it?
Easy on the histrionic tone: How do you know he was frightened? Have you heard of people getting frightened after an unexpected hit?
Any one of Beau Waters victims had time and vision to see the horror of what was coming. Chick didn't. It was just bang.
Hear much about any of Beau's victims developing a mental illness? I haven't.

Being told weeks later that he could have died from the hit couldn't have hit home? His own mortality being shown to him in black and white... Yes, that is a scary idea... but it's not the same thing. He deserves compassion and support regardless.

Nahh, he actually got hit so he couldn't suffer from PTSD, it's gotta be from the threat of being hit.
You're slightly missing it. You *can* have both, and both need to happen at the time. Not from realising how you could have died later on.

I'm all for your line of questioning as far as whether it was that actual hit or not, [If it wasn't, where's the possibility of a life-threatening cognition?]

Image It's on the left on this view. Isn't he claiming it was his right carotid that got damaged?

but questioning whether he has PTSD because he was actually hit?
Or because he wasn't aware of a hit coming... really poor form.
[ Can't you see that both points directly matter? He's claiming that that *particular event* caused it all. So, he needs to have had enough time to have had fear before or during the hit. Everyone expects a blow in the throat to feel terrible. But you know what's happened and you know why it feels terrible. Why would there be fear? The only way I can think of is: say if he couldn't breathe at all. ]

There is already enough males have to go through in order to get themselves looked at for any kind of mental issue, questioning by the public shouldn't be another...

No one's denying male mental illness. Settle down. All PTSD is is an anxiety disorder. You know anyone who's anxious a lot? Do they work? Probably they do. If you think about it, the main issue is whether it is mild, moderate or highly disruptive. Just spouting the acronym "PTSD" doesn't mean anything much on its own.

Before jumping to conclusions, we better first find out where he got the idea he had "PTSD". Because by its very nature, it's not something anyone who actually has it can realise. Because the essence of it is resisting feelings about what happened.

Finally, let us be civil in our discussion approach.

PTSD is a form of depression usually following a traumatic event(s). The onset could be an accumulation of regular exposure to traumatic events (emergency service workers, soldiers) or triggered by a single event (violent robbery, car crash, sex assault). To simply say it's an anxiety disorder is naive and disrespectful to those enduring this real mental health condition.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm

He needs help
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:22 pm

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west- ... 881343115z

Former West Coast Eagles player Daniel Chick has been fined a total of $900 for possessing methylamphetamine and drug paraphernalia.

Chick pleaded guilty to the charges and received his penalty in Perth Magistrates Court on Friday.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Thought I'd just throw this in here as an example of of poor journalism.

So, the Headline reads:
"Former St Kilda, North Melbourne midfielder Nick Dal Santo says he turned down offer to join West Coast"

What actually happened:
We were playing West Coast and David Wirrpanda asked a few questions post-game while shaking hands.

“I can’t remember the result, but David asked what I was doing the following year.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Thought I'd just throw this in here as an example of of poor journalism.

So, the Headline reads:
"Former St Kilda, North Melbourne midfielder Nick Dal Santo says he turned down offer to join West Coast"

What actually happened:
We were playing West Coast and David Wirrpanda asked a few questions post-game while shaking hands.

“I can’t remember the result, but David asked what I was doing the following year.

Pure click bait. That’s all.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles