11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2019 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Ah Chee is on basic money plus match payments. If we can get a better experienced player cheaper then go for it, otherwise we stick with him. He’s depth. There are likely two more to go, probably Allen and Mutimer.

I tend to be a "Rip the Bandaid Off" kind of guy. And also very proactive and pragmatic.
If there's a problem ahead, or a loss looming, I prefer to tackle them head on, get them sorted, and move on.
In my job, they're actually good traits. But personnel issues are different.
If I were a list manger, not sure if I would be able to balance it correctly.
Plus, I think I have spent too much time working with Exploration Geologists. I'm naturally pessimistic, and my optimism is reserved for the unknown: The grass is always greener, and the next hole may be the big one so keep drilling.

In all honestly, I'm in two minds on my opinion on how the club should proceed this time around. IMHO we have players that are just going nowhere and should be delisted. But on the other we are reduced to rubbish picks, the Rookie Draft, and delisted players. Slim pickings to be sure. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Yep. It’s a juggling act. Trying to determine potential, salary cap, depth and development is an inexact science. With the WAFL team we now need to look upon players more broadly. Ah Chee May be a good experienced big body that helps develop our draftees in the WAFL and help keep them competitive. We need the WAFL side to be playing finals and we need players to be able to step straight into the senior side if required. We have seen an almost seamless transition for players stepping into the AFL side, particularly Rotham, Watson and Cameron. The role played by the Brooksbys, Ah Chees and Smiths, as experienced players, are no doubt contributing to all those things. Unfortunately we will need to move a couple of players on.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:37 am

Fat Side wrote:Yep. It’s a juggling act. Trying to determine potential, salary cap, depth and development is an inexact science. With the WAFL team we now need to look upon players more broadly. Ah Chee May be a good experienced big body that helps develop our draftees in the WAFL and help keep them competitive. We need the WAFL side to be playing finals and we need players to be able to step straight into the senior side if required. We have seen an almost seamless transition for players stepping into the AFL side, particularly Rotham, Watson and Cameron. The role played by the Brooksbys, Ah Chees and Smiths, as experienced players, are no doubt contributing to all those things. Unfortunately we will need to move a couple of players on.

Yeah, one of the benefits of the East Perth Alignment was the Veteran Leadership at the Royals. There's something to be said for guys who have spent over a decade playing senior footy purely for the love of the game and the club.
That's been difficult to implement with the WAFL team. We were fortunate to be allowed to use Petrie. I'd hope that in future retiring guys like Masto were allowed to play in the WAFL team, (if that's what they wanted) but the WAFL is concerned about our team becoming too powerful.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:51 pm

MelbourneBased wrote:The West Coast Eagles have informed players Kurt Mutimer, Matthew Allen and Keegan Brooksby they will not be offered contracts for the 2020 season.
https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news ... st-changes

I can't find any news on Brayshaw, on whether he is being offered a Senior or Rookie List position....

I'll avoid using the H word, as that tends to send the wrong message.

Around this time of year, I get a little nervous that we're not going to make the hard choices. Then I get relieved when we do, and sometimes I guess I get over-expressive.

I wish these guys all the best, but I agree with the decisions. That's 4/6 I called for (6/8 including the B-List guys). I'm not a hug wrap on Ah Chee or Smith, but given our lack of picks this year its probably not a bad move.

Hopefully Mutimer has the opportunity to return home to Victoria, play in the VFL, and down the track may attract further interest.

I still think Allen has potential as a KPP. Given their many departures, perhaps Adelaide will give him consideration as a delisted Free-Agent.

Brooksby did everything expected of him as backup to our backup. Unfortunately he just never should have been here.
We committed to taking him in the supplemental period, but we then traded for Hickey and drafted Williams. But frankly he was always a poor choice as a backup, an old-skool ruck, able to hold his own in the centre and not much else. He may gome home to SA, but if he likes it here in Perth there might be a couple of WAFL clubs interested.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:40 am

The promotion of Watson was a no-brainer at this point - he's got a much better chance of success than pick 695 in the draft or whatever our third pick will end up being.

Clearly we have no intent to do more than take our three and done this year including Watson. So with Kelly in, and Masten, MAllen and Mutimer out I'd expect we're done (IIRC we have one empty main list spot, so that will have to be filled). I think the rest of our fringe have done enough to justify their spots for 2020, including the likes of Ah Chee and Smith who are certainly useful depth that hopefully won't be needed next year, so if they get a game, it's because they have dramatically improved.

Basically for us, the trade/draft period will be:
TIM KELLY (plus some other stuff)

I'm cool with that.

The challenge in 2020 will be to get some development into a lot of the kids on the fringe list while we're still clearly chasing flag #5. While the "premiership window" is open, you have to try and grab one, because the chance might not come along again any time soon. My gut says we either get 2020/2021 or we don't get another flag in this era though it's tough with the Tiggers and Maggies getting 103 games a year at the MCG.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am

Mr Q wrote:The promotion of Watson was a no-brainer at this point - he's got a much better chance of success than pick 695 in the draft or whatever our third pick will end up being.

I most agree with everything you said, but will clarify this: We have to fill a spot. As a general rule, we're better off going with a pick in 6th round of the ND, than waiting for 3rd round of the Rookie Draft.
However: The difference is marginal, a rookie draftee still only gets a one year deal I think, we can fill a rookie spot in the supplemental period, and in the mid-season draft.
Besides, I think Watson was due for promotion, based on ability & progress.

I too would expect, barring any new extraordinary developments, that this is it for delistings.
5 players is probably a little below average, but given we traded away all our draft picks that's understandable.
Maybe they will look at changing the roles of Ah Chee and Smith for next year??
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:31 pm

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-30/ ... former-pie

FORMER Magpie Josh Smith has been cut by West Coast ahead of Thursday's first list lodgment deadline.
The 25-year-old played two games for the Eagles this season after being picked up in last year's NAB AFL Rookie Draft, following 32 games at Collingwood.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-30/dockers-delist-contracted-pair-eagles-axe-former-pie

FORMER Magpie Josh Smith has been cut by West Coast ahead of Thursday's first list lodgment deadline.
The 25-year-old played two games for the Eagles this season after being picked up in last year's NAB AFL Rookie Draft, following 32 games at Collingwood.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but I am pleasantly surprised.

Good on the club for giving the guy a 2nd chance, but watching him in the WAFL he wasn't even up to WAFL midfield quality. And he is too small to be an effective AFL defender. As a small guy, if you haven't shown it by your mid twenties, it's probably not going to happen.

All up, that's 7 out of the 8 I thought should finish. Considering our lack of picks, I'm very happy with that.

Please check my math, but I assume this means we will go to 40 on the senior list. 2 picks plus elevate Watson.
Then 3 picks in the Rookie Draft for a 4 man Rookie List.
So 5 new faces.
Intrigued to see what the strategy will be, whether we look outside the box to fill some of those places.

Since we have cleaned out our B list, I wonder if we have our eyes on a couple more NGA rookies??

I did wonder if we might be going to look at a delisted Free-Agent, but I don't think we have cleaned out enough places on the Senior List.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:37 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-30/dockers-delist-contracted-pair-eagles-axe-former-pie

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but I am pleasantly surprised.

Good on the club for giving the guy a 2nd chance, but watching him in the WAFL he wasn't even up to WAFL midfield quality. And he is too small to be an effective AFL defender. As a small guy, if you haven't shown it by your mid twenties, it's probably not going to happen.

All up, that's 7 out of the 8 I thought should finish. Considering our lack of picks, I'm very happy with that.

Please check my math, but I assume this means we will go to 40 on the senior list. 2 picks plus elevate Watson.
So 5 new faces.
Intrigued to see what the strategy will be, whether we look outside the box to fill some of those places.

Since we have cleaned out our B list, I wonder if we have our eyes on a couple more NGA rookies??

I did wonder if we might be going to look at a delisted Free-Agent, but I don't think we have cleaned out enough places on the Senior List.

I think we will need to go through the draft as we probably don’t have the quids to pay any newcomers more than basic money. Last year we had a 39 man senior list with five rookies. We may need to do that again given our tight TPP issue that came from signing Kelly.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:46 am

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Please check my math, but I assume this means we will go to 40 on the senior list. 2 picks plus elevate Watson.
So 5 new faces.

Last year we had a 39 man senior list with five rookies. We may need to do that again given our tight TPP issue that came from signing Kelly.

Check my math but by my count we already have 38 seniors (including Watson) so taking two more in the draft will take us to 40
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Brayshaw and Ah Chee delisted. The club has committed to rookie listing them should they be available.

We must be going in with a senior list of 38 instead of 40. No doubt due to salary cap pressures.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-12/ ... agles-axed
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Fat Side wrote:Brayshaw and Ah Chee delisted. The club has committed to rookie listing them should they be available.

We must be going in with a senior list of 38 instead of 40. No doubt due to salary cap pressures.

I thought these guys had contracts. Have they decided to delist them and redraft them as draft picks? It doesn't specifically say to rookie list them. Has the club decided there's no one they want?
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Brayshaw and Ah Chee delisted. The club has committed to rookie listing them should they be available.

I thought these guys had contracts. Have they decided to delist them and redraft them as draft picks? It doesn't specifically say to rookie list them. Has the club decided there's no one they want?

Both are out of contract. Ah Chee was on a one year deal and Brayshaw completed his mandatory two year contract upon being drafted.

We have at least three vacant rookie positions, but if we choose to reduce our senior list to 38, we can take six rookies (five more). Sydney have been doing this for a few years - no doubt to fit Franklin and Tippett into their salary caps.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm

We have supposedly recommitted them to draft as rookies.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Ah Chee I can understand. Clearly the club is sorry for upsetting me with the Kelly trade, and is doing everything else I wanted.

Brayshaw I'm a bit worried. The kids has potential and could attract some interest. At least his Dad didn't get the gig at Freo.

I don't understand the reasoning given
Due to our requirement for flexibility around our primary list numbers as we approach the draft
but then again Vozzo is full of shit so what else is new.
I know we can only enter the draft with as many picks as we have places, but our picks are rubbish anyway.

It could be a salary cap thing, but it would be 3/5's of SFA. Not even sure what the difference is anymore.

It might be that they have decided its better to take two extra picks at the end of the National Draft (when everyone else is passing) than wait and take spread-out picks in the Rookie Draft.

Might also be that we have our eyes on a delisted Free-Agent or two, or pehaps are targetting someone in the PSD.

Pr maybe they're just trying to keep us entertained. :lol:
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:15 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:

Ah Chee I can understand. Clearly the club is sorry for upsetting me with the Kelly trade, and is doing everything else I wanted.

Brayshaw I'm a bit worried. The kids has potential and could attract some interest. At least his Dad didn't get the gig at Freo.

I don't understand the reasoning given
Due to our requirement for flexibility around our primary list numbers as we approach the draft
but then again Vozzo is full of shit so what else is new.
I know we can only enter the draft with as many picks as we have places, but our picks are rubbish anyway.

It could be a salary cap thing, but it would be 3/5's of SFA. Not even sure what the difference is anymore.

It might be that they have decided its better to take two extra picks at the end of the National Draft (when everyone else is passing) than wait and take spread-out picks in the Rookie Draft.

Might also be that we have our eyes on a delisted Free-Agent or two, or pehaps are targetting someone in the PSD.

Pr maybe they're just trying to keep us entertained. :lol:

I suspect we will have a senior list of 38 with six rookies. The rookies will include Brayshaw and Ah Chee as well as three more selections. We will select two in the ND. It's the cost of getting Kelly to the club and fitting into the salary cap.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading