Advanced  

Latest Result

Round 11 Perth Stadium
Sat, 02 Jun 2018 • 18:10 WST
West Coast St Kilda
16.5 (101) 14.4 (88)
Game Focus

Next Game

Round 14 Perth Stadium
Thu, 21 Jun 2018 • 18:10 WST
West Coast v Essenscum
Game Focus



Trade Targets 2017

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:
DALBY wrote:Port just over paid for Motlop. 600K a year for a bloke who will forever be inconsistent.


Not a bad pay cheque for a casual employee.


I thought they paid $500k per year. Adelaide offered $600k but he rejected it because of the family connections with PA.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 am

Lachie Weller wants out of Fremantle. He has requested a trade to Gold Coast
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 am

Fat Side wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-time-to-get-over-go-home-syndrome/news-story/d68a066247f6256ff444c5bd14e81f90

Young players too often now, contracted or not, are deciding they’ve had enough of the club they are at and are using the line, “I want to go home” to get traded. I can’t tell you how much I detest that excuse.


Interesting piece from Mick Malthouse

Kane Corns broight the same point up. The fact that so many players use it has just turned it into an excuse.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 am

Fat Side wrote:Lachie Weller wants out of Fremantle. He has requested a trade to Gold Coast

Thats a blow for them. Just made their Matera trade easy.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-time-to-get-over-go-home-syndrome/news-story/d68a066247f6256ff444c5bd14e81f90

Young players too often now, contracted or not, are deciding they’ve had enough of the club they are at and are using the line, “I want to go home” to get traded. I can’t tell you how much I detest that excuse.


Interesting piece from Mick Malthouse

Kane Corns broight the same point up. The fact that so many players use it has just turned it into an excuse.


The trend is established and it will only happen more and more. Take a few days off during the year citing stress - mental health - and who will risk standing in your way when you request a trade home at the end of the year? Two issues I'd like addressed - and they could if they had a will - are: A) fix the draft system. B) Stop young players signing long term deals early on in their career; and for that player managers are responsible.

I have long questioned the draft system that punishes the best players in the draft with a shift away from their home state. These players are most likely to feel ungrateful - once the initial excitement has worn off - and especially if not drafted by a super club. They are also the ones most likely to get big "come home" offers. I think a club should only be able to draft a player from its own state with its first draft pick, or go to the end of the round; obviously Tasmania and the NT would be fair game. Second round selections are hopefully more likely to be grateful to simply be drafted...
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-time-to-get-over-go-home-syndrome/news-story/d68a066247f6256ff444c5bd14e81f90

Young players too often now, contracted or not, are deciding they’ve had enough of the club they are at and are using the line, “I want to go home” to get traded. I can’t tell you how much I detest that excuse.


Interesting piece from Mick Malthouse

Kane Corns broight the same point up. The fact that so many players use it has just turned it into an excuse.


The Dockers have seen this from both sides. McCarthy takes a year out to deal with 'homesickness' and this year Harley Balic takes time off to deal with homesickness.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:The trend is established and it will only happen more and more. Take a few days off during the year citing stress - mental health - and who will risk standing in your way when you request a trade home at the end of the year? Two issues I'd like addressed - and they could if they had a will - are: A) fix the draft system. B) Stop young players signing long term deals early on in their career; and for that player managers are responsible.

I have long questioned the draft system that punishes the best players in the draft with a shift away from their home state. These players are most likely to feel ungrateful - once the initial excitement has worn off - and especially if not drafted by a super club. They are also the ones most likely to get big "come home" offers. I think a club should only be able to draft a player from its own state with its first draft pick, or go to the end of the round; obviously Tasmania and the NT would be fair game. Second round selections are hopefully more likely to be grateful to simply be drafted...

So if WA/SA/QLD don't have a player that would we be worth a first round once again the Vic clubs are favored. The players know that when they enter the draft they have no idea and no choice where they are going to end up. Someone mentioned that if a player loves the game of footy he doesn't care where he plays.

I think if a player is contracted they have no choice what club they go to. Their current club then gets the opportunity to make the best deal possible. If Gaff wanted to go home this period and Saints offer us pick 7 and Carlton offer us pick 3 then we choose Carlton, don't care if Gaff wants to go to Melbourne.

Can't work out how Cat's got pick 19 for Motlop.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:The trend is established and it will only happen more and more. Take a few days off during the year citing stress - mental health - and who will risk standing in your way when you request a trade home at the end of the year? Two issues I'd like addressed - and they could if they had a will - are: A) fix the draft system. B) Stop young players signing long term deals early on in their career; and for that player managers are responsible.

I have long questioned the draft system that punishes the best players in the draft with a shift away from their home state. These players are most likely to feel ungrateful - once the initial excitement has worn off - and especially if not drafted by a super club. They are also the ones most likely to get big "come home" offers. I think a club should only be able to draft a player from its own state with its first draft pick, or go to the end of the round; obviously Tasmania and the NT would be fair game. Second round selections are hopefully more likely to be grateful to simply be drafted...

So if WA/SA/QLD don't have a player that would we be worth a first round once again the Vic clubs are favored. The players know that when they enter the draft they have no idea and no choice where they are going to end up. Someone mentioned that if a player loves the game of footy he doesn't care where he plays.

I think if a player is contracted they have no choice what club they go to. Their current club then gets the opportunity to make the best deal possible. If Gaff wanted to go home this period and Saints offer us pick 7 and Carlton offer us pick 3 then we choose Carlton, don't care if Gaff wants to go to Melbourne.

Can't work out how Cat's got pick 19 for Motlop.


The latest is players stating: "If you don't trade me now, I'll be gone at the end of next year" (Weller/Cameron)

Motlop is worth pick 19 because of the quids he's getting.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:The trend is established and it will only happen more and more. Take a few days off during the year citing stress - mental health - and who will risk standing in your way when you request a trade home at the end of the year? Two issues I'd like addressed - and they could if they had a will - are: A) fix the draft system. B) Stop young players signing long term deals early on in their career; and for that player managers are responsible.

I have long questioned the draft system that punishes the best players in the draft with a shift away from their home state. These players are most likely to feel ungrateful - once the initial excitement has worn off - and especially if not drafted by a super club. They are also the ones most likely to get big "come home" offers. I think a club should only be able to draft a player from its own state with its first draft pick, or go to the end of the round; obviously Tasmania and the NT would be fair game. Second round selections are hopefully more likely to be grateful to simply be drafted...

So if WA/SA/QLD don't have a player that would we be worth a first round once again the Vic clubs are favored. The players know that when they enter the draft they have no idea and no choice where they are going to end up. Someone mentioned that if a player loves the game of footy he doesn't care where he plays.

I think if a player is contracted they have no choice what club they go to. Their current club then gets the opportunity to make the best deal possible. If Gaff wanted to go home this period and Saints offer us pick 7 and Carlton offer us pick 3 then we choose Carlton, don't care if Gaff wants to go to Melbourne.

Can't work out how Cat's got pick 19 for Motlop.


The latest is players stating: "If you don't trade me now, I'll be gone at the end of next year" (Weller/Cameron)

Motlop is worth pick 19 because of the quids he's getting.

Suck it up princesses. They are grown men acting like children. I understand for some it is genuine, but most are just using it as an excuse.

If they are contracted and want to go home the club decides where they go. Un-contracted get to pick.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Can't work out how Cat's got pick 19 for Motlop.


Motlop is worth pick 19 because of the quids he's getting.

That's it exactly. Both Port and Cows were offering big bucks for a so-so player. AFL has a formula based on $ and contract. He got a 500k pa and 4 year deal, equals end of 1st round. If we could persuade someone to offer the same for xxxxx xxxxxx then we would get the same.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:The trend is established and it will only happen more and more. Take a few days off during the year citing stress - mental health - and who will risk standing in your way when you request a trade home at the end of the year? Two issues I'd like addressed - and they could if they had a will - are: A) fix the draft system. B) Stop young players signing long term deals early on in their career; and for that player managers are responsible.

I have long questioned the draft system that punishes the best players in the draft with a shift away from their home state. These players are most likely to feel ungrateful - once the initial excitement has worn off - and especially if not drafted by a super club. They are also the ones most likely to get big "come home" offers. I think a club should only be able to draft a player from its own state with its first draft pick, or go to the end of the round; obviously Tasmania and the NT would be fair game. Second round selections are hopefully more likely to be grateful to simply be drafted...

So if WA/SA/QLD don't have a player that would we be worth a first round once again the Vic clubs are favored. The players know that when they enter the draft they have no idea and no choice where they are going to end up. Someone mentioned that if a player loves the game of footy he doesn't care where he plays.

I think if a player is contracted they have no choice what club they go to. Their current club then gets the opportunity to make the best deal possible. If Gaff wanted to go home this period and Saints offer us pick 7 and Carlton offer us pick 3 then we choose Carlton, don't care if Gaff wants to go to Melbourne.

Can't work out how Cat's got pick 19 for Motlop.


To be fair most of these players are coming straight from their childhood homes and into the big bad world with no life experience. I think what will solve it is possibly uping the draft age so that the players have been able to be adults and can then make adult decisions.

Look at the NFL, draft age is about 21/22. Whilst there is a lot of player movement it isn't thinly veiled by a "I wanna go home" excuse. Players want more money or more game time and will let people know. That said they also have the option of free agency once their contract has ended not a compulsory waiting period, but because they aren't introduced into the system until later, they are generally playing high level from the start, and some players struggle to hit the same heights as they did in their first contract.

So ultimately i'd like to see the draft age raised, and maybe taking the power away from the players somewhat and allowing clubs to trade players away without consent (but maybe making it so that a player has to be on a salary higher than say 200k. For that money, relocating shouldn't be a big issue)

The whole only drafting from your state with a first round pick, sorry to say is a horrible idea. The draft is supposed to be there to help equalise. If a Queensland team has the first pick because they have been terrible (I know a very long stretch of the imagination :lol: ) but they can only draft a Queenslander, then they aren't going to get much help from this equalisation policy (plus trading said pick won't help them much either as there is only a low number of good queensland born players to use the go home factor on and luring non-queenslanders is hard because everyone wants to be in victoria due to the better travel schedules). Also on the other hand, what happens if freo an west coast go 1 and 2 and its a year like when Gold Coast came in and 2 of the top 3 are WA boys. We get a top 3 pick from pick 18? Hardly fair.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 pm

They don't exactly get thrown under the bus when they leave home. WCE have their foster care system so the players move into a home environment. I am sure other clubs have something simular.

Uping the draft age would work, but are some of that talent going to wait that long to be drafted?
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 am

Pinion King wrote:They don't exactly get thrown under the bus when they leave home. WCE have their foster care system so the players move into a home environment. I am sure other clubs have something simular.

Uping the draft age would work, but are some of that talent going to wait that long to be drafted?


Whilst that is true it still doesn't cater in that players are sometimes moving across the entire country away from their friends and family when they have never known anything outside of their comfy lives. And in particular for the Vic kids, they aren't conditioned to thinking about moving interstate. They may get told about a chance of moving interstate when drafted, but ultimately in their mind there is a better than 50% chance they stay in the state. Whereas kids in WA they know they are almost going to have to leave WA to play football because there is only 2 teams out of now 18.

As for possibly losing talent, I can only really see it cutting away bottom end talent. The guys who aren't sure whether they would make it and choosing to have a career elsewhere. Because as it is there is still a lot of blokes in their 20's fighting it out in the secondary comps for a chance at AFL. But there might need to be some sort of infrastructure put in place, maybe extending the colts eligibility to the draft age, but also including money so that the potential draftees aren't robbed of the chance of making a living. And then also probably more money invested into the coaching of the colts teams so that their development isn't stalled. Would be money better invested than being used to prop up the struggling vic clubs...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 am

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/af ... 63bd15c8b4

WEST Coast could be considering giving up their top pick in order to take more early selections into next month’s national draft.


Should we entertain giving up pick 13 for two second round picks? I think it's a dud. Three second round picks for pick 13 would be the starting point, although I think we should keep 13 and look at upgrading later picks.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Trade Targets 2017

Postby penrith eagle on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 am

Fat Side wrote:hould we entertain giving up pick 13 for two second round picks? I think it's a dud. Three second round picks for pick 13 would be the starting point, although I think we should keep 13 and look at upgrading later picks.


Agree I think its a dud move

Isn't this a shallow draft this year and next year a lot better??

I do not see what we would gain in giving up our pick 13 for second rounders....our history of 2nd rounders has not been that great
The will to win....maybe its coming back ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Back in the City of PERTH :)

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest