Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



2009 - Melbourne

Going to a game interstate? Ticketing, how you're getting there etc.

Moderator: Mead

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby GrantleyBuffalo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Be Aggressive wrote:I really need some recommendations for restaurants and bars - I want to get a bit reckless this weekend. Pity there's no good gigs in Melbourne this week.

If you're after a place to go straight after the game, you can do a lot worse than the Corner Hotel in Swan St. 5 minutes walk from the 'G (past Punt Rd Oval, so you can yell at it), and it's big dining/socialising area upstairs where you can get good food and check out posters of all the awesome bands I've seen there :P

Olly wrote:Just buy general admission for about 10 bucks at the gate and sit anywhere you want (except for member areas). It's not like Subi :)

Ten bucks??? Not bloody likely ... you'd be lucky to get a hot dog for ten bucks!
Sincerest apologies if the above post didn't meet all criteria or lift the thread to an upper echelon of awesomeness.
User avatar
GrantleyBuffalo
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:37 am
Location: Why so serious?

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby Persian Ace on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Damn. I leave Melbourne (for NZ) a day before the game.

Have been wearing Blue & Gold proudly around the place. Surprising to see other fans around the place.
Unofficial Sponsor of the Will of Schofield
Image
"I fear God, and next to God I mostly fear them, that fear him not." - Saadi
User avatar
Persian Ace
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:17 pm
Location: The Empire

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby Sico 17 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:41 pm

GrantleyBuffalo wrote:
Be Aggressive wrote:I really need some recommendations for restaurants and bars - I want to get a bit reckless this weekend. Pity there's no good gigs in Melbourne this week.

If you're after a place to go straight after the game, you can do a lot worse than the Corner Hotel in Swan St. 5 minutes walk from the 'G (past Punt Rd Oval, so you can yell at it), and it's big dining/socialising area upstairs where you can get good food and check out posters of all the awesome bands I've seen there :P

Everytime I go to Melbourne I go to Papa Gino's in Lygon St. Good Italian food. Will probably go there before the Friday night game.

http://www.papaginos.com.au/menu.html
User avatar
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Plan A Deviant

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby jaxster on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:19 pm

MCG Game v Melbourne I would recommend General Admission down the Ponsford Stand (City end) of the ground. Will be heaps of seats for General Admin probably on all levels (Some Reserved seating Level 2) and you will be down near the race where the Eagles will come out.
Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of Government.
User avatar
jaxster
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 3:20 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby mysterio on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:58 am

Sico 17 wrote:
GrantleyBuffalo wrote:
Be Aggressive wrote:I really need some recommendations for restaurants and bars - I want to get a bit reckless this weekend. Pity there's no good gigs in Melbourne this week.

If you're after a place to go straight after the game, you can do a lot worse than the Corner Hotel in Swan St. 5 minutes walk from the 'G (past Punt Rd Oval, so you can yell at it), and it's big dining/socialising area upstairs where you can get good food and check out posters of all the awesome bands I've seen there :P

Everytime I go to Melbourne I go to Papa Gino's in Lygon St. Good Italian food. Will probably go there before the Friday night game.

http://www.papaginos.com.au/menu.html


Papa Gino's is my favourite restuarant in Melbourne. As you said, everytime in Melbourne i go there too. Their Bolognese pizza is the best :)

Was on Lygon St last night and went to restuarant next door to Papa Gino's as Papa Gino's was pretty much full and meals were well priced and decent servings. But plan to go back down Lygon St prob Monday night to go to Papa Gino's and get my Bolognese pizza!
User avatar
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 am
Location: 619

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby mysterio on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Also forgot to add Swanston Walk Cafe is a great little cafe. Great prices and decent servings, great place to go after a night game on Fri and Sat night!
User avatar
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 am
Location: 619

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby hendo1963 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:09 am

Returned from Melbourne last Wednesday,great trip.Wife,kids and I have had varying degree's of the flu since being home,nothing too debilitating though.
Saw Eagles v Melbourne,dissappointing result,and Collingwood v Essendon on Friday night,big crowd,good atmosphere,but have never been so cold in my life.
Would recommend Punthill Manhattan apartments,close to everything you need in Melbourne.


Tiger airways on the other hand,cheap but nasty.Flight over was delayed 3 hours which meant leaving Perth at 4.00am instead of 1.00 am.Not really a problem,when we arrived at the hotel at 10.00am we were able to check in straight away.
Now the return flight,we arrived at Melbourne airport at 3.00pm for a 5.00pm take-off.Delay after delay meant we lifted off at 12.30am next day.Instead of arriving in Perth at 7.00pm,we arrived around 3 in the morning.
You have no idea how hard it is to keep 2 kids,7 and 9 amused for nine hours in an airport terminal,without spendind a fortune.
All in all it was a good trip,kids had a ball,spent a fortune on clothes from markets and DFO,and saw alot more of the tourist spots than we did last year.
Would I fly Tiger again? Probably yes,flew with them to Melbourne last year,and had no problems at all.You get what you pay for i suppose.
User avatar
hendo1963
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: bunbury

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby Morsey on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:25 am

Always fly tiger lately.. New planes and yea they get delayed sometime but which airline doesnt...

Going over for the WCE/WB game.. Cant wait to go.. Catchin up with a couple mates and gonna have a few.. 8)

Anyone else goin over for the Doggies game??
BEAU WATERS = THE MAN THE LEGEND!

FREO DOCKERS - DOING NOTHING SINCE 1995 ;)

WEST COAST EAGLES
Premiers 1992 1994 2006

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9iSHYcm24
Morsey
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Geelong

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby tarz_009 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:57 am

hendo1963 wrote:Returned from Melbourne last Wednesday,great trip.Wife,kids and I have had varying degree's of the flu since being home,nothing too debilitating though.
Saw Eagles v Melbourne,dissappointing result,and Collingwood v Essendon on Friday night,big crowd,good atmosphere,but have never been so cold in my life.
Would recommend Punthill Manhattan apartments,close to everything you need in Melbourne.


Seriously how freaking cold was it?!?! Luckily it wasn't too cold for the rest of the trip.
Beau Waters for Captain!
User avatar
tarz_009
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby mysterio on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:19 pm

tarz_009 wrote:
hendo1963 wrote:Returned from Melbourne last Wednesday,great trip.Wife,kids and I have had varying degree's of the flu since being home,nothing too debilitating though.
Saw Eagles v Melbourne,dissappointing result,and Collingwood v Essendon on Friday night,big crowd,good atmosphere,but have never been so cold in my life.
Would recommend Punthill Manhattan apartments,close to everything you need in Melbourne.


Seriously how freaking cold was it?!?! Luckily it wasn't too cold for the rest of the trip.


Tell me about it. Had to get up at half time to walk round to keep warm and bought some chips to keep me warm. That was the coldest night over there, was at Essendon v Carlton the Friday before and was cold but not that cold. Overall weather wasnt too bad for Melbourne and not much rain in the 2 weeks i was there.

Overall though as always had a blast in Melbourne and cant wait to go back. Saying that the only time i ve gone to Melbourne and West Coast have won is the 2006 GF..... Think my record stands at 1 win 6 losses :lol:
User avatar
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 am
Location: 619

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby Morsey on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:19 am

Just about to board me plane to melbourne for the doggies game.. Hopefully the boys can get a win!

Put $20 on the eagles at $11...

Anyone else goin over??? Anyone goin to the game???

Meetup??
BEAU WATERS = THE MAN THE LEGEND!

FREO DOCKERS - DOING NOTHING SINCE 1995 ;)

WEST COAST EAGLES
Premiers 1992 1994 2006

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9iSHYcm24
Morsey
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Geelong

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby mysterio on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Morsey wrote:Just about to board me plane to melbourne for the doggies game.. Hopefully the boys can get a win!

Put $20 on the eagles at $11...

Anyone else goin over??? Anyone goin to the game???

Meetup??


Looks like the drinks are on you Morsey :D
User avatar
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 am
Location: 619

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby Max Power on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:06 pm

So, who's the Brisvegan bloke that I happened to run into at the bar by total coincidence at Transport in Melboune last week? Take a holiday Schwayne?
User avatar
Max Power
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:27 pm
Location: Gone fishin'

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby wceagles10 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Not quite the right thread to post this in [since it's related to next season], but I'm torn nonetheless. Pretty eager to get back to Melbourne next year, so I am currently matching up the AFL fixtures with my uni break. In short, the choice of games in Victoria I have are: Eagles vs Essendon, or Eagles vs Collingwood. Both games are at Etihad at night, so can't choose preferences from that. It's really about picking the lesser of two evils, since I'd sooner choose to go play in the middle of the freeway than be stuck at the same ground with a majority of either Essendon or Collingwood supporters.

So, I pose the question to all Vic based Eagles members on this site - which game [if any] do you think would be better to go to? I know the rivalry with Essendon is probably greater, but I've been to Eagles vs Essendon at Subi seated near the Essendon supporters area, and it was quite frankly a bit shit. At the same time, it'd be equally tough to be stuck with the toothless bogans. So hence, I'm torn.
User avatar
wceagles10
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:49 pm
Location: The Dark Side Of The Moon

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby jaxster on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Kinda like asking if you prefer to be hit over the head with a cricket bat or a baseball bat.
Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of Government.
User avatar
jaxster
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 3:20 pm
Location: Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to Travelling Eagles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest