Sun, 22 Jul 2018 • 13:20 WST
West Coast v Western Bulldogs
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Apparently, we are interested in Ben Miller. We have met with him.
Official 2017 EFH Sponsor of Josh Kennedy, Fraser McInnes, and Joshua Rotham
Official 2015 EFH Sponsor of Liam Duggan
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Elliot Yeo
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Dean Cox
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am

Seems we've just traded away our first rounder in next year's draft.

Out - 2018 1st round, 2017 pick 50
In - 2017 picks 21, 26, 37

Not happy.
I got a fever.
And the only prescription,
Is MORE COWBELL!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:04 am

jourgo wrote:Seems we've just traded away our first rounder in next year's draft.

Not happy.

I hope they know what they are doing? :(

So we have picks 13, 21, 26, 32 and 37 this year and not much next year
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 am

DALBY wrote:
jourgo wrote:Seems we've just traded away our first rounder in next year's draft.

Not happy.

We must be really keen on recruiting those mature aged WAFL players.

To give up our 2018 1st round pick for Gold Coasts 2018 2nd....we must think that they will finish bottom 4 and us top 4. Quite clearly WCE are gearing up for a serious premiership tilt.

It may work out ok in 12 months time, but I seriously fear we have totally fucked up.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Perrythegreat on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:09 am

We will need to trade someone good for a first rounder next year. Suppose to be a bumper draft. Gaff free agency maybe?
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am

interesting trade - feels kind of like a last roll of the dice with Kennedy in his prime.

If it pays off, our first round pick would be ~18th pick, and GC's second rounder would probably be 20 - 23. Based on this, it's a brilliant deal.

It it backfires, our first pick is ~2nd and GC are laughing, but as people have said, perhaps if it backfires Gaff will leave under FA and we will get the pick after our first rounder (so 3rd).

Who knows - draft day will be exciting to watch!!
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 am

Not happy.

So we have picks 13, 21, 26 & 27 this year....but at the expense of next years draft which ia reported to be one of the best.

Rumors are these picks are for a few WAFL mature ager's.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:04 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:We must be really keen on recruiting those mature aged WAFL players.

To give up our 2018 1st round pick for Gold Coasts 2018 2nd....we must think that they will finish bottom 4 and us top 4. Quite clearly WCE are gearing up for a serious premiership tilt.

It may work out ok in 12 months time, but I seriously fear we have totally fucked up.

What makes you think we are after the mature players? There are some kids in the 2nd round that will fill our needs quite nicely.

Unless they are capable of being Brownlow winning superstars mature recruits are rarely taken in the top 30-40.

We have 8 picks now. 69 and 87 are our mature player picks.

13. Brandon Starcevich/Hunter Clark
21. Charlie Constable/Nick Coffield/Jack Patruccelle/Brandon Starcevich (one of these players should be there)
26. James Worpel/Brent Daniels
32. Callan England
37. Ben Miller
69. Liam Ryan
87. Tim Kelly
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 am

Not happy.

Unbelievable! Now if we have a poor year next year - rebuilding - then we have potentially given away a number one draft pick in a super draft :(

These North Melbourne people running our club seem to not mind gambling the club’s future against their own glory and to me it seems like pretty long odds. But what do they care, if its break rather than make, then they just pack up bags at the end of the year and go home to their mediocre beggar club and start again. While we, the club and the fans here are left without that golden ray of hope.

Also not happy.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:59 am

Everyone has been calling for a list clean out and some fresh young faces. Now that we are actually doing it and getting rid of dead weight you're saying that we shouldn't?

How is ONE pick going to affect us for years to come? It is ONE player and ONE player does not make a team! We also have to wait for ONE year to see that ONE player, then wait for another year or so as they start to develop.

Our biggest issue the past few years, is that we have relied on one or two players we have had nothing around them, now we can rebuild our core.

A heap of fresh young faces, we get a head start on their development.

This is all about moving on and moving forward. Something I am all for.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mykidsdad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

How the hell did Freo get pick 2 for Weller? Suns giving Weller a mint. They should be disbanded
Official sponsor Wellingham, Watson, Priddis and Hurn for 2017.

I got some work to do.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 am

Pinion King wrote:Everyone has been calling for a list clean out and some fresh young faces. Now that we are actually doing it and getting rid of dead weight you're saying that we shouldn't?

How is ONE pick going to affect us for years to come? It is ONE player and ONE player does not make a team! We also have to wait for ONE year to see that ONE player, then wait for another year or so as they start to develop.

Our biggest issue the past few years, is that we have relied on one or two players we have had nothing around them, now we can rebuild our core.

I can’t speak for those calling for a clean out but I certainly was not one of them. Natural evolution; retirement and drafting would have been fine. Our problem recently has been an inability to play the young players we already have on our list and I can’t see that is going to change dramatically next year with an influx of mid-range draft selections; from an average draft. We will still have the core of our team from this year and those fringe players who have managed opportunities.

The ‘risk’ I have been calling for almost all year has been to play the young players from East Perth. The coaches would not do that at the risk of scraping into the eight and somehow winning a premiership; which you must admit seemed like a joke form early in the year. Why will it be different next year?

Next year we are either rebuilding or trying to stay in contention. If rebuilding we are unlikely to make the eight; in which case we have just given away a very valuable pick in a super draft. If in contention then the club decision makers somehow think that by drafting a large bunch of mid-range draft picks this year - and playing them - that we will somehow remain in contention; thus, we have not given away much. However, looking at the expected strength next year of clubs like the; Crows, Tigers, Cats, Port, Sydney and Giants, plus up and coming teams like Melbourne, Carlton and Dogs, I doubt this is a high probability. Especially if we have the same quality coaching as this year.

And as for one pick, consider the last time we had high picks in a super draft; we drafted players like Chris Judd and Nic Naitanui. You can be the judge of what one such pick is worth to a club like us.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 am

DALBY wrote:

Not happy.

So we have picks 13, 21, 26, 32 and 37 this year and not much next year

I think this spells the death of Hill, Lamb and Wellingham. We now have picks 13, 21, 26, 30, 37, 69 this year. Those three will be replaced with new draftees. For those wanting fresh blood and opportunities for younger players...you've got what you wanted.

This is as close to a WCE rebuild as you will see.

Losing our first rounder next year is not ideal, but we need to move on ageing players that are not best 22 and a young player that hasn't come on (some call them list cloggers). If we didn't get this deal done, some of those three would have to be retained or delisted and replaced with very late draftees. We have a few players coming out of contract next year do we may be able to get back into the first round anyway.

Clearly we have players targeted and a plan on how we are going to get them. Now lets sit back and see what we can do in the draft.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Everyone has been calling for a list clean out and some fresh young faces. Now that we are actually doing it and getting rid of dead weight you're saying that we shouldn't?

And as for one pick, consider the last time we had high picks in a super draft; we drafted players like Chris Judd and Nic Naitanui. You can be the judge of what one such pick is worth to a club like us.

Your logic assumes that we will finish 17-18 next year? Our last few first round picks have been 11-13 not 2-3.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Only issue I see with what we have done and cutting all the deadwood this year is that we won't have players to cut next year.

Nice predicament to be in as it puts pressure on everyone, but at the same time it does mean we may end up losing some players we'd like to keep.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading