West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Tue May 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-01/indicative-draft-order-round-six-edition

Interesting indicative draft order for 2018. At current ladder positions, we would have given up pick 17 to GC after trading our first round pick and picked up their pick 24 (GC second round).

In essence it means:

Traded to GC: Pick 17 (2018)
Received: Picks 21, 26 and 38 (2017) and 24 (2018)

A bargain by any standards

I know that it is unlikely that we will lose the GF this year, but it's fun to look at.

Fans crucified them for doing it, so far it looks like a stroke of genius.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 am

I think the west Coast recruiters just read this article about the 2017 championships and went for it. Every player mentioned was picked up as soon as WCE could.
Clearly for instance, Raynor was taken, but they have a picture of Brandor,

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/your-guide-to-the-2017-afl-national-under18-championships-20170608-gwmwen.html

Recruiters have also started to take greater notice of West Australian tall Oscar Allen, who was the centre half-forward in the WAFL Colts team of the year in 2016, while top-age midfielder Brayden Ainsworth has impressed at Subiaco.

Jack Petruccelle, a high half-forward from the Northern Knights and a former elite junior basketballer, is still raw but recruiters say his kicking has improved. He shapes as a top-20 prospect.
This will be his first national championships, as he had been with the AIS basketball academy.
"He has plenty of speed ... some of his TAC efforts have been great, even taking the mark of the day," one observer noted.
Now that's a good way to get the notice of the posse of recruiters from each club who are ready to earn their keep over the next month.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 am

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-01/indicative-draft-order-round-six-edition

Interesting indicative draft order for 2018. At current ladder positions, we would have given up pick 17 to GC after trading our first round pick and picked up their pick 24 (GC second round).

In essence it means:

Traded to GC: Pick 17 (2018)
Received: Picks 21, 26 and 38 (2017) and 24 (2018)

A bargain by any standards

I know that it is unlikely that we will lose the GF this year, but it's fun to look at.

Fans crucified them for doing it, so far it looks like a stroke of genius.

Have to give credit where credit is due - I was worried about this trade when it happened, but you couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

We gained:

O.Allen (pick 21) looks classy and clean, just needs some muscle. Still looks like he could rotate through the midfield.
Liam Ryan (pick 26) has shown his game transfers to AFL level, but off-field could still be an issue
Petruccelle (pick 38) has shown glimpses - a bigger tank and he could be an elite wing / HB

What we lost this year looks like a pick in the late teens, which we have really just downgraded to pick ~20 (ignoring any FA compensation or other draft changes)

Kudos to the football department on this one
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 am

The other thing that this suggests is that the club had way more confidence in 2018 than most people did. If you'd read the doom and gloom at the end of last year, you'd have assumed we were destined for a top five pick.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading