11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Trade Targets 2017

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Pinion King wrote:They don't exactly get thrown under the bus when they leave home. WCE have their foster care system so the players move into a home environment. I am sure other clubs have something simular.

Uping the draft age would work, but are some of that talent going to wait that long to be drafted?

Whilst that is true it still doesn't cater in that players are sometimes moving across the entire country away from their friends and family when they have never known anything outside of their comfy lives. And in particular for the Vic kids, they aren't conditioned to thinking about moving interstate. They may get told about a chance of moving interstate when drafted, but ultimately in their mind there is a better than 50% chance they stay in the state. Whereas kids in WA they know they are almost going to have to leave WA to play football because there is only 2 teams out of now 18.

As for possibly losing talent, I can only really see it cutting away bottom end talent. The guys who aren't sure whether they would make it and choosing to have a career elsewhere. Because as it is there is still a lot of blokes in their 20's fighting it out in the secondary comps for a chance at AFL. But there might need to be some sort of infrastructure put in place, maybe extending the colts eligibility to the draft age, but also including money so that the potential draftees aren't robbed of the chance of making a living. And then also probably more money invested into the coaching of the colts teams so that their development isn't stalled. Would be money better invested than being used to prop up the struggling vic clubs...

Would need to have a look back, but do we take more Vic Country and Metro players? The Country players normally settle in better.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby jourgo on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

Brendon Ah Chee - welcome aboard!

In - Ah Chee + 2018 4th round pick
Out - 2018 3rd round pick

On the surface I'm ok with that deal.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

jourgo wrote:Brendon Ah Chee - welcome aboard!

I agree mate, could have done a lot worse, glad we only offered pick 68 first. 3rd next year is okay too.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Perrythegreat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 am

Down grade a 3rd to 4th round pick next year (although I understand it is a good draft, that is a late pick) for Ah Chee. I'm very happy with that.

Not sure why we are chasing Stringer, isn't he staying in Vic? Unless we want 2 2nd round picks instead of a 1st rounder (why??).
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

Perrythegreat wrote:Down grade a 3rd to 4th round pick next year (although I understand it is a good draft, that is a late pick) for Ah Chee. I'm very happy with that.

Not sure why we are chasing Stringer, isn't he staying in Vic? Unless we want 2 2nd round picks instead of a 1st rounder (why??).

We are not chasing Stringer
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Perrythegreat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:59 am

AFL website says we are
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:02 am

Yeah we're not. Apparently the Dogs have approached the Eagles about somehow getting pick 13 to help shift Stringer to the scum.

Unless the end result of that from a West Coast point of view is a pick higher than 13 my diplomatic response to that would be fuck off and fuck off now.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Hamburger on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 am

The swapping of future picks is always intriguing. Something of a gamble involved for the clubs involved.
In the extreme, if the Power happened to finish in the bottom 4 next year and we finished in the top 4 their 4th pick might not be that far away from our 3rd pick which would mean we got Ah Chee for basically nothing...
On the other hand...if that was reversed we could end up thinking we paid too much.
Overall, the best result for both clubs would be for both to finish close together on the ladder next year.
Hamburger
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 am

Perrythegreat wrote:AFL website says we are

We are being talked about in the Stringer circle regarding our pick 13. There are discussions that WCE hand up pick 13 in exchange for several later picks and 13 could be used to snare Stringer for Essendon
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:21 am

Hamburger wrote:

The swapping of future picks is always intriguing. Something of a gamble involved for the clubs involved.
In the extreme, if the Power happened to finish in the bottom 4 next year and we finished in the top 4 their 4th pick might not be that far away from our 3rd pick which would mean we got Ah Chee for basically nothing...
On the other hand...if that was reversed we could end up thinking we paid too much.
Overall, the best result for both clubs would be for both to finish close together on the ladder next year.

At least we get 2018 to watch Ah Chee and determine whether we got good value for the trade.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:28 am

Well done. Let's set our sights on Callum Ah Chee and entice him home to play with Bro.

I am curious about the one year deal.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Feng Shuey on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am

Future picks are always tricky, but the way Port are trading they're a good chance to be top 4, which means a 4th round in the 70s. Would we actually use that? Which means we basically baulked at giving up our round 3 this year but accepted giving up our 3rd round next year. Which is supposed to be a better draft, which is a worse deal even if we finish 6th again.
Doesn't make sense to me.
Still happy with the trade but don't see why we didn't just take the original deal. :/
Feng Shuey
Rookie

Postby Feng Shuey on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 am

jourgo wrote:Yeah we're not. Apparently the Dogs have approached the Eagles about somehow getting pick 13 to help shift Stringer to the scum.

Unless the end result of that from a West Coast point of view is a pick higher than 13 my diplomatic response to that would be fuck off and fuck off now.

Totally agree!

I think the deal was to look something like..
Bulldogs get 13 give up stringer and 28
Essendon get stringer give up 25 30
Eagles get 25,28,30 give up pick 13
Feng Shuey
Rookie

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am

Feng Shuey wrote:Future picks are always tricky, but the way Port are trading they're a good chance to be top 4, which means a 4th round in the 70s. Would we actually use that? Which means we basically baulked at giving up our round 3 this year but accepted giving up our 3rd round next year. Which is supposed to be a better draft, which is a worse deal even if we finish 6th again.
Doesn't make sense to me.
Still happy with the trade but don't see why we didn't just take the original deal. :/

From what it sounds this year we are stocking up on a heap of picks to fill our list back up.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:03 pm

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-trades ... b88631416z

They forgot to mention we then got Yeo with 28. Absolute bargain.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading