West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Streaker on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm

It's that time again. Time to discuss the list and where we're at. What do we need and how do we go about getting it.

Trade:

With Gaff's and McGoverns contract under the microscope with both being Restricted Free Agents the jungle drums are beating that we're going to lose one or both of them. Personally I doubt we'll lose either as we cleared a lot of salary cap room last year and it's been said that we didn't increase players salaries once the cap was raised. Luke Partington and Malcolm Karpany are both out of contract and may request a trade back to South Australia but I can't see either Adelaide or Port Adelaide picking them up. Another South Australian who's contract is up is Matthew Allen who may look for opportunities elsewhere but again I can't see another club taking him.

Retire:

McKenzie and Schofield would both be looking at the gold watch this year. McKenzie hasn't been able to get back on the park and Schofield would only be considered under dire circumstances. The fact that we're blooding the Allen boys down back at East Perth certainly points to McKenzie and Schofields demise along with opposition teams generally playing with a more mobile smaller forward line. Schofield still has another year on his contract.

LeCras has been good this year after recovering from his hip injury. He's been more agile and defensive and been kicking longer this year. Can he play another season? Only time will tell. Probably to early to call so perhaps wait til later in the season.

Lewis Jetta isn't exactly setting the world on fire and seems to have lost a bit of pace. Chris Masten has played a role this year and looks to be in good form but he too has younger players beating down the door to take his position. Both Jetta and Masten may be considered for retirement this year. Masten still has another year on his contract.

Delist:

Malcolm Karnapy just doesn't look to me as if he's going to make it at AFL level. Doesn't seem to have picked up the rhythm or pace required. McInnes may be a possibility for delisting if we pick up a young ruck or Olango takes giant strides.

So for mine it's

Trade:
Luke Partington

Retire:
McKenzie
Schofield
LeCras
Jetta

Delist:
Karpany
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:22 am

Inevitably we need to free up three places minimum before the draft. Like you I think we will retain all three free agents and I agree that Partington, Karpany and Matthew Allen are unlikely to be picked up by another club. Partington the most likely. I think we will retain Partington and M.Allen. Allen is a key position forward and is not 21 yet. He has been developing and should be given at least another year to see if he can have an impact. Karpany, although suffering a long term knee injury this year, just hasn't done enough to push into the team. I think he has the ability to play regular AFL footy, but we are not getting the best out of him. It's likely he goes. Mutimer is an interesting player too. He may find himself being delisted.

Schofield will stay as cover in the evnt of injury to either of Barrass/McGovern and I don't think Oscar Allen/Rotham will be ready to step into a regular KPD position next year. Mackenzie I think will go. He is on a one year deal.

I think Jetta will get another year, but his contract will be reduced. McInnes is an interesting one. He is finally showing that he can be a dominant player at WAFL level and can hold a spot at AFL level, but he may not get opportunities at the WCE with Naitanui, Lycett and Vardy (probably) ahead of him. Freo are desperate for a KPF/Ruck and it may provide him with more opportunities. Mind you he is on the rookie list. LeCras may retire, but he's playing well enough to get another year. Ah Chee is on a one year deal and I suspect he will be re-signed for next year.

So, which three go? My guess is it will likely be Karpany, Mutimer and Mackenzie (possibly LeCras with Ryan, Rioli etc pushing in). If we want to have a greater presence at this year's draft, we may see the back of Partington too. We had wholesale changes last year and we have a relatively young list so I don't expect many changes. Up to four perhaps.

TRADE
NIl

DELIST
Karpany
Mutimer

RETIRE
LeCras
Mackenzie
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm

The longer the Gold Coast Suns stink up this year the better our trade looks. Can't believe there is talk of a priority pick for them now - they traded away stupidly last year and now they need more picks?

In terms of delisting, I'd be going Karpany, McInnes and retiring Lecras and one of Schofield/Mckenzie. I think Mutimer deserves another year.

We won't have many early picks assuming we don't lose any FA, so don't need a huge list turnover this year. Whether us picking up so many talls in the 2017 draft will impact Watson / Olango / Rotham / Allen going forward is probably the only other question.
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:01 pm

CouchPotato wrote:The longer the Gold Coast Suns stink up this year the better our trade looks. Can't believe there is talk of a priority pick for them now - they traded away stupidly last year and now they need more picks?

In terms of delisting, I'd be going Karpany, McInnes and retiring Lecras and one of Schofield/Mckenzie. I think Mutimer deserves another year.

We won't have many early picks assuming we don't lose any FA, so don't need a huge list turnover this year. Whether us picking up so many talls in the 2017 draft will impact Watson / Olango / Rotham / Allen going forward is probably the only other question.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-14/h ... -the-shade

At the time, many questioned why a West Coast team anticipated to drop down the ladder in 2018 would trade away a lucrative draft pick for any amount of second-round selections...However, the result appears a deal that could turn into a draft bonanza for the high-flying Eagles.

It appears that the AFL are reading EFH.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:32 pm

We owe the Suns a favour I reckon, as it turns out.

Though our surprising form is due to far, far more than a some extra second round draft selections, none of the 2017 crop having played more than a few games.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote: none of the 2017 crop having played more than a few games.
True so far. But every one that has, has made an impact, improved the team and looked like a good AFL player. Even those that haven't yet debuted have looked good at EP and every one of them looks more like a 'when they debut' rather than an 'if they debut' prospect.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby CouchPotato on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:We owe the Suns a favour I reckon, as it turns out.

Though our surprising form is due to far, far more than a some extra second round draft selections, none of the 2017 crop having played more than a few games.

We owe the saints now too - come from behind to beat the suns
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Currently we have picks 22, 35, 62 and 71
Before the trades we would have had 17, 35, 53 and 71

Picks 22 and 35 should still net us 2 decent players.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am

Streaker wrote:Currently we have picks 22, 35, 62 and 71

McGovern and Gaff are restricted free agents. I think the club would match any offer and force the other club to trade for either of them. Like Adelaide did for Dangerfield. Otherwise we would only get a first round pick, after our first. Same as Hawthorn got for Buddy, something in the teens. Mcgovern is worth more than Lever and he was two first rounders and Gaff as much as Gibbs, who also got two first round picks.I think this may have been on mind for some of the West Coast List Managers and I wonder how hard they are trying to retain both of those players.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:50 am

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:
Streaker wrote:Currently we have picks 22, 35, 62 and 71

McGovern and Gaff are restricted free agents. I think the club would match any offer and force the other club to trade for either of them. Like Adelaide did for Dangerfield. Otherwise we would only get a first round pick, after our first. Same as Hawthorn got for Buddy, something in the teens. Mcgovern is worth more than Lever and he was two first rounders and Gaff as much as Gibbs, who also got two first round picks.I think this may have been on mind for some of the West Coast List Managers and I wonder how hard they are trying to retain both of those players.

If they do go, solely from a 'moneyball' perspective of the world, you couldn't ask for more from McGov. Gone from a rookie list pickup to trade out at his 'peak' for 2 first round picks.

Having said that, I think both of them are really important to our structures - regularly involved in scoring chains and defensive intercepts. Don't want to lose either of them, but if we do it has to be at the values you mention above (2 first round picks). We cannot rely on Free-Agent compensation from the VFL.

You look at Banfield and Cerra at Freo and it shows the quality you can get into a team quite quickly, but I don't want to be spending 2 or 3 years waiting for new kids to develop and become consistent while we lose Nic Nat's best years, Kennedy, Darling etc.

Must keep both of them and Lycett.
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 am

CouchPotato wrote:
Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:McGovern and Gaff are restricted free agents. I think the club would match any offer and force the other club to trade for either of them. Like Adelaide did for Dangerfield. Otherwise we would only get a first round pick, after our first. Same as Hawthorn got for Buddy, something in the teens. Mcgovern is worth more than Lever and he was two first rounders and Gaff as much as Gibbs, who also got two first round picks.I think this may have been on mind for some of the West Coast List Managers and I wonder how hard they are trying to retain both of those players.

If they do go, solely from a 'moneyball' perspective of the world, you couldn't ask for more from McGov. Gone from a rookie list pickup to trade out at his 'peak' for 2 first round picks.

Having said that, I think both of them are really important to our structures - regularly involved in scoring chains and defensive intercepts. Don't want to lose either of them, but if we do it has to be at the values you mention above (2 first round picks). We cannot rely on Free-Agent compensation from the VFL.

You look at Banfield and Cerra at Freo and it shows the quality you can get into a team quite quickly, but I don't want to be spending 2 or 3 years waiting for new kids to develop and become consistent while we lose Nic Nat's best years, Kennedy, Darling etc.

I agree with your sentiments, but I don't think he arrived at the club by accident. The club has invested in scouts to scour the lower leagues looking for diamonds in the rough like him, and many fail to shine. I don't know the story exactly, but a lot of work was done to develop him into the player he is and the club deserves compensation for all that work.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby CouchPotato on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am

CouchPotato wrote:
Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:McGovern and Gaff are restricted free agents. I think the club would match any offer and force the other club to trade for either of them. Like Adelaide did for Dangerfield. Otherwise we would only get a first round pick, after our first. Same as Hawthorn got for Buddy, something in the teens. Mcgovern is worth more than Lever and he was two first rounders and Gaff as much as Gibbs, who also got two first round picks.I think this may have been on mind for some of the West Coast List Managers and I wonder how hard they are trying to retain both of those players.

I agree with your sentiments, but I don't think he arrived at the club by accident. The club has invested in scouts to scour the lower leagues looking for diamonds in the rough like him, and many fail to shine. I don't know the story exactly, but a lot of work was done to develop him into the player he is and the club deserves compensation for all that work.

Yea I don't think it was a fluke - club deserves its kudos for that development and as you say, it deserves compensation for that as well.

At the end of the day, the club has done all it can to keep these 3 - good performance on field and brand new facilities off field, plus great after career support. If they think they'll get something better elsewhere then good luck, but the cost of their move will likely cripple their new club. Speak to Juddy about it...
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:55 am

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/ea ... 4zuy1.html
West Coast are set to land former Australian under-17s basketball representative Patrick Bines as a category B rookie.

An opportunity presents itself.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Fat Side wrote:https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/eagles-set-to-land-former-australian-junior-basketballer-20180801-p4zuy1.html
West Coast are set to land former Australian under-17s basketball representative Patrick Bines as a category B rookie.

How many of these cat b rookies have ever panned out? Just the irish players? That Canadian who played ruck for Sydney? Mason Cox? I guess Cox is okay. Are they worth the investment?
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:01 am

Fat Side wrote:https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/eagles-set-to-land-former-australian-junior-basketballer-20180801-p4zuy1.html

How many of these cat b rookies have ever panned out? Just the irish players? That Canadian who played ruck for Sydney? Mason Cox? I guess Cox is okay. Are they worth the investment?

What investment? A few extra dollars? Do they count towards the salary cap? Most would be on very minimal anyways, so I can't imagine there would be much wasted by taking a chance.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading