Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2008 - Melbourne

Going to a game interstate? Ticketing, how you're getting there etc.

Moderator: Mead

2008 - Melbourne

Postby Sico 17 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Melbourne, Victoria

Games played here in 2008
Melbourne Cricket Ground
Round 10 vs Collingwood - Saturday, May 31 2:10pm
Round 14 vs Hawthorn - Friday, June 27 7:40pm
Round 20 vs Melbourne - Saturday, August 16 2:10pm
Ticketmaster
MCG Seating Plan: Try and get tickets in sections 29 to 36, especially for day games. This will stop you looking into the sun all day.
Getting to the ground
Walking - The MCG is walking distance from the centre of Melbourne.
By train - Richmond and Jolimont Stations are the nearest to the MCG. From the city, Hurstbridge and Epping line trains stop at Jolimont while Glen Waverley, Lilydale, Belgrave, Sandringham, Pakenham and Cranbourne line trains stop at Richmond.
By tram - From the city, catch the number 70 Wattle Park tram, the number 48 North Balwyn tram and the number 75 tram to East Burwood. All of these trams run along Flinders Street and pass by the MCG.

Telstra Dome
Round 6 vs Western Bulldogs - Saturday, April 26 7:10pm
Round 12 vs Essendon - Friday, June 13 7:40pm
Ticketmaster
Telstra Dome Seating Plan: Try and get tickets at the Coventry End of the ground. In aisle 1 to 10 or aisle 39 to 48, especially for day games. This will stop you looking into the sun all day.
Getting to the ground
The Telstra Dome is walking distance from the centre of Melbourne.
To get the ground, you can also take a train to Southern Cross Station (Spencer Street), which is in the city loop, so most city trains will take you there.
The trams that run along Flinders Street (48, 70, 75) loop around the Dome going away from the city (they turn around out the back of TD). alternatively, get a train or tram (109 from Box Hill, via Victoria and Collins Streets) to Southern Cross Station and walk over the footbridge.
Drive at your own risk.

Skilled Stadium
Round 22 vs Geelong - Saturday, August 30 2:10pm
Ticketmaster
Skilled Stadium Seating Plan: Tickets usually on sale two weeks before the game. Away team fans are usually seated in sections 35 to 38. Good seats because the team race is right next to section 35. On the bad side it is in the open so you could get wet and cold watching the game.
Getting to the ground
Rail is the best way to get to Geelong from Melbourne on game day, you will be back long before anyone drives back.
Get to Southern Cross station (formerly Spencer Street station) which is on the corner of Spencer and Collins streets. The ticket booths are located near that corner. The platforms are located at the right of the ticket booths.
This game is on a Sunday, and limited services run on Sundays, but I believe V/Line rail services operate extra trains to cope with the crowds going to and from Kardinia Park.
The trip from Southern Cross station to South Geelong station takes approx. 55 minutes to 1 hour, depending on which train you catch.
Once you get to South Geelong station, Skilled Stadium is a 5 minute walk away. You can see it from the station.

Accommodation
Novotel on Collins
I stay here every time I go to Melbourne. In the city centre but don’t use the restaurant for breakfast or dinner. The food isn’t flash, there isn’t much choice and it is expensive. Easy to find nice restaurants close though and the bar is always good to have a few celebration drinks after the game.

Quest Serviced Apartments

Packages
Travel & Sport Australia
Travel and Sports Australia is West Coast Eagles official travel agency. If you are lazy like me, they will take care of everything. They should have set packages up soon.

Guides and Information
Visit Victoria
Melbourne City Map: The Telstra Dome is on the left, MCG on the right hand side of the map.
Lonely Planet: Melbourne Travel Information
Total Travel.com - Melbourne City Guide: Includes Hotel guides, attractions and tours.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2008 - Melbourne

Postby Worsfold on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm

sico
How big are the rooms and what quality are they at the novotel - this hotel has been recommended to me by a few others but my wife has so far refused to relocate from the sofitel.
I ask because normally you get what you pay for and novetel is about half the price of the sofitel.
Also the sofitel has a club lounge where you don't have to pay for anymeals all day and a few free drinks for about an hour half each night for an extra $50 per night.
Worsfold
Retired

Postby stadiumking on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Sico 17 wrote:Telstra Dome
Round 12 vs Essendon - Friday, June 13 7:40pm
Ticketmaster
Telstra Dome Seating Plan: Try and get tickets at the Coventry End of the ground. In aisle 1 to 10 or aisle 39 to 48, especially for day games. This will stop you looking into the sun all day.
Getting to the ground
Walking - The MCG is walking distance from the centre of Melbourne.
By train - Richmond and Jolimont Stations are the nearest to the MCG. From the city, Hurstbridge and Epping line trains stop at Jolimont while Glen Waverley, Lilydale, Belgrave, Sandringham, Pakenham and Cranbourne line trains stop at Richmond.
By tram - From the city, catch the number 70 Wattle Park tram, the number 48 North Balwyn tram and the number 75 tram to East Burwood. All of these trams run along Flinders Street and pass by the MCG.

You might want to try a few different ways to get there ;)
The trams that run along Flinders Street (48, 70, 75) loop around the Dome going away from the city (they turn around out the back of TD). alternatively, get a train or tram (109 from Box Hill, via Victoria and Collins Streets) to Southern Cross Station and walk over the footbridge.
Drive at your own risk.
***Mitch Brown. Proudly brought to you by Nathan Bassett***
stadiumking
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Sico 17 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:40 pm

I don't use the Novotel for anything else but a place to sleep and relax. I don't know what to say about the size of the room, there is a bed and a desk but no lounge but they are always clean. As I said above the restaurant is expensive and the food isn't anything to write home about. The bar is also expensive and it doesn't have a big screen to watch other games. The bar is always full of Eagles fans before and after the game.

The good thing is it is in the centre of the city. Heaps of restaurants around the place. There is a good place on Swanston St called Swanston Walk Cafe which does the best greasy breakfast to get rid of a hangover. There is an alleyway across Collins St for a great take away soup and the Lygon St Restaurant strip is only a $10 taxi fare away. Plus it is on the same street as Krispy Kreme donuts, well worth the walk. There is also a bar right next door that you can have drinks and watch the big screen.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Sico 17 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:45 pm

stadiumking wrote:You might want to try a few different ways to get there ;)
Drive at your own risk.
Thanks SK. You can guess which section I was up to at 1pmWST while watching the race!
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby 89er on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:48 pm

I have already booked my flights for the Eagles/Collingwood game. It is the June long weekend. Tempted to go to the Eagles/Bulldogs game as well, on the ANZAC day long weekend.
89er
Veteran

Postby Worsfold on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Sico 17 wrote:I don't use the Novotel for anything else but a place to sleep and relax. I don't know what to say about the size of the room, there is a bed and a desk but no lounge but they are always clean. As I said above the restaurant is expensive and the food isn't anything to write home about. The bar is also expensive and it doesn't have a big screen to watch other games. The bar is always full of Eagles fans before and after the game.

The good thing is it is in the centre of the city. Heaps of restaurants around the place. There is a good place on Swanston St called Swanston Walk Cafe which does the best greasy breakfast to get rid of a hangover. There is an alleyway across Collins St for a great take away soup and the Lygon St Restaurant strip is only a $10 taxi fare away. Plus it is on the same street as Krispy Kreme donuts, well worth the walk. There is also a bar right next door that you can have drinks and watch the big screen.

cheers I'll have to check it out for myself next time i'am over.
Worsfold
Retired

Postby El Jefe on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:46 pm

Going to all of them. Looking forward to watching the lads play in melb.
El Jefe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Westcoastfreak on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 pm

eassam wrote:Going to all of them. Looking forward to watching the lads play in melb.

Lucky ass.. sucks to be 15 :lol:
Westcoastfreak
Veteran

Postby Persian Ace on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:43 pm

i was thinking about going to melbourne whilst an eagles game was on, so thanks for all the information guys :)

~
Unofficial Sponsor of the Will of Schofield
"I fear God, and next to God I mostly fear them, that fear him not." - Saadi
Persian Ace
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Max Power on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Train to Southern Cross is probably the easiest way to get to Telstra Dome. Can get crowded after games, especially those Friday night games but you can still almost always get onto your train and most people jump off at Flinders St anyway.
Max Power
EFH Legend

Postby Eagle Power on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 pm

Sico 17 wrote:Melbourne, Victoria

Telstra Dome

Can't wait. Flights are booked and will be going to 3 games (maybe 4) over 3 days in Melbourne including this one and the ANZAC day game.

Thanks for the info. Never been to the Dome (and only been the G twice - one happy, one sad).
Proud Sponsor of the Captain.
Eagle Power
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby eagles_fan on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Eagle Power wrote:

Telstra Dome

Can't wait. Flights are booked and will be going to 3 games (maybe 4) over 3 days in Melbourne including this one and the ANZAC day game.

Thanks for the info. Never been to the Dome (and only been the G twice - one happy, one sad).

I might see you there EP....Im thinking of doing exactly the same thing :D
Were flying high!
eagles_fan
EFH Legend

Postby Jeeves on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:06 pm

eagles_fan wrote:
Eagle Power wrote:

Telstra Dome

3 of us are going over for the weekend. We are planning on catching at least 2 games, the ANZAC game and Eagles vs Doggies.

Sico mentioned Swanston Walk cafe. I have been there heaps of times and the food is good. Big serves and tasty. Service is always friendly and it has a great atmosphere. You can eat inside, though not many tables, or outside under an awning. It's a terrific place to people watch.

This time we are staying at a hotel on Spencer St called the Harbour View Apartments. I have never stayed there before and I have read mixed reviews, however it is only a 5 minute walk from the TD.
Jeeves
Regular

Postby mysterio on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 am

Jeeves wrote:
eagles_fan wrote:
Eagle Power wrote:

3 of us are going over for the weekend. We are planning on catching at least 2 games, the ANZAC game and Eagles vs Doggies.

Make that 4.

Booked flights on Friday. Like many others planning to also go to ANZAC day match and as im going with my brother (Kangaroos supporter) will go see Roos v Sydney on Sunday.

Also booked flights to head over in June to see WCE v Hawks, which should be good to see at the G under lights :) Only downside to second trip, because we are going with a Freo supporting mate we have to go watch Freo v Saints the week before :roll:
mysterio
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Travelling Eagles