Game Focus

2017 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Streaker wrote:
Pinion King wrote:
Streaker wrote: Twomey, who has a bit of an idea has his guide which goes up to pick 25. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-28/c ... er-edition

Also have players like Starcevich, Aidan Bonar, Charlie Spargo and Sam Taylor who aren't in the 25.

More of a form guide and where they should go, not what clubs will take them.

I've lost a little interest in Coffield his contested game isn't crash hot. Clark and Constable are firming more for our first pick.
Thats the who point with Coffield, he's your run and spread who has time with the ball, not your extractor. We have Sheed, Redden Shuey and Duggan who can extract, we need more outside mids. I'm still liking Clark for our 1st pick though.

True. Still, needs to be able to win a bit of contested ball. in a contest on the wing you need to be able to get in there and win the ball yourself if your insiders aren't there to help.

Yep for Clark, also a Vic country boy, so the "I want to go home" factor is lessened. Good runner and can kick on both feet is a bonus.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Streaker wrote:A lot of people talking up Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan but it's a big step up from WAFL to AFL. Liam Ryans games in particular show that he can be hurt easily having a defender run off him and looks a bit too much like Ashley Sampi who was great with the speccies but didn't work hard enough defensively. Kelly is a bit like Jetta in the fact he goes missing for large chunks of the game. Haiden Schloithe would probably be a better pick up.

There are some good kids in the draft that may fall to our picks.

That's the one knock on Ryan, no one is sure how he will go in an AFL system.

Nobody is sure how any potential draftee will go in the AFL. Including pick number 1. It's a guessing game based on as much research as possible.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 am

farmer joe wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:However, looking at the expected strength next year of clubs like the; Crows, Tigers, Cats, Port, Sydney and Giants, plus up and coming teams like Melbourne, Carlton and Dogs, I doubt this is a high probability.

Where do you expect us to finish next year? We made the 8 this year with 12 wins and more than a few games we should of won but didnt. The Hawks finished 12th with 10 wins. We have 11 home games plus a Freo derby. If we hit 80% wins in Perth we have 9-10 win plus we will beat Suns, Lions, North, Blues ect. No way we finish below 10th and we are still a good chance to make the 8. Dont forget Yeo is going to go to another level and he combines with Gov, JK and NN to give us a super strong core.
I am stoked the way today turned out. Finally we have got serious with our list management. LeCrap, MacKenzie & Co are on notice and would want to be putting some serious work in during the off season and not coasting as they have been.

Fair question; given by strong opinions. Honestly I would love us to finish top of the ladder next year, for NN to come back and be the best player ever and Simo to prove he is indeed a master coach and not just a good mate of the players and board. Then you can all post me and say; ‘har, har you fool FBPO, the dice rolled our way,’ but I won’t care because we will be holding the premiership cup. However, I fear the worst might be coming our way at the bottom of the table while at best I expect more mediocrity and a result that will have us about eight or nine. OK that sounds negative and it is but not without reason so let me explain, balls on the line style.

Like I tried to suggest in my original post I expect some teams to be a class above us, and the other teams. Without considering the draw irregularities with home game advantage, six day breaks and such, and not in table order; I expect these to be:
• Adelaide
• The drug cheating Scum (My early bet for Premiers)
• Port
• Sydney
• Richmond
• Geelong
• Giants

That leaves one spot in the eight for everyone else to be playing for. Real contenders for that spot will be:
• Melbourne (Almost this year, will be better next)
• Bulldogs (No hangover)
• Hawks (try keeping this coach down)
• Saints
• Collingwood
• Eagles (maybe, but possibly a big slider, see below)

Improving and just might surprise by a tilt at the eight is:
• Freo (They have some stars, have added some best 22 players and will draft two ‘A graders’)
• North (the rebuild continues but expect them to be better than last year with more surprise wins)
• Carlton (maybe a big improver)

Then there are the unlikely teams to make the eight, but both will probably be better than last year and harder to beat.
• Suns (Why did they stuff it up with the last coach?)
• Lions (the rebuild continues one year in and the club no longer a headless chook)

I can’t see the Eagles team being much better overall next year and we will be one of the few. The core from the end of the year will mostly be the same. The B graders we will, and have drafted will unlikely make up the slack of two ‘A graders retired’ or push too many of the remaining established players out. (Don’t get me wrong; good B graders are important to a team if they do their job. Most players in an AFL team are such. A rare one becomes an A grader; but not most) Do we have hidden gems already on the list? Maybe but who would know because we have a coach who will not play them or play them in their natural positions to find out; or they have been injured. We have an ‘A grader’ or two who will come back into the team in Lycett and NN but I fear NN will not be the saviour we want him to be next year. How well will he leap after a year and a half out of the game and a knee reckon he required after one such standard looking leap? How will he fight for the ball on the ground, on his knees as he has in the past? It might take another year to get back to his best but will that be as good as we once hoped? Lycett is also a year out of the game and though this is his time to shine he has been injury prone so who can be sure? Fingers crossed on both.

Traditionally we have always been a contender and one reason is we have had a big advantage in our home ground. Will this be that case next year? Maybe, however it could be that it will take a year or more to adjust to the dimensions, weather conditions and dampness. I doubt the dimensions will ever give us the big advantage over the circle playing Victorians that we have enjoyed in the past. Will the bigger crowd lift the Eagles to victory? Fingers crossed. Then there is the sad fact we played some really very boring football this year that gave no indication we were heading in any inspiring tactical direction; backwards was what it looked like to me. The inspiring wins we did have seemed more from shear player grit and will power rather than game plan or coaching moves.

So I might hope to finish first but I think there is a very real chance we will slide to the bottom six or worse – especially if we play the kids - and we will have a new coach by the end of the year. A new coach who will not be able to give us hope and take advantage of a poor finish by drafting us a West Australian ‘A grader’ in a super draft because this year we sold our future for some extra ‘B graders’ we will not play. Oh maybe we will trade out some stars to regain some high draft picks but thus begins a long journey into the unknown of a total rebuild rather than annual evolution.

We have taken a very big risk this year.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 am

jourgo wrote:Meanwhile Fremantle again made out like bandits in the trade period. Faced with Weller dropping the late bomb on them, Freo packaged him and 2x3rd round picks and enticed Gold Coast to give up pick 2 AND Brandon Matera.

Fuck me!

Yep, I was stunned. Impressive effort by Freo; for the first time ever! Being able to draft two “A graders” in the same draft is the sort of thing that will set them up for a future Premiership. Good on them for finally getting it right; respect.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
jourgo wrote:Meanwhile Fremantle again made out like bandits in the trade period. Faced with Weller dropping the late bomb on them, Freo packaged him and 2x3rd round picks and enticed Gold Coast to give up pick 2 AND Brandon Matera.

Fuck me!

Yep, I was stunned. Impressive effort by Freo; for the first time ever! Being able to draft two “A graders” in the same draft is the sort of thing that will set them up for a future Premiership. Good on them for finally getting it right; respect.

It was a good get plus bringing in Wilson, but without a power forward Freo are going nowhere. If they select a big power forward with either pick 2 or 5, they need five to six years development before having a real crack. Freo will botch it like they do.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 am

Fat Side wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:

Fuck me!

It was a good get plus bringing in Wilson, but without a power forward Freo are going nowhere. If they select a big power forward with either pick 2 or 5, they need five to six years development before having a real crack. Freo will botch it like they do.

They will de-list him after 3 years.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am

Looks like there are a few teams trying to go for a premiership next year.

Adelaide, Port, Scum, Cats.

Add sydney, Giants, richmond.

Are we uing the picks to rebuild...or to try and contend? We will know for certain on the 24th Nov.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Looks like there are a few teams trying to go for a premiership next year.

Adelaide, Port, Scum, Cats.

Add sydney, Giants, richmond.

Are we uing the picks to rebuild...or to try and contend? We will know for certain on the 24th Nov.

Its a mini rebuild. Get rid of list cloggers and replace them with young talent. Pretty much what most one these forums has been demanding. I expect that we may slide a few spots next year, but with a small injury list we may remain steady or improve. With six new draftees coming in it will be hard to imagine us having a red hot crack.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Fat Side wrote: I expect that we may slide a few spots next year,

Then why did we trade away our first rounder for next year in the supposed super draft :roll:

I don't know I just think this is going to hurt us

I hope this team of 2nd rounders we are building are going to be good in the future
The will to win.......its back !!!!

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm

penrith eagle wrote:

Then why did we trade away our first rounder for next year in the supposed super draft :roll:

The alternative was to use three trades and keep Wellingham, Hill and Lamb for another year. What's the sense in that?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Fat Side wrote:he alternative was to use three trades and keep Wellingham, Hill and Lamb for another year. What's the sense in that?

I understands what you are saying....but I would of kept and I hope that Wellingham stays on the list . I still believe he has got a lot to offer us and has experience which we have just lost a lot of.

Hill yes he has had his run and played well for the club but he is gone

Lamb has not developed so he should go as well

So that would leave us with four spots to fill.....We could of traded differently without giving away our first rounder for next year i don't know how they would of traded differently but they could have...thast what I am really worried about our first rounder next year in a supposed super draft

Even though I do not agree with it I am happy that it is not a Prictorian club that we are giving away our first rounder to but a interstate club who is struggling

But whats done is done...I hope we can find some genuine jets ......but I worry about the future

Its a big risk

thats all I'am saying

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:25 pm

In order to get something you need to give something.

We got something without having to give away one of the few star players we have.

I can see a lot of picks being traded next year as teams try to get into a better position in the draft.

Maybe Gaff will leave, it will most likely be to a huge million dollar contract which will easily give us a top 10, if not top 5 pick.

Anything could happen.

The wait to the draft is going to be annoying.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 pm

penrith eagle wrote:

I don't know I just think this is going to hurt us

I hope this team of 2nd rounders we are building are going to be good in the future

I guess it depends on how next year's draft is shaping up. It may be that the Eagles recruitment team see that there's likely little difference in the quality of player you get at 9, 19 and 29 - if so, trading backward reduces choice, but possibly not quality. It may that the Eagles have certain players that they're interested in that look (at this distance) like slipping a little - like how we wanted Sheed a couple of years ago, but correctly judged that he would be just as available at eleven as at six.

It may even be that we think that this year's draft crop is better than the general consensus.

Any of these guesses being wrong could hurt. If they're right, then it's a bold plan to regenerate the list this year.

What seems definite is that we're taking a pile of draft picks this year, including 13,21,26,32 and 37 and so we'll need at least five places free on the list, plus one for Ah Chee. Priddis, Mitchell, Giles and Butler are four, so we'd definitely be looking at two more - however after that we at 69, so might not be quite so enthusiastic there, which might give a lifeline to one of Hill, Lamb or Wellingham - but it would appear two are definitely gone from the main list at least.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm

I think 2 will be let go in the next week or so, the other will be held for now until after the draft. If we use 5 picks he survives, if we go with 6, he goes.

I think 67 will be used depending on who is available. If there is someone still there that we like we will grab them.
Pinion King
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Far out

Nicnat has a degenerative knee condition

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coas ... z4u3l.html

The club knew this and we have just traded away our first rounder for next year :( :(

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading