11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Round 14: Eagles v Bombers

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Round 14: Eagles v Bombers

Postby Pinion King on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm

3 WA umpires have been named in an effort to stop WA crowd influenced free kicks.

Expect the game to be over umpired and Bombers to get a few free kicks.

I can see Schofield being named as the replacement for Barrass allowing McGovern to roam free.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:52 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Looks like we've dumped the youth policy for this one.
Brander out. With JK missing I thought he would be worth a second run.
Schofield and McInnes in.
No Petrucelle or Ainsworth or Partington or Allen.

After starting the year with a youth policy and being daring, I hope we don't (as a selection committee) go back into our timid little shells.

In general I was in favour of keeping Brander, but in this case I think with both key forwards out it was the right decision to go with experience. No criticism from me. I think we've done a great job this season of including youth where possible. Waterman + Rioli + Ryan = combined total of 27 games of experience.
Away from the forward line I was kinda hoping for some Petruccelle, but in reality his WAFL form doesn't justify it this week.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Bodhi wrote:"Eagles axe two and forgotten big man returns" ..."Eagles without their two big forwards" "Dom dumped again", and Essendon, well apparently
"Essendon have teething problems"...for Gods sake does anyone else get tired of the negative shit the VFL spew out on their website regards West Coast? It is like they do it to keep the crowd stirred up and pissed off.
No if's or but's we have to kick the Druggies Arse's big time and put them to the sword by 50. Mad as Hell!!!

Look, I am normally all for the "AFL has it out for us" stuff, but getting your undies in a twist over headlines? Which are true, we have dumped 2 players this week. Sheed has been noted as someone who isn't playing according to team rules. The media have headlines about this about other teams too.

With all the other stuff thrown against us, getting upset over something about true headlines is hardly worthwhile.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:

After starting the year with a youth policy and being daring, I hope we don't (as a selection committee) go back into our timid little shells.

In general I was in favour of keeping Brander, but in this case I think with both key forwards out it was the right decision to go with experience. No criticism from me. I think we've done a great job this season of including youth where possible. Waterman + Rioli + Ryan = combined total of 27 games of experience.
Away from the forward line I was kinda hoping for some Petruccelle, but in reality his WAFL form doesn't justify it this week.

Agree with your post. Petch Would be a good in as he is someone who does have some flare about him. But he is still a youngster and from his performances so far, he flashes in and out too often and considering where we are at with our team having a few underdone players and some players who aren't regular starters, it would be a huge risk playing him.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 pm

With no JK, this is now officially a danger game (on top of no Darls and Barrass).

Should have persisted with Brander in my view.

If it rains as predicted maybe it will just come down to good old fashioned wet weather footy.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:54 pm

The Bombers have a tall backline with Hooker, Hurley and Brown. We have McInnes and Waterman as talls and would expect one of the ruckmen to rest forward. They have Mckernan and Stringer, But Mckernan will have to backup in the Ruck. WCE have selected a tall back to bring in so that McGovern can get loose as an intercept player, so I would think Brander lost his spot to that. I thought he was going to spend more time behind the ball against the Swans. Anyway, if McKernan goes into the Ruck, McGovern could go forward. He's the only seasoned forward we have. i'm surprised Vardy didn't get a run.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Mead on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:31 pm

So disappointed with the Brander out.

Sydney at the SCG is about the worst game possible for a tall forward to debut in- there simply is not enough room for a third tall to have an impact or play a traditional leading tall game. We all knew that going in so why on earth give a kid an all but impossible assignment and then drop him?!

With Kennedy out this was a prime opportunity for a future forward line of Brand Water to play together, take responsibility for the forward line and see what they could deliver- after a extremely challenging debut, giving Brander another outing on a bigger ground with weaker midfield opposition and no one else in his way this was a prime opportunity to give him good exposure and a real chance to shine.

Instead we've shied away from the youth policy that has reaped rewards all year and gone with the safe old names and career b-listers.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bodhi on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:43 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:Look, I am normally all for the "AFL has it out for us" stuff, but getting your undies in a twist over headlines? Which are true, we have dumped 2 players this week. Sheed has been noted as someone who isn't playing according to team rules. The media have headlines about this about other teams too.

With all the other stuff thrown against us, getting upset over something about true headlines is hardly worthwhile.

Very true but i am a West Aussie living in the Victorian heartland.My Son supports Geelong and my Wife supports Essendon so sometimes you just gotta vent....Right?
Bodhi
Regular

Postby DALBY on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 am

Mead wrote:So disappointed with the Brander out.

Sydney at the SCG is about the worst game possible for a tall forward to debut in- there simply is not enough room for a third tall to have an impact or play a traditional leading tall game. We all knew that going in so why on earth give a kid an all but impossible assignment and then drop him?!

With Kennedy out this was a prime opportunity for a future forward line of Brand Water to play together, take responsibility for the forward line and see what they could deliver- after a extremely challenging debut, giving Brander another outing on a bigger ground with weaker midfield opposition and no one else in his way this was a prime opportunity to give him good exposure and a real chance to shine.

Instead we've shied away from the youth policy that has reaped rewards all year and gone with the safe old names and career b-listers.

Totally agree, Brander should not have been dropped.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 am

DALBY wrote:

I dunno, maybe a taste was enough and then get him to work on some skills. Like the tackling and the like. He can see and feel what a top grade finals like AFL is like and then take a mature look at the skills he needs to develop and work on it in the easier levels. I think the Schofield in is to give McGovern the chance to go forward. So I think he has lost his spot to McGovern, not McInnes as much.

The Kennedy Role is to run to the pack and get the ball down to Ryan, Cripps and Rioli. So McInnes will do this better with a bigger more mature body. The Darling Role was more of a foil to separate the defenders I thought. I've heard that coaches don't really watch where the ball is but rather concentrate on the field position of the players. So it's possible that Brander wasn't quite playing the role and needs to work on his running patterns.

I think Barass was missed more than the media played up because the defense did okay. Sheed is down on form at work, as am I, posting on this forum rather than getting some work done. It just feels like a slog at this time of year.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Bodhi on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:I dunno, maybe a taste was enough and then get him to work on some skills. Like the tackling and the like. He can see and feel what a top grade finals like AFL is like and then take a mature look at the skills he needs to develop and work on it in the easier levels.

I think you are right here, a sort of exposure to the "Big time" game. He looked way out of his depth. They cannot afford to drop this game because of the message it will send to the rest of the comp "They are vulnerable at home". This is a must win and Mcinnes is fearless and will get the ball down to the smaller forwards. I think they have got it right with what they have to work with. Glass half full? :D
Bodhi
Regular

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:

Agree with your post. Petch Would be a good in as he is someone who does have some flare about him. But he is still a youngster and from his performances so far, he flashes in and out too often and considering where we are at with our team having a few underdone players and some players who aren't regular starters, it would be a huge risk playing him.

This presents McInnes with a real opportunity to take a hold of a KPF. He's now likely to get a run at it for 2-3 weeks. It is his time to step up and show the footy world what he can do. I know the guy has talent, but has taken a long time to come on. It's now or never for McInnes. Brander was favoured last week and Vardy last year. Surely now he grabs this with both hands. I would love to see him take a few big marks and kick a few goals. If he can, we know that regardless of which KPF is out, we have a ready made replacement.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

DALBY wrote:

I am disappointed he has been dropped, but not surprised. Simpson mentioned during the week that our young inexperienced players are playing in the forward half. With JK out, the only experienced forwards are LeCras and Cripps. Somebody has to take Hurley and I agree that it is too big an ask of Brander. If JD or JK were in I'm sure he would be given another run, but not holding the number one KPF role as a 19 year old against hardened, seasoned KPD's. If nothing else, McInnes will demand Hurley/Hooker and that will provide opportunities for the Ryans/Riolis/LeCras etc and allows Waterman to run with some freedom.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 am

Fat Side wrote:
DALBY wrote:

I am disappointed he has been dropped, but not surprised. Simpson mentioned during the week that our young inexperienced players are playing in the forward half. With JK out, the only experienced forwards are LeCras and Cripps. Somebody has to take Hurley and I agree that it is too big an ask of Brander. If JD or JK were in I'm sure he would be given another run, but not holding the number one KPF role as a 19 year old against hardened, seasoned KPD's. If nothing else, McInnes will demand Hurley/Hooker and that will provide opportunities for the Ryans/Riolis/LeCras etc and allows Waterman to run with some freedom.

Agree, this could possibly be the best post I have read from you, keep up the good work.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am

Last time we played the Bombers (Etihad) they smashed us around the ball - beatings us by about 30 contested possessions and almost 100 uncontested possessions, including 50 uncontested marks. The classic 'keepies off' game style that we struggled against last year. losing by 61 points

Daniher kicked 5, Zaharakis got 31 and Merret got 37 against our Priddis, Mitchell, Vardy, McInnes midfield. None of our smalls had an impact - Mutimer, Lecca and Cripps going goal less.

A lot has changed, but that sort of a loss isn't a fluke - they obviously match up well against us.

Hutchings to Merret and Cripps to Saad need to be our major defensive roles. McGovern and Jetta need to find some form to give us some rebound out of defence other than from Hurn's boot and we need Ryan / Rioli / Lecca to really be dangerous otherwise we just won't kick a score.

Not nearly as confident as others on this forum...
CouchPotato
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles