Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2009 - Melbourne

Going to a game interstate? Ticketing, how you're getting there etc.

Moderator: Mead

2009 - Melbourne

Postby Sico 17 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Melbourne, Victoria
MCG - Games played here in 2009
Round 14 vs Melbourne – Saturday July 4 2:10pm
Tickets
Ticketek or Ph: 132 849
MCG Seating Plan: Try and get tickets in sections 29 to 36, especially for day games. This will stop you looking into the sun all day.
Getting to the ground
Walking - The MCG is walking distance from the centre of Melbourne.
By train - Richmond and Jolimont Stations are the nearest to the MCG. From the city, Hurstbridge and Epping line trains stop at Jolimont while Glen Waverley, Lilydale, Belgrave, Sandringham, Pakenham and Cranbourne line trains stop at Richmond.
By tram - From the city, catch the number 70 Wattle Park tram, the number 48 North Balwyn tram and the number 75 tram to East Burwood. All of these trams run along Flinders Street and pass by the MCG.

Etihad Stadium (fromerly Telstra Dome) - Games played here in 2009
Round 3 vs St Kilda – Saturday April 11 2:10pm
Round 10 vs Carlton – Friday May 29 7:40pm
Round 12 vs Richmond – Saturday June 13 7:10pm
Round 19 vs Western Bulldogs – Saturday August 8 2:10pm
Tickets
Ticketmaster or Ph: 1300 136 122
Telstra Dome Seating Plan: Try and get tickets at the Coventry End of the ground. In aisle 1 to 10 or aisle 39 to 48, especially for day games. This will stop you looking into the sun all day.
Getting to the ground
The Telstra Dome is walking distance from the centre of Melbourne.
To get the ground, you can also take a train to Southern Cross Station (Spencer Street), which is in the city loop, so most city trains will take you there.
The trams that run along Flinders Street (48, 70, 75) loop around the Dome going away from the city (they turn around out the back of TD). alternatively, get a train or tram (109 from Box Hill, via Victoria and Collins Streets) to Southern Cross Station and walk over the footbridge.
Drive at your own risk.

Accommodation
Novotel on Collins
In the city centre but don’t use the restaurant for breakfast or dinner. The food isn’t flash, there isn’t much choice and it is expensive. Easy to find nice restaurants close though and the bar is always good to have a few celebration drinks after the game.

Quest Serviced Apartments

Packages
Travel & Sport Australia - St Kilda Packages
Travel & Sport Australia - Carlton Packages
Travel & Sport Australia - Richmond Packages
Travel & Sport Australia - Melbourne Packages
Travel & Sport Australia - Western Bulldogs Packages
Travel and Sports Australia is West Coast Eagles official travel agency. If you are lazy like me, they will take care of everything.

Other Games in Melbourne
Some of you may want to turn it into a football weekend. Here are the other games in Melbourne on the same weekend that West Coast plays there.
ROUND 3 (EASTER WEEKEND)
Tursday, April 9
Geelong v Collingwood MCG (N)
Saturday, April 11
St Kilda v West Coast TD
Carlton v Essendon MCG (N)
Sunday, April 12
North Melbourne v Hawthorn TD
Monday, April 13
Western Bulldogs v Richmond TD

ROUND 10
Friday, May 29
Carlton v West Coast TD (N)
Saturday, May 30
North Melbourne v Brisbane Lions TD
Sunday, May 31
Essendon v Geelong TD
Collingwood v Port Adelaide MCG (T)

ROUND 12 (SPLIT ROUND)
Friday, June 12
Carlton v St Kilda TD (N)
Saturday, June 13
Richmond v West Coast TD (N)

ROUND 14
Friday, July 3
Collingwood v Essendon MCG (N)
Saturday, July 4
Melbourne v West Coast MCG
Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn TD (N)
Sunday, July 5
St Kilda v Geelong TD

ROUND 19
Friday, August 7
Carlton v Geelong MCG (N)
Saturday, August 8
Western Bulldogs v West Coast TD
Essendon v Brisbane Lions MCG (N)
Sunday, August 9
North Melbourne v Melbourne TD
Richmond v Sydney MCG

Guides and Information
Visit Victoria
Melbourne City Map: The Telstra Dome is on the left, MCG on the right hand side of the map.
Lonely Planet: Melbourne Travel Information
Total Travel.com - Melbourne City Guide: Includes Hotel guides, attractions and tours.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2009 - Melbourne

Postby Sico 17 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:38 am

Just booked accommodation and flights for the Round 14 game against Melbourne. While the game against Melbourne won't have much atmosphere due to the Demons low support the other three games that weekend should hopefully be corkers. I am taking a niece and nephew for their first trip to watch football at the MCG.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Royals on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:46 am

Our mob is doing Eagles Vs Carlton Friday Night Telstra Dome 29th May
which is long weekend in Perth on Monday so excellent few days of Booze and Buying.
have 11 starters so far and growing.
Royals
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Sico 17 wrote:Just booked accommodation and flights for the Round 14 game against Melbourne. While the game against Melbourne won't have much atmosphere due to the Demons low support the other three games that weekend should hopefully be corkers. I am taking a niece and nephew for their first trip to watch football at the MCG.

Yeah am heading over for that round of football (and maybe Rd 13 too) ..... WWE is in Melb on Tues 7th so was going over for that, so was great that West Coast were playing in Melb around that time.

Also going over for Easter Weekend Round ..... great round to go see going from Thurs- Monday and all good matches and WCE v Saints so be a good match.
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Is anybody going over for Easter Weekend of footy???

If so, have you tried buying tickets for Cats v Pies game on Thurs night. Went to buy tickets (actually through Ticketek, not Ticketmaster) and said need barcode number for Cats or Pies membership. Said for general public you dont need to enter a code (in buying tickets section) but when going to buy tickets it still requests a barcode and wont let you get any further

So has anyone tried and if they have, had any luck in getting tickets to that game??

edit: Upon trying to get some tickets, it seems all MCG games are done through Ticketek and all Telstra Dome games done through Ticketmaster ....
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bacardi Babe on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I am going over to Melbourne for Easter and then another week after that to catch up with my family and old Melbourne buddys.

Looking forward to it, I will see the Eagles game on Easter weekend plus whoever else is in town on the weekend. The weekend after Im going to go to the Hawks game on the Saturday and then into a corporate box on Sunday to see Melbourne and the Tigers play. We have a big family reunion planned for all my extended rellies- its going to be quite a weekend. Dont expect me to make any sense that weekend people! :D

I will also be in Launceston for Anzac Day match against the premiers on April 25th.

I am planning a trip to Melbourne for footy every month this year and will be heading over for September definitely.

I just love Melbourne during footy season. The weather is shitehouse but I love getting all dressed up in nice jeans and blazers/jumpers and boots and scarfs. The restaurants, the atmosphere, the night life, the mates and family Ive got there. Last year we all sat at a place called the Precint in Richmond and drank copious amounts before heading to dreamtime at the g on the Saturday night and then after the Demons versus Hawks game on Sunday night. Loved it! Head there people- its grouse! :D

I love the West. I am born in the West and will die in the west but my god I wish Id taken advantage of my 18 months/2 years in Melbourne.
Even heroes have the right to bleed
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bacardi Babe on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Sico 17 wrote:Just booked accommodation and flights for the Round 14 game against Melbourne. While the game against Melbourne won't have much atmosphere due to the Demons low support the other three games that weekend should hopefully be corkers. I am taking a niece and nephew for their first trip to watch football at the MCG.

Cya there buddy. I am booked in for that match too! :D
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby cheese on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:53 pm

booked for April 4 Carltank v Brissy
Luke THE OTHER FOOT Shuey
cheese
EFH Legend

Postby Bacardi Babe on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:55 pm

cheese wrote:booked for April 4 Carltank v Brissy

Ohhhhhhh the weekend before Easter. I hope you have an absolute blast!

Give Juddas and Fev heaps from me! :lol:
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby cheese on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Bacardi Babe wrote:
cheese wrote:booked for April 4 Carltank v Brissy

Ohhhhhhh the weekend before Easter. I hope you have an absolute blast!

Give Juddas and Fev heaps from me! :lol:
We were all set for WCE v Saints but realised it was easter weekend and as I'm treating my wife to a weekend without the kids it couldn't be Easter .Our choice was Cuz v Cats at Skilled or Mudd v Brissy at the Dome and as we are meeting family from Qld the choice was simple .
Luke THE OTHER FOOT Shuey
cheese
EFH Legend

Postby Sico 17 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:48 am

Bacardi Babe wrote:

Excellent, I was looking for someone to baby-sit my niece while I wet to 4 games of football that weekend.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Bacardi Babe on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:44 pm

Sico 17 wrote:
Bacardi Babe wrote:

Excellent, I was looking for someone to baby-sit my niece while I wet to 4 games of football that weekend.

Haha your a cheeky one! I love little girls! I love babysitting! I'll take her shopping in Chapel St or Bridge Rd :D Can we borrow your credit card? :twisted: :D :)
Bacardi Babe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby mysterio on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Does anyone (Sico or any Victorian WCE supporters) know where West Coast train when in Melbourne .... i know have brief run on TD or MCG, but i have heard of sumwhere else (Albert Park rings a bell for some reason or Albert Reserve??) where they train whilst in Melbourne
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Max Power on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm

It really depends on the week.

We usually go for a light run on the Albert Ground opposite the team's hotel, if we're playing at the G we'll usually have a training session there, and sometimes we'll have a run on Junction Oval (just down St Kilda Rd from the Albert Ground). We even trained on Punt Rd a couple of time last year. Information is usually up a day or two beforehand on the Eagles website.
Max Power
EFH Legend

Postby hendo1963 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:41 pm

cheese wrote:Our choice was Cuz v Cats at Skilled

Don't think this is an option now. :lol: :lol:
hendo1963
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Travelling Eagles